Asus X-99A 3.1 error code bF code fix/support thread!

z97

Okay so I recently had an issue with this code... and I'm sure most the people that have/had this code find it nearly impossible to find anything on the web that actually works. This thread is to hopefully help you out. (This is my first time doing something like that so correct me if I am wrong!)

What is the code and what does it mean?
There is some form of issue with the memory that will cause the computer not to post or go into bios. (In my case it was the bios)

Trouble shooting steps:
Check each individual ram on the slots of the mobo.
Pull the cmos battery for 10+ minutes and try replacing. (This will clear your bios settings so you may have luck here)
Bios flashback via a usb... please google this step if you do it..
Check your power connections
PULL YOUR BIOS CHIP OUT AND RESEAT IT (this may not work in some cases)

Common issues that I've read:
Bios will be in an infinite loop
Computer will not post
Everything works but no display

Possibilities that may be at hand:
Bios is corrupted
RAM is dying/not supported with the board
Memory controller died in your cpu
Mother board is bricked.

If you are not able to fix the following with the cmos trick or the bios chip PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE just RMA the board before you spend tons of money throwing parts at it unless you have the ability to use a test bench with working components!!!!

Now here's what actually worked for me:
Luckily I had a second motherboard (same model... I bent some pins.. shame on me) and I swapped the bios chips out. Powered it and luckily mine went into bios and then booted.

Please if you do find something that works, please feel free to post it here. I can not tell you how many countless hours I spent trying to correct this issue.

Thank you for the time.

CPU: I7 5960X @4612 MHZ/1.325Vcore | Cooler: Full custom loop | Mobo: Asus X-99A | GPU: 2 EVGA 980 TI Classifieds | RAM: G.Skill Trident Z 32 GBs 3200 MHZ | Storage: Samsung SM951 512 GB M.2 Drive, Mushkin Eco2 512 GB SSD, Muskin Chronos 480 GB SSD | PSU: Corsair HX 1000i | Case: Fractal define R5 | Monitor: LG 34UC87M-B

3 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

Nice troubleshooting guide and thanks for sharing.

Nice build.  I'm a little jealous. 

;)

Keep it for someone that may need it haha. I had to sleep it off from the other night I was so ready to just break it!

CPU: I7 5960X @4612 MHZ/1.325Vcore | Cooler: Full custom loop | Mobo: Asus X-99A | GPU: 2 EVGA 980 TI Classifieds | RAM: G.Skill Trident Z 32 GBs 3200 MHZ | Storage: Samsung SM951 512 GB M.2 Drive, Mushkin Eco2 512 GB SSD, Muskin Chronos 480 GB SSD | PSU: Corsair HX 1000i | Case: Fractal define R5 | Monitor: LG 34UC87M-B

• 5 years later...

Can anyone help me with this or recommend somewhere I can get help? I haven't been able to use my computer for like 2 years because of this error. I get bF every time I start the computer and then it shuts down by itself. If I leave only one RAM stick in the first slot it will boot up and act normally for a while but eventually it dies and goes back to the bF error

asus x99a usb 3.1 mobo

i7 6800k

gtx 1060

Corsair CMK16GX4M4A2666C16 Vengeance LPX 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 DRAM 2666MHz