New Intel chipset for 7700k?

Hi all,

I was wondering if you guys thought that Intel might be making a new chipset to follow their Kaby Lake processors, I know the socket will be the same as the Sky Lake generation but don't know if the chipset will change.

Thoughts?

2 minutes ago, DaveKerk said:

Hi all,

I was wondering if you guys thought that Intel might be making a new chipset to follow their Kaby Lake processors, I know the socket will be the same as the Sky Lake generation but don't know if the chipset will change.

Thoughts?

Yes, there will be a new 200 series chipset.

You will be able to use a board with a 100 or 200 series chipset.

Yes there is a new chipset, the 200 series.  New features are pretty useless mostly. 

i7 4790k @4.7 | GTX 1070 Strix | Z97 Sabertooth | 32GB  DDR3 2400 mhz | Intel 750 SSD | Define R5 | Corsair K70 | Steel Series Rival | XB271, 1440p, IPS, 165hz | 5.1 Surround
PC Build

Desk Build

I think there will be just a bios update, no other new chip-sets in my opinion there could be one new one at most

I am planning a build with the 7700k, when the time comes do you think I should go for the new chipset or just current one? Of course I know this is all speculation as of now...

Don't think the new chipset will be hugely different, Asus has already released bios update for kaby lake use on z170 boards. /shrug

4 minutes ago, DaveKerk said:

I am planning a build with the 7700k, when the time comes do you think I should go for the new chipset or just current one? Of course I know this is all speculation as of now...

The new chipset that comes out with Kabylake.

It makes not sense to buy older boards, wenn newer chipset boards are out till the time.

H2** Something

Z2** Something

etc

"The only way to do great work, is do do what you love." -Steve Jobs

2 minutes ago, DaveKerk said:

If you need the extra PCIe 3.0 lanes (4 more with 200 series) along with the additional SATA and USB support, then yes, grab a 200 series board.  If the cost is going to be about the same, I'd go for a 200 series board regardless. 

Just now, done12many2 said:

If you need the extra PCIe 3.0 lanes (4 more with 200 series) along with the additional SATA and USB support, then yes, grab a 200 series board.  If the cost is going to be about the same, I'd go for a 200 series board regardless. 

Well, I got some time to mull it over. Wish it was getting here sooner....

1 minute ago, DaveKerk said:

Well, I got some time to mull it over. Wish it was getting here sooner....

Yeah, if your current setup is holding things down for the time being, time would be your friend in this case.

Just now, done12many2 said:

Yeah, if your current setup is holding things down for the time being, time would be your friend in this case.

Agreed, I want to escape the clutched of AMD as soon as I can though xD

Just now, DaveKerk said:

Agreed, I want to escape the clutched of AMD as soon as I can though xD

I don't blame you at all.  Good luck man.

1 minute ago, done12many2 said:

I don't blame you at all.  Good luck man.

Thanks!

And thank you everyone for the advice and opinions.

Like i said as soon as kabylake will be released there also will be new 200 series motherboards out.

It makes no sense to buy a 100 series boards then if you build a totaly new system.

Mobo manufacturers only bring out bios updates to make the new Kabylake chips backwards compatible with most likely only Z170 and eventualy H170 mobo´s.

This is just for the people who are currently rocking a Skylake i5 to give them an upgrade option to a Kabylake i7 for example.

But for the people who gonne build a totaly new system with kabylake anyway.

It makes no sense to buy a 100 series board then.

Welll it does if the board features you need you can also get on a way cheaper last gen board. But as mentioned not much new, and if you never gonna use that anyway you can choose budget over newest stuff.

So it's up to OP if he can wait 3 more months or not. But if he is, he can decide then and see what suits him best. If not, see if the extra features the 200 series brings are worth the wait, and otherwise buy now.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Basic PC parts guide

PSU Tier list