Molex too much power for DVD/CD Writer? help!

Hello.

i wanted to DBAN a computer but you needed a CD for that.

since the pc had no dvd writer i took one from an other pc and connected it up to my pc

but when i turned the pc on the dvd/cd drive fried, there was coming smoke out of it.

the drive was always working with the molex to sata connector.

i dont know what i did wrong. on the photo's you see everything ive used to connect it up.

the pc is still working.

i dont know wich molex ive used the one with more cables or the one with less cables, does someone know wich to use if thats needed?

does someone know why it got fried??

thanks.!!!

IMG_2643.JPG

IMG_2644.JPG

IMG_2645.JPG

3 minutes ago, sniper1k5 said:

Hello.

i wanted to DBAN a computer but you needed a CD for that.

since the pc had no dvd writer i took one from an other pc and connected it up to my pc

but when i turned the pc on the dvd/cd drive fried, there was coming smoke out of it.

i dont know what i did wrong. on the photo's you see everything ive used to connect it up.

i dont know wich molex ive used the one with more cables or the one with less cables, does someone know wich to use if thats needed?

does someone know why it got fried??

thanks.!!!

IMG_2643.JPG

IMG_2644.JPG

IMG_2645.JPG

That looks like a POS power supply and that's most likely the problem.

comic SAAAAANS

i7 4790K | 4.5ghz @1.19v / 1080 ti strix oc  / Asus Z97 Pro Gamer  / 970 Evo 500GB | 850 Evo 500GB / Corsair 780t white|window  

PG279Q | VG248QE/ Corsair ax860i   /   Corsair H110i GTX   /  Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB 2400mhz /

3 minutes ago, Unexas. said:

That looks like a POS power supply and that's most likely the problem.

what does that mean???

it looks like a regular power supply its not external or longer then normal. its jsut as big as my corsair vs650

POS = Piece Of Shit... He means your power supply isn't good.

1 minute ago, McHox said:

comic SAAAAANS

i like the font ok xD

Both molex connectors SHOULD be fine, to use your converter to SATA on.

1 minute ago, Dutch-stoner said:

POS = Piece Of Shit... He means your power supply isn't good.

i dont think thats the problem cause the power supply and the dvd writer are from the same pc and that powr supply worked with the drive when it was inb the other pc i mean it is still working and my hard drive works too

2 minutes ago, Dutch-stoner said:

i know they are fine :( maybe the dvd writer failed or something? ive opened it up and the board where the sata connectors are stink like that exploded but everything looks okay on that board :/ 

5 minutes ago, Dutch-stoner said:

i accidently connected up the drive while the pc was still on and it gave a spark. but that was 2 weeks ago and after that it still worked fine but now it got fried when i reconnected it after a while idk :(

38 minutes ago, Dutch-stoner said:

ik ben ook nederlands

Welkom welkom dan! :P En ach, ik heb vroeger, toen ik zelf extra molex kabels er bij knutselde, veel meer kwijt geraakt... CD-rom speler, 2x2x24 cd brander, 4.3 gb hdd... En dat was toen hagelnieuw spul.

Wees blij dat een nieuwe DVD-brander bij de gemiddelde shop tussen de 25 en 30 euro is.

1 hour ago, sniper1k5 said:

i dont know what i did wrong.

48 minutes ago, sniper1k5 said:

i accidently connected up the drive while the pc was still on and it gave a spark. but that was 2 weeks ago and after that it still worked fine but now it got fried

Seems it was already failing at that point, and that reconnecting was just the last drop... And SATA drives are "plug and play". They are made so you can connect/disconnect them, while the computer is on.

In the past, I could also connect/disconnect the MOLEX power supply to an HDD/FDD/DVD drive, as long as I didn't plug in the IDE. So connecting the SATA power cable to the drive, SHOULD not have been the problem here.

2 hours ago, Dutch-stoner said:

Seems it was already failing at that point, and that reconnecting was just the last drop... And SATA drives are "plug and play". They are made so you can connect/disconnect them, while the computer is on.

In the past, I could also connect/disconnect the MOLEX power supply to an HDD/FDD/DVD drive, as long as I didn't plug in the IDE. So connecting the SATA power cable to the drive, SHOULD not have been the problem here.

ok bedankt voor de info. ik denk dat de drive gewoon kut was. ik heb hem namelijk opengemaakt net 10 seconden nadat het gebeurde om te zien wat er aan de hand was. ik kon niet echt iets zien dus heb ik hem maar helemaal opegetrokken want hij was toch al stuk en kon niks vinden/ :/ er viel wel 2 veertjes uit xD maarjaa.

Ik heb voor de gein in het verleden ook wel het blik om een cd-rom/DVD speler vandaan gehaald. Als je het met belijd doet, springen de veren je normaal gesproken niet om de oren... Wel geinig om zo'n ding dan echt te zien werken, maarrr... Stof, de grootste vijand van een cd-rom/dvd speler. Dat hamster je dan wel in grote hoeveelheden.

