My experience: Upgrading 3570k to 3770k

Torand

Project

So, I decided I wanted a spec bump. Not a socket change, as my rig is fine and I didn't want to fork out for a whole new socket system, unless I was going to 2011. So i decided to upgrade my 3570k to a 3770k, as I missed my 2600s from my old iMac. I didn't have the budget at the time to go with a 3770k, although it was a planned upgrade path from the start.

So I purchased a 3770k when I had saved enough, also just upgraded to a 7970 Matrix Platinum, selling old hardware to juggle the cost and it seems to have worked out well so far.

Testing

So, I set aside some time to benchmark (moderately) my current rig speeds on my 3570k, so I could compare after the upgrade to see what exactly my gains from the upgrade were. I was suprised with some results and also very happy with others.

Tests:

chart_img.png

(very handy tip: select the area in excel you want to save as a picture, Go to copy > copy as picture > highlighted area. Paste into your image editor and save! :D )

Link to my excel spreadsheet.

Link to video I used for the AE and C4D test.

All the information should be there. Yes it was a short test time, but the main ones i was interested in, plus the ones I kinda already knew I would get a tangible increase in were mainly; Minecraft and Cinema 4d.

Conclusion

As mentioned in the chart, I think its still a worth while upgrade. This rig will last me a good few years at least, I'm a tinkerer and I will always have something to spend money on... :)

I certainly found this upgrade worth my money and I would give the nod to anyone also looking to upgrade, but not their entire platform, just a bump within the same socket.

Thanks guys, feel free to comment on my notes, scores, clarification, etc.. ^_^

(there were a few anomalies I know which ones they are, it was a small test subject and I was also running stuff under my typical work load. I wasn't going to spend all day on it, only something I wanted as a quick comparison for personal use in which I thought I would share.)

very nice.  Interesting how much minecraft benefits from hyperthreading.  That actually a significant bump in performance. 

Corsair Obsidian 800D | Msi GD-80 z68 | Intel Core i72600k (stock speeds at the moment) | Msi Gtx 570 twin frozr III | 8GB Corsair Dominator @1600mHz | Coolermaster evo 212 temporary) | Cooled by Gelid Wings | Intel SRT smart caching | Windows 7 ultimate x64

I find the 76% increase in Minecraft FPS hilarious. And I like that Excel tip!

Desktop: Intel Core i7-5820K, Corsair H115i, Asus X99-Deluxe/USB 3.1, G.Skill Ripjaws4 32GB 2800MHz CL16, Zotac RTX 3070, Samsung 950 Pro 512GB in Angelbird Wings PX1, Samsung 850 EVO 1TB, 5*Seagate 12TB, Cooler Master V1200, Phanteks Enthoo Luxe, Windows 10 Pro. Phillips 328P6VUBREB, Corsair Vengeance K95 RGB Cherry MX Brown, Logitech G502 X Plus, Sennheiser HD700.

AYANEO 2S: AMD 7800U, 32GB 7500MHz, 2TB WD SN850X. Windows 11.

I find it really weird that it's benefitting FPS in games so much.

very nice.  Interesting how much minecraft benefits from hyperthreading.  That actually a significant bump in performance. 

Yes, I was expecting maybe 10-25 frames more, but I was quite suprised with the result. The test was flying erratically in creative mode around new generated terrain. I certainly was not expecting my frame rate to nearly double. Interesting to say the least. Most benefit will come from the mod intensive FTB.

Awesome post @MysteriousKiwi interesting read

Thank you. :)

Were both tests with the processors performed with the 7970 or was your old gpu used with the 3570k and the 7970 with the 3770k?

Corsair C70 | Gigabyte Widnforce R9 280x | AMD FX8320 3.5ghz | Corsair 750m | Gigabyte 990FXA-ud3 | Mushkin 120gb SSD | Seagate Barracuda 1tb | Mushkin 16gb ddr3 1333mhz Ram

I find it really weird that it's benefitting FPS in games so much.

Like I said, it was a small test (30 seconds) although in all games, bar minecraft, I was doing the exact same things in the exact same parts of the maps. Farcry was a mission checkpoint in which I didn't save after taking the benchmark then ran the same direction with same actions again.

