New headset need help

ChipotleBurger

Looking for a great headset for around 120 dollars

things i'm looking for are:

- good sound 

- really good comfort (comfortable enough to wear for hours on hours on hours)

- wired (not with usb preferrably)

- not logitech

- will last for years

some headsets i looked at were

- cloud revolver (which had some problems with the metal thing on top)

- siberia 350s (which had white noise from some reviews)

lookin for a headset for csgo

1 minute ago, Slottr said:

Anything from the Hyper X Cloud series

i read some reviews about the metal on top causing ringing noises so im kinda hesitant

3 minutes ago, ChipotleBurger said:

Looking for a great headset for around 120 dollars

things i'm looking for are:

- good sound 

- really good comfort (comfortable enough to wear for hours on hours on hours)

- wired (not with usb preferrably)

- not logitech

- will last for years

some headsets i looked at were

- cloud revolver (which had some problems with the metal thing on top)

- siberia 350s (which had white noise from some reviews)

lookin for a headset for csgo

I would reccomend HyperX cloud 2s, but mine have had a LOT of issues. My recomendation is Audio-Technica ATH-M40x. My friend bought these for 85$, and they are excellent. You can use the extra 40$ in your budget to buy a desktop mic.

******If you paste in text into your post, please click the "remove formatting" button for night theme users.******

CPU- Intel 6700k OC to 4.69 Ghz GPU- NVidia Geforce GTX 970 (MSI) RAM- 16gb DDR4 2400 SSD-2x500gb samsung 850 EVO(SATA) Raid 0 HDD- 2tb Seagate Case- H440 Red w/ custom lighting Motherboard - MSI Z170 Gaming A OS- Windows 10 Mouse- Razer Naga Epic Chroma, Final Mouse 2016 turney proKeyboard- Corsair k70 Cherry MX brown

Just now, ChipotleBurger said:

i read some reviews about the metal on top causing ringing noises so im kinda hesitant

lol wot

I've had my pair of cloud 2's for around a year now and havent had a single problem

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

Just now, bgibbz said:

I would reccomend HyperX cloud 2s, but mine have had a LOT of issues. My recomendation is Audio-Technica ATH-M40x. My friend bought these for 85$, and they are excellent. You can use the extra 40$ in your budget to buy a desktop mic.

do you know any low profile desktop mics i could get?

1 minute ago, Slottr said:

lol wot

I've had my pair of cloud 2's for around a year now and havent had a single problem

oh sorry meant cloud revolvers

you can get significantly better qualiy with headphones and an external mic.

you have a few options: hd 558 + cheap clipon

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/751985-REG/Sennheiser_HD558_HD_558_Open_Back_Around_Ear.html

ad 700x + cheap mic

or if you want better mic quality, sph9500 + modmic

Altair - Firestrike: http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/13945459

CPU:  i7-4790 @ 3.6 GHz Motherboard: Gigabyte B85M-DS3H-A RAM: 16GB @ 1600MHz CL11 GPU: XFX RX 470 RS Storage: ADATA SP550 240GB | WD Blue 1TB | Toshiba 2TB PSU: EVGA B2 750W Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro Fans: Phanteks PH-F200SP (Front) | Phanteks PH-F140SP (Rear) | Noctua NF-A15 (Top)

Mouse: Logitech G502 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 MX Brown | Audio: Sennheiser HD 558

2 minutes ago, ChipotleBurger said:

do you know any low profile desktop mics i could get?

I dont know much about mics unfortunately. 

******If you paste in text into your post, please click the "remove formatting" button for night theme users.******

CPU- Intel 6700k OC to 4.69 Ghz GPU- NVidia Geforce GTX 970 (MSI) RAM- 16gb DDR4 2400 SSD-2x500gb samsung 850 EVO(SATA) Raid 0 HDD- 2tb Seagate Case- H440 Red w/ custom lighting Motherboard - MSI Z170 Gaming A OS- Windows 10 Mouse- Razer Naga Epic Chroma, Final Mouse 2016 turney proKeyboard- Corsair k70 Cherry MX brown

4 minutes ago, Slottr said:

lol wot

Lucky you, my cloud 2s have been plagued with ever worsening issues :(

2 minutes ago, DrM said:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/751985-REG/Sennheiser_HD558_HD_558_Open_Back_Around_Ear.html

ad 700x + cheap mic

what do you think about this

https://www.amazon.com/Sony-ECMCS3-Omnidirectional-Stereo-Microphone/dp/B0058MJX4O/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1476762628&sr=1-4&keywords=clip%2Bon%2Bmic&th=1

1 minute ago, bgibbz said:

Lucky you, my cloud 2s have been plagued with ever worsening issues :(

What kinda issues? If its to do with the mic I probably wouldn't have ever experienced that cause I don't use it too often 