2 hours ago, Dutch-stoner said:

Welkom welkom dan! :P En ach, ik heb vroeger, toen ik zelf extra molex kabels er bij knutselde, veel meer kwijt geraakt... CD-rom speler, 2x2x24 cd brander, 4.3 gb hdd... En dat was toen hagelnieuw spul.

Wees blij dat een nieuwe DVD-brander bij de gemiddelde shop tussen de 25 en 30 euro is.

ja ik vind het ook heel leuk om aan computers te knutselen heb zelf ook mijn game pc gemaakt. ik heb nu 2 computers om aan te knutselen en 1tje had dus die dvd drive en de ander leit hem ontploffen of de dvd writer deed het zelf xD.

het gebeurde voor mij ook de eerste keer en toen het gebeurde zij ik fking hard OH MY GOD!~er kwam rook uit en stonk echt naar pure strond.

GELUKKIG heeft mn vader iemand op het werk die een ouwe gamin pc heeft staan met 2 videokaarten :P die mag ik gratis hebben en er zit een dvd writer in.

die is nu niet meer nodig want ik heb DBAN via een site genaamd iets van linuxpendrive ofzoiets en daar hebben ze me uitgelegd hoe ik dban op een stick kan doen want de iso erin doen werkte niet. maar nu duurt de DBAN 48 uur :/ heeft net in 2 uur 5% gedaan dus ik hoop dat het sneller gaat. ik hou hem overnacht aan.

(hopelijk gaat mn hardeschijf er niet aan if you know what i mean) xD.

Ik heb voor de gein in het verleden ook wel het blik om een cd-rom/DVD speler vandaan gehaald. Als je het met belijd doet, springen de veren je normaal gesproken niet om de oren... Wel geinig om zo'n ding dan echt te zien werken, maarrr... Stof, de grootste vijand van een cd-rom/dvd speler. Dat hamster je dan wel in grote hoeveelheden.

Hahahha jazeker xD ik zag ook een lasertje dat ik op en neer kon bewegen. het enigste stukke van die dvd speler was de printplaat waar de sata connecties op zat. de capacitors zagen er nog goed uit maar het stonk echt naar precies hoe hij rook toen hij toasted werd dus idk xD

Mijn pc staat 24/7 aan... 1x per half jaar doe ik een reboot, en dat is dan alleen omdat het moet, of omdat ik mijn pc van A tot Z schoon maak. Ik gebruik mijn pc ook toch wel 17 uur per dag, dus sja... En tot slot, mijn mobo+CPU+PSU+CPU cooler komen uit ik meende 2007... rond de 9 jaar oud dus, deze pc. Hardeschijven gaan gemiddeld zo'n 4-5 jaar lang mee bij mij, mits het mijn C schijf is. En je hoort ze wel stuk gaan, voordat het zover is.

Ik zou me niet druk maken, dat je HDD ff een nachtje door trekt.

(heb alle energie settings uit gezet, alles blijft aan, en mijn HDD's gaan ook nooit uit...)

Mijn pc staat 24/7 aan... 1x per half jaar doe ik een reboot, en dat is dan alleen omdat het moet, of omdat ik mijn pc van A tot Z schoon maak. Ik gebruik mijn pc ook toch wel 17 uur per dag, dus sja... En tot slot, mijn mobo+CPU+PSU+CPU cooler komen uit ik meende 2007... rond de 9 jaar oud dus, deze pc. Hardeschijven gaan gemiddeld zo'n 4-5 jaar lang mee bij mij, mits het mijn C schijf is. En je hoort ze wel stuk gaan, voordat het zover is.

Ik zou me niet druk maken, dat je HDD ff een nachtje door trekt.

(heb alle energie settings uit gezet, alles blijft aan, en mijn HDD's gaan ook nooit uit...)

ja is goed bedankt ±' ik heb namelijk een ouwe dell een keer uit elkaar gehaalt en daar vond ik deze mooie WD caviar blue 250gb 7200RPM sata hdd in. 

Er is al een pc verzonden naar mij die komt binnenkort binnen het is een hp dc5800 (de dunne versie) en daar zit een core 2 duo 8400 in. ik ben er van plan mee om een soort van ps3 van te maken. ik heb nog een grafisch kaartje en als ik die erin doe heb ik een pc die games runt beter als ps3 en zelfde groote en goed om mee te nemen naar lan party's :).

You've got PM...

You've got PM...

welke pm wil je?

I've send you just a single PM. :P Because I think it's against the rules to talk dutch in a random topic.

Just now, Dutch-stoner said:

I've send you just a single PM. :P Because I think it's against the rules to talk dutch in a random topic.

okay fine xD

i did not receive a pm :(:P