Linux ubuntu 16.04

Hello, I really need someone's help. My sister bought a laptop (dell inspirion 3552) and I don't know how to install windows onto it. Someone suggests unmounting the disk but the disk is "busy" when I try to do that. I managed to install it onto a virtual machine but don't know how to make windows the only OS.

3 minutes ago, dome3731 said:

Hello, I really need someone's help. My sister bought a laptop (dell inspirion 3552) and I don't know how to install windows onto it. Someone suggests unmounting the disk but the disk is "busy" when I try to do that. I managed to install it onto a virtual machine but don't know how to make windows the only OS.

So you're trying to install windows from linux? You need to make a bootable USB drive or CD with the windows ISO for that.

Main Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

Core i7-4770, Cryorig M9i Cooler, ASUS B85M GAMER, 8GB HyperX Fury Red 2x4GB 1866MHz, KFA2 GTX 970 Infin8 Black Edition "4GB", 1TB Seagate SSHD, 256GB Crucial m4 SSD, 60GB Corsair SSD for Kerbal and game servers, Thermaltake Core V21 Case, EVGA SuperNOVA 650W G2.

Secondary PC:

Spoiler

i5-2500k OCed, Raijintek Themis, Intel Z77GA-70K, 8GB HyperX Genesis in grey, GTX 750 Ti, Gamemax Falcon case.

1 minute ago, NinjaJc01 said:

So you're trying to install windows from linux? You need to make a bootable USB drive or CD with the windows ISO for that.

I have a windows.iso on a usb disk but how do I boot from that?

2 minutes ago, dome3731 said:

You can't. You need to write the ISO properly to the USB drive, not just put it on there. Give me a minute and I will look up what the best utility for this on Ubuntu is.

Main Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

Core i7-4770, Cryorig M9i Cooler, ASUS B85M GAMER, 8GB HyperX Fury Red 2x4GB 1866MHz, KFA2 GTX 970 Infin8 Black Edition "4GB", 1TB Seagate SSHD, 256GB Crucial m4 SSD, 60GB Corsair SSD for Kerbal and game servers, Thermaltake Core V21 Case, EVGA SuperNOVA 650W G2.

Secondary PC:

Spoiler

i5-2500k OCed, Raijintek Themis, Intel Z77GA-70K, 8GB HyperX Genesis in grey, GTX 750 Ti, Gamemax Falcon case.

You can't just copy an .iso onto a flash drive you have to write it to the drive as an image and make the partition bootable.

Ubuntu should have an USB image writer utility that does that  ( search for it in the menu).

O

1 minute ago, NinjaJc01 said:

You can't. You need to write the ISO properly to the USB drive, not just put it on there. Give me a minute and I will look up what the best utility for this on Ubuntu is.

1 minute ago, Ronda said:

You can't just copy an .iso onto a flash drive you have to write it to the drive as an image and make the partition bootable.

Ubuntu should have an USB image writer utility that does that  ( search for it in the menu).

OOOH, so that's what I messed up.

4 minutes ago, dome3731 said:

http://en.congelli.eu/prog_info_winusb.html

Main Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

Secondary PC:

Spoiler

39 minutes ago, NinjaJc01 said:

40 minutes ago, Ronda said:

Thank you so much I finally managed to do it with microsoft's program for installing a usb boot drive.