BF3 I was at the same point in metro, although I think the results differ as toward the end of the bench. on the 3770k we were pushed indoors, so half~ of the result was in doors on metro, thus the probable cause of the anomaly? I was in firefights the entire time, and I ditched a few benchmarks as I was killed and in the spawn screen, where frame rates will obviously be through the roof, so pointless.

It was interesting, but maybe shows the hopeful future of more thread optimized games? ;)

Were both tests with the processors performed with the 7970 or was your old gpu used with the 3570k and the 7970 with the 3770k?

Both with the 7970 at stock everything. :)

Both with the 7970 at stock everything. :)

Very nice improvement in performance then  :D

Corsair C70 | Gigabyte Widnforce R9 280x | AMD FX8320 3.5ghz | Corsair 750m | Gigabyte 990FXA-ud3 | Mushkin 120gb SSD | Seagate Barracuda 1tb | Mushkin 16gb ddr3 1333mhz Ram

I find the 76% increase in Minecraft FPS hilarious. And I like that Excel tip!

Funny in a good or bad way?

And yeh that excel tip came in very handy, I didn't realise you could do that until I Google'd when i thought there had to be a better way... :P

Share the knowledge and all that! ^_^

Very nice improvement in performance then  :D

Indeed! ^_^

Although I do take some results with a pinch of salt, may vary +-10%-%15... maybe.

Without running serious gaming sessions and taking the avg. from hours of playing then I wont know. Leave that to the pro's. :P

Because Minecraft was written in Java, it was only smart to make it multi-threaded.

Desktop: Intel Core i7-6700K, ASUS Z170-A, ASUS STRIX GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4 RAM, 512 GB Samsund 840 Pro, Seasonic X series 650W PSU, Fractal Design Define R4, 2x5TB HDD

Hypervisor 1: Intel Xeon E5-2630L, ASRock EPC612D8, 16GB DDR4 ECC RAM, Intel RT3WB080 8-port RAID controller plus expansion card, Norco RPC-4020 case, 20x2TB WD Red HDD

Other spare hypervisors: Dell Poweredge 2950, HP Proliant DL380 G5

Laptops: ThinkPads, lots of ThinkPads

Honestly wasn't expecting Minecraft to have such an increase in performance, that's kind of cool.

In terms of other performance, it seems mostly expected. Some of the FPS increases are a little bit more than I expected.

Interesting! Good benchmarking!

Current gaming rig: i5 3570k, Asus P8Z77-V, Asus GeForce GTX 660Ti, Corsair Vengeance 8gb (2x4gb) 1600MHz (blue), Corsair AX760i, Corsair Graphite 600T, Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo, NZXT Hue, NZXT Sentry Mesh, WD Caviar Black 1TB.

Current gaming laptop: Scan 3XS Graphite LG175, i7 4700QM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 765M, Corsair Vengeance 8gb (2x4gb) 1600MHZ, Samsung 840 Pro 128gb, WD Scorpio Black 500gb.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Wow, BF3 difference is very big. So i5 is bottlenecking in some games. I don't regret I bought 3770k instead of i5. This test is good for them who thinks there is no difference in gaming between i7 & i5 & they cheap out on cpu.

| CPU: i7 3770k | MOTHERBOARD: MSI Z77A-G45 Gaming | GPU: GTX 770 | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Trident X | PSU: XFX PRO 1050w | STORAGE: SSD 120GB PQI +  6TB HDD | COOLER: Thermaltake: Water 2.0 | CASE: Cooler Master: HAF 912 Plus |

interesting how going from 4 threads to 8 yields a large increase in Minecraft. unless i'm doing something wrong, i never see more than one thread utilized (i've tried Optifine in the past on my prior Phenom II quad-core, but that made things worse), but i still get around 150 fps when uncapped.

then again, your RAM speed might have an effect...

Desktop: CM Elite 130 - Corsair CX600M PSU - Asus Maximus VI Impact - Intel Core i7-4790K (@4.4GHz) - Corsair H80i - 2x8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 - Asus DirectCUII Radeon R9 290 - 250GB Samsung EVO SSD + 4TB WD Red HDD

Laptop: Asus N56DP-DH11 (AMD A10-4600M - Radeon HD7730M) -------------------------------------------------------- I know, I'm a bit of an AMD fanboy --------------------------------------------------------

"It's not what you drive; it's how you drive it."   ~~Jeremy Clark, TopGear