Newbie when it comes to media server. HELP

kiicki

I want to be able to use my laptop as a media server where I can watch the movies on my TV and on Android device using DLNA.
I used to connect my external HDD to my router, mapped the external HDD in windows and used Plex to share my local library and the mapped folder which is the external HDD that is connected to my router.

Plex is kinda expensive since I don't use it that often and the free one does not support Android. I also ran into some issues with Plex which was weird. Audio problems.
Since I only want to access my files when I'm connected to my own internet, I find the price for Plex a bit high.

Is there a free way to make my laptop a media server where I can share my content to my TV/Android device?
I have local files on my laptop that I want to share but since this is only a laptop, I have limited space. That is why I also use and external HDD that I connect to my router for extra storage. I prefer to connect it to my router since I really don't prefer connecting it to my laptop. 

What would be the best choice for me? It's only tv-shows and movies. Windows and Android

The android app for plex is $5, you don't need the subscription. Unless you want bleeding edge updates and a handful of special features then you don't need the subscription for just playing movies on your phone/pc/tv... So it's free and only $5 if you want the mobile app.

https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/203868088-Unlocking-or-Activating-Plex-for-Android

I can't remember the last time I used it, but you can look at XBMC (xbox media center, runs off a PC now adays). I think it's now referred to as "kodi"..

3 hours ago, Mikensan said:

The android app for plex is $5, you don't need the subscription. Unless you want bleeding edge updates and a handful of special features then you don't need the subscription for just playing movies on your phone/pc/tv... So it's free and only $5 if you want the mobile app.

https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/203868088-Unlocking-or-Activating-Plex-for-Android

I can't remember the last time I used it, but you can look at XBMC (xbox media center, runs off a PC now adays). I think it's now referred to as "kodi"..

Thanks, I will try the Plex app. thought you had to pay for subscription and the $5 for the app. I have tried Kodi and even though Kodi has a lot of features, I just don't find it performing that well. The audio is good but the picture is stuttering. Not buffering but just stuttering. Never had this issue using Plex or serviio from my PC to my TV which is what I also did with Kodi.

Same when I installed an addon for Kodi so I could run Acestream but it was just not performing that well. I don't know, but I don't get that "smooth" performance when using Kodi like I would get with Serviio or Plex.

I would have to second what  @kiicki said I have actually set up a plex server for the first time today due to constant issues I was having with iTunes sharing and it was really straight forward and a single app payment to get it on my iPad, iPhone and Apple TV actually kicking my self for not doing this earlier as it is a very straight forward implementation and it just works.

29 minutes ago, Adyn said:

I would have to second what  @kiicki said I have actually set up a plex server for the first time today due to constant issues I was having with iTunes sharing and it was really straight forward and a single app payment to get it on my iPad, iPhone and Apple TV actually kicking my self for not doing this earlier as it is a very straight forward implementation and it just works.

I just tested out Serviio, Plex and Kodi streaming from my laptop to my TV. I had no issues with Plex or Serviio. Smooth streaming and video and audio works well. No stuttering, no nothing.
I still have the same problem with Kodi. Picture is freezing up but the file is playing. I don't know what that is about. I think I will just pay for Plex. It just works.
I ran into Plex problems 2 months ago or so and haven't really tried it after that. I just remember that it had some audio issues even though there were no problems with the file. Serviio worked pretty good, but I really like how Plex have categories for "movies" and "Tv-show" and not just a "video" category as Serviio does.

Plex just seems clean and it's working for now at least. Kodi is a nightmare for me when it comes to DLNA.