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

I recommend the cloud 2's my only problems started when i threw it at a wall because of a loss on a promo game against an esl monthly elite. i was so close to beating him. But for the most part they work fine lol

7 minutes ago, bgibbz said:

My recomendation is Audio-Technica ATH-M40x. My friend bought these for 85$, and they are excellent.

those arent great for the price, especially for gaming. the mx0x series in general has poor soundstage, even for closed headphones, and arent the most comfortable. i would recommend the shp9500 over that given its open drivers, overall clearer sound, and lower price

CPU:  i7-4790 @ 3.6 GHz Motherboard: Gigabyte B85M-DS3H-A RAM: 16GB @ 1600MHz CL11 GPU: XFX RX 470 RS Storage: ADATA SP550 240GB | WD Blue 1TB | Toshiba 2TB PSU: EVGA B2 750W Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro Fans: Phanteks PH-F200SP (Front) | Phanteks PH-F140SP (Rear) | Noctua NF-A15 (Top)

Mouse: Logitech G502 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 MX Brown | Audio: Sennheiser HD 558

Just now, Slottr said:

What kinda issues? If its to do with the mic I probably wouldn't have ever experienced that cause I don't use it too often 

It started with the mic. None of my friends could here me, and they all said i sounded very quite. it seemed like that was a mixture of the mic being unidirectional (despite appearing to be omni-directional) and the sound card lowering the volume on its own. Kingston support said to fix it with a updated firmware which i installed, all it appeared to do was eliminate the mic control on the sound card. about a month of after getting the headset, a loud crackling and popping noise started to happen when using with my iphone, nothing else. After about 3 months, this issue spread to my laptop and eventually my Desktop as well. Just today, sound comes out deeply distorted. It seems like all voice is removed from the sound, and any music or non vocal sounds are jumbled together. I literally just emailed kingston support like 20 minutes ago, so im interested to see how well there customer support is. I may have just gotten a defective product, but i have seen many complain about the crackling and popping issue. Other than those issues, the headset is fantastic. Hopefully i can get mine easily replaced with a working unit.

16 minutes ago, DrM said:

ad 700x + cheap mic

alright well these are the two im getting and do you think the ad700x would be loud enough to get picked up by the mic

https://www.amazon.com/Sony-ECMCS3-Omnidirectional-Stereo-Microphone/dp/B0058MJX4O/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1476762628&sr=1-4&keywords=clip%2Bon%2Bmic&th=1&tag=linus21-20

https://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-AD700X-Audiophile-Headphones/dp/B009S332TQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1476763463&sr=8-1&keywords=ad700x

7 minutes ago, ChipotleBurger said:

unless you listen at max volume and have your mic at max sensitivity, then no

Just now, DrM said:

lol alright

also im looking online it says it pushes down on your ears alot

and a way to fix this is the rubber band mod

do you know about this?

Just now, ChipotleBurger said:

lol alright

also im looking online it says it pushes down on your ears alot

and a way to fix this is the rubber band mod

do you know about this?

no i dont have any personal experience with these cans, though ive heard the wings tend to work really well larger heads and less so with smaller heads

3 minutes ago, DrM said:

o wait lol its literatly just a rubber band on top lollololol

1 minute ago, DrM said:

no i dont have any personal experience with these cans, though ive heard the wings tend to work really well larger heads and less so with smaller heads

alright thanks for the help

7 minutes ago, DrM said:

O yea one more thing will i need a dac because i dont want white noise at all

1 minute ago, ChipotleBurger said:

O yea one more thing will i need a dac because i dont want white noise at all

no, ad700x are low impedance, efficient headphones. dacs dont stop white noise, they just make the audio slightly cleaner (though its not worth the cost since you could invest that into much better cans). when you say white noise, im assuming you mean the light static thats occurs on a lot of headsets, especially those with usb amps

5 minutes ago, DrM said:

no, ad700x are low impedance, efficient headphones. dacs dont stop white noise, they just make the audio slightly cleaner (though its not worth the cost since you could invest that into much better cans). when you say white noise, im assuming you mean the light static thats occurs on a lot of headsets, especially those with usb amps

I thought the static came from the motherboard though? Is there no way of fixing the low static noise?

I better clear up some things. A DAC is a digital to analog converter, meaning you send a digital signal over USB or optical to the DAC and then it will make it analog, but a DAC without a amp is just a brick, since there is no power behind the analog signal, before a amp gets it.

A DAC can remove noise from your sound, since you take the sound processing out of a very noisy area, but USB is not as clean as a signal as optical and you can get noise with some ports, depending on how good the power delivery is to the USB port and how clean the power is.

Is it stupid to get a DAC and amp here, yes, unless there is something really wrong with your onboard.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.