Hey guys,

My name is Benjamin and I'm an aspiring computer engineer.

I like science, gaming and almost anything that's related to computers, Which leads me to that:

I'm going to buy my first laptop (not desktop) because of mobility, even if I'm losing battery life. I have made my decision: I'll run linux off of it(Debian or ubuntu) and I have a 1100$ budget.

I am going to program on it, learn, watch movies, and game. I've already found a MSI laptop for this price: it has a core i7 6700hq, a 256gB ssd(+1tB HD), a gtx 970m with a 17 inch screen.

I was wondering if it was a bit overkill for my needs but I want to have comfortable performance for 5 to 6 years.

So I'd like your advices and opinion and why not giving me any other laptop recommandations.

Thanks,

Benjamin.

A couple of key points:

- Never get the best laptop out there for "5 to 6 years", because in all honesty, a laptop normally maxes it's life span in 3-4 tops

- You mentioned you are going to run Linux, and said you are planning to game on it. Do you know which games? Because otherwise I would recommend even dual-booting windows

- If you wanna work on a laptop, or game on it, you will most likely need an external monitor, and a wireless mouse/keyboard for comfort. (I too am a developer)
  Meaning - you have to get the monitor (150$ min), and the mouse/keyboard (around 50$) to your budget. Maybe even get a nice 50$ doc that will have everything ready.

- If you agree with the previous point, on the external monitor, I would reconsider the size of the laptop. 17 inch is not very comfortable..

For recomendations:

- Where are you from? Is amazon OK?

- Please link / write the model of your found laptop