Broken Ipad 2 Screen

Sheepy45

I am trying to diagnose whats wrong with my friends ipad 2 but i dont know which one is broken the front panel digitiser or the back LCD panel.

When i hit the power or home button i see the back light come on but thats it.

Help me please so i know which one to buy.

Its an ipad 2

The front panel has not been cracked or anything, nothing at all looks like its been cracked just dropped on the floor and the screen wont turn on besides the back light coming on.

5 minutes ago, Sheepy45 said:

I am trying to diagnose whats wrong with my friends ipad 2 but i dont know which one is broken the front panel digitiser or the back LCD panel.

Its an ipad 2

The front panel has not been cracked or anything, nothing at all looks like its been cracked just dropped on the floor and the screen wont turn on besides the back light coming on.

You're in a really awful position.

Apple doesn't sell any non retina iPads nor refurbish any.

The chance of finding an iPad 2 screen is very low and at this point, I think buying an iPad 4 or  iPad Air would be cheaper than buying a replacement display.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

51 minutes ago, Sheepy45 said:

Its an ipad 2

Generally speaking:

The digitizer is the glass surface and the array that responds to touch. If you have image but it won't accept touch, your digitizer is busted. The digitizer doesn't produce image.

The LCD panel is below the digitizer and the backlight is built into it. If you have no image or crappy image or no backlight or crappy backlight, it's the panel that's bad and there's no reason to assume there's anything off with the digitizer unless you can tell that it's not accepting touch.

A situation where there's no image and hence no way to tell if touch works can also be caused by a host of things unrelated to the LCD or the digitizer. For instance a bad CPU or bad RAM can easily cause it.

I'd guess your digitizer is fine but you don't have enough info to tell if your LCD is good or bad. I'd most definitely not pay a full price for a replacement just to find out it fixes nothing.