Worth getting a Z170 mobo just for upgradeability?

Go to solution Solved by CostcoSamples,
1 minute ago, slomo007 said:

May I know why?

Do you already have the B150 motherboard?  If this is pre-planning then actually it might be worth it.  That way you can start with a cheap i3, and upgrade to a Kaby Lake i7 down the road and extend the life of the system by quite a bit.

I was wondering if getting a Z170 mobo would be worth it since it can overclock and it's more "future proof" than a B150 mobo.

I'm getting a core i3-6100 (I know the overclocking features are useless for this CPU) but I want to have the same PC for multiple years.

if you can then go for it

No it's not worth it.  

i7 4790k @4.7 | GTX 1070 Strix | Z97 Sabertooth | 32GB  DDR3 2400 mhz | Intel 750 SSD | Define R5 | Corsair K70 | Steel Series Rival | XB271, 1440p, IPS, 165hz | 5.1 Surround
PC Build

Desk Build

Just now, CostcoSamples said:

No it's not worth it.  

May I know why?

May I know why?

Do you already have the B150 motherboard?  If this is pre-planning then actually it might be worth it.  That way you can start with a cheap i3, and upgrade to a Kaby Lake i7 down the road and extend the life of the system by quite a bit.

i7 4790k @4.7 | GTX 1070 Strix | Z97 Sabertooth | 32GB  DDR3 2400 mhz | Intel 750 SSD | Define R5 | Corsair K70 | Steel Series Rival | XB271, 1440p, IPS, 165hz | 5.1 Surround
PC Build

Desk Build

Just now, CostcoSamples said:

Sorry, forgot to say that it will be my first PC build.  Thanks!

3 minutes ago, slomo007 said:

May I know why?

You can use a 6700/6700k on a b150 board, or even the kabylake ones if the board has a bios update for them.

Really the "z" boards are only worth buying for either overclocking or SLI support.

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

Just now, SLAYR said:

You can use a 6700/6700k on a b150 board, or even the kabylake ones if the board has a bios update for them.

Really the "z" boards are only worth buying for either overclocking or SLI support.

Ill be upgrading to a better CPU when a core i3 bottlenecks GPUs. It's just nice knowing I can get a K cpu and overclock it and possibly get SLI in the future.

Ill be upgrading to a better CPU when a core i3 bottlenecks GPUs. It's just nice knowing I can get a K cpu and overclock it and possibly get SLI in the future.

An i3 will already hold back gpus like the gtx 1070/1080, and SLI isn't even supported on cards like the 1060, so overclocking really would be the only benefit.

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

Just now, SLAYR said:

An i3 will already hold back gpus like the gtx 1070/1080, and SLI isn't even supported on cards like the 1060, so overclocking really would be the only benefit.

Thats why there's no reason for me to get a high end GPU. Also, It's just nice to know I will be able to SLI in the future once it gets cheaper.

Yes but as long as you plan on getting an overclockable cpu in the future. Though you can downgrade the bios so you can overclock it.

AMD FX 6300 @ 4.6 Ghz CRYORIG H7 Asus M5A97 PLUS | HyperX Fury 8 GB DDR3 | PNY CS1311 120gb SSD WD Blue 1TB 7200 RPM EVGA GeForce GTX 950 Superclocked NZXT Source 210 Black EVGA 500B Logitech G Pro HP K3500 Wireless Keyboard |

11 hours ago, CostcoSamples said:

Isn't KabyLake-X going to use the Z270 chipset though? I'm almost positive that won't be compatible with Z170 unless you're talking about the one "KabyLake" desktop CPU that's coming soon that's basically just a more power efficient 6700K, but that's about the only advantage it gets.

44 minutes ago, Awakening said:

Isn't KabyLake-X going to use the Z270 chipset though? I'm almost positive that won't be compatible with Z170 unless you're talking about the one "KabyLake" desktop CPU that's coming soon that's basically just a more power efficient 6700K, but that's about the only advantage it gets.

z170 boards are now compatible with kaby lake

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/asus-issues-bios-updates-for-kaby-lake-lga1151-processors.html

z270 boards add more usb ports and native usb 3.1 gen 2, thats all

Core i7 7700k Kabylake stock + Kraken x52 | ASUS Z170-A | 8GB DDR4 2133MHz HyperX | ASUS GeForce GTX 1060 STRIX 6GB | 250GB SSD Samsung 850 EVO + 2TB HDD WD RE4 | Seasonic X-Series 650w | Corsair 460x RGB  | Win 10 Pro 64 bit | Corsair M65 PRO RGB Mouse | Corsair K70 RGB RapidFire

4 minutes ago, xGGAx said:

z170 boards are now compatible with kaby lake

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/asus-issues-bios-updates-for-kaby-lake-lga1151-processors.html

z270 boards add more usb ports and native usb 3.1 gen 2, thats all

Not sure about that source. From what I've seen, the new Skylake refresh coming in 2017 is called KabyLake-X instead of KabyLake. Like I said above, as far as I know, there's only going to be one desktop KabyLake processor that doesn't really add much at all.

5 minutes ago, Awakening said:

Not sure about that source. From what I've seen, the new Skylake refresh coming in 2017 is called KabyLake-X instead of KabyLake. Like I said above, as far as I know, there's only going to be one desktop KabyLake processor that doesn't really add much at all.

lol what? it's on asus website as well
http://edgeup.asus.com/2016/10/05/asus-announces-support-next-generation-lga-1151-socket-processors/

Core i7 7700k Kabylake stock + Kraken x52 | ASUS Z170-A | 8GB DDR4 2133MHz HyperX | ASUS GeForce GTX 1060 STRIX 6GB | 250GB SSD Samsung 850 EVO + 2TB HDD WD RE4 | Seasonic X-Series 650w | Corsair 460x RGB  | Win 10 Pro 64 bit | Corsair M65 PRO RGB Mouse | Corsair K70 RGB RapidFire