980 SLI or......

ToeJullar

Currently have a GTX 980 that's been serving me well for quite a while.  Saw GTX 980's on Ebay selling for ~$260 which is insane.  Wondering if it would be better to buy a second 980 (and a new PSU lol) or sell my current 980 and find a new card for ~$550

Thanks

For $550 you will at most get a 1070, which will be easily beaten by two 980s, so the second card will probably be a better deal. 

I love the look of two GPUs in one system, it just looks so much cooler than a single GPU :P

“sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic still going to require driver rollbacks when it stops working for no reason“

5 minutes ago, ToeJullar said:

Currently have a GTX 980 that's been serving me well for quite a while.  Saw GTX 980's on Ebay selling for ~$260 which is insane.  Wondering if it would be better to buy a second 980 (and a new PSU lol) or sell my current 980 and find a new card for ~$550

Thanks

i would go for a single powerful card. so... a gtx 1070/1080

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

1 minute ago, Thorimus said:

For $550 you will at most get a 1070, which will be easily beaten by two 980s, so the second card will probably be a better deal. 

I love the look of two GPUs in one system, it just looks so much cooler than a single GPU :P

You forget though that not all games support SLI or Crossfire. A 2nd card is rarely a better move then getting a single better GPU.

I would rather agree on what we share, than fight on what we don't. - Myself

FULL PC SPECS ON PROFILE https://linustechtips.com/main/profile/454099-thinkfreely/

3 minutes ago, Thinkfreely said:

You forget though that not all games support SLI or Crossfire. A 2nd card is rarely a better move then getting a single better GPU.

If he @ToeJullar can afford a 1080, that would be better. But two 980s is what I would go for if 550 is all he has to spend.

Edited by Thorimus
Clarity

“sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic still going to require driver rollbacks when it stops working for no reason“

If you live in the USA, you may be able to get a 1080 for 550 USD from jet.com, and that would easily beat 980 SLI in terms of overall usefulness (because some games don't support SLI). use the code SHOP10 for 50$ off some of the 600$ models of the 1080

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

1 hour ago, Thinkfreely said:

That was true in the past, however most games tend to have SLI support now.  There are a few AAA releases though that have issues which usually get resolved within the week either by the company or by the users.  SLI 980s will have better performance than the 1070, however if he can find a decently priced 1080 then I say go for that as the performance is roughly the same or the 1080 might be slightly better.   

Generally this is the thing. If you can, then always, ALWAYS go for the single most high end graphics card you can, since the slight bit of extra performance does not cover the extra cost, heat and power that will be created by the SLI cards, however since you already have a great graphics card and you found another one for a ridiculous price, then it is worth considering, but keep in mind that the high end PSU needed to drive two card like 980s will cost more, so if you can, get a 1070 or 1080.