Best AM3+ CPU heatsink for less than $40

mkylem

Alright, so my computer is REALLY loud, and I know it's the stock heatsink that came with my CPU. I'm planning on upgrading the heatsink, but I need to know which one will be best for the size, quietness, and price. I've been really thinking about the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo or the CM Hyper 212 Plus. Thank you for any and all help!

My current build:

CPU - AMD FX-8120

GPU - Sapphire Radeon HD 7770 GHz. Edition (non-stock-OC edition)

Motherboard - MSI 970A-G46

RAM - 16 GB DDR3 @ 1333 MHz.

PSU - Diablotek PSDA600 (600W)

Case - MSI Raptor (ATX mid-tower)

HDD - Two, one 500 GB and one 80 GB

Optical Drive - Sony Optiarc DVD burner

In my opinion...just get the evo. You will be happy with it.

AMD Radeon R9 290X / AMD FX-8320 / Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 / Samsung 830 128GB / Seagate 7200RPM 3TB / Corsair HX 850W / BitFenix Shinobi XL / CPU & GPU Watercooled - Thick Triple 360 Rad

I have a Phenom II X6 1100T and I'm pretty happy with the 212 plus. With stock fans, half the screws missing because I lost one and broke the other, and running a FAH client for hours on end, I get 50C max.

either of those will be good, just take the one looks good for your case

They are both good, get which ever is currently cheaper.

Thanks, everyone! I'll be going with the 212 Plus.

like comments above any hyper 212 will do. I score mine on sale all the time. XD 20 bucks

Amd fx-8320 oc 4.1ghz, 8gb ram, gtx 780ti 3gb, 240gb ssd, 1.5tb hdd,

• 1 month later...

Thanks everyone! My Hyper 212 Plus will be getting here on Monday. You're all awesome!

The Evo is an awesome budget over clocking cpu heatsink.

i bought the coolermaster hyper412 slim for my AMD FX-4170

wil be here in a couple of days

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835214023

I ordered this and it looks better than the CM coolers and in many reviews it rates better. Also ... Enermax ETS-T40 comes with a unique T.B.Silence PWM fan which automatically adjusts the speed efficiently and keep the silence. Twister bearing technology ensures long lifetime up to 100,000 hours and low noise. The detachable fan blades design makes cleaning easy and quick.

I am using this on an AMD FX-8300 btw ....

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

if you get the 212, get the evo, theres no gap between the copper pipes like on the plus, nevermind you already bought something xD

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

I have a hyper 212 plus, and I get great temps (30 degrees while doing normal stuff on my 3570K). only about 55 degrees with full load.

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

In german forums we use EKL Brocken or Thermalright HR-02 Macho Rev. A.

Temps should under 35°c

CPU: R7 1700 GPU: GTX 1070 RAM: 32GB

I have a Phenom II X6 1100T and I'm pretty happy with the 212 plus. With stock fans, half the screws missing because I lost one and broke the other, and running a FAH client for hours on end, I get 50C max.

I'm running the same chip and heat sink and get similar temps.  The Hyper 212 is great.  The included fan is a bit noisy for me.  That being said it's practically silent compared to the fan on the stock heatsink.

If you can spare an extra $10 bucks go for the 212 Evo.  I haven't had my hands on one personally but I've heard on good authority that it usually outperforms the 212 + by a couple degrees.