Upgrading from a GTX 970

GM Rod

Ok here's the deal.

I have a GTX 970 right now.

Being in brazil seriously limits my upgrade options.

But now I'm scheduled to go to NYC on November 28th.

I'm thinking this is the opportunity to upgrade my card, but...

Right now I'm looking até the ZOTAC 1080 AMP! EXTREME, but I don't wanna regret getting that when the 1080 TI comes out in January.

Or maybe I should go over to the red team?

The second thing is, right now I game on an old 32" Samsung TV so I was thinking maybe I should get a monitor this trip, then wait until next year to upgrade my card. But this is also a toss up because I'd need to know which card I'll be getting because of G-Sync or Freesync support.

I definitely want an Ultra wide monitor and the top two are the Asus and the Acer ones... and neither supports both technologies (Freesync and G-Sync respectively)

So one thing I was thinking is getting two 1080s to try and keep it level with the 1080TI at least in games that support SLI, this way maybe I don't regret getting something now, when the 1080TI launches.

The last thing I thought about was, maybe I get a Titan XP now, or two? This way I definitely stay ahead of the 1080TI, right?

Thoughts?

I am one with the Force, and the Force is with me.

Just now, IskanderEXC said:

Get a 1070 and just OC it. That has about the same preformance as a 1080

But what about a 1080 overclocked? And a 1080 has more cuda cores. An overclocked 1070 is not a 1080. 

OP, if you want to buy a 1080, it's far from a bad choice. Team red has no high end cards right now, so that's not much of an option. The 1080 ti may not be released for a while. 

******If you paste in text into your post, please click the "remove formatting" button for night theme users.******

CPU- Intel 6700k OC to 4.69 Ghz GPU- NVidia Geforce GTX 970 (MSI) RAM- 16gb DDR4 2400 SSD-2x500gb samsung 850 EVO(SATA) Raid 0 HDD- 2tb Seagate Case- H440 Red w/ custom lighting Motherboard - MSI Z170 Gaming A OS- Windows 10 Mouse- Razer Naga Epic Chroma, Final Mouse 2016 turney proKeyboard- Corsair k70 Cherry MX brown

3 minutes ago, IskanderEXC said:

There is a difference between the cards you know...

Red team... heh. RX 480 for a performance of a 1060. Which is a bit faster than 970.

1 minute ago, SCGazelle said:

How about an overclocked 1080?

If he is using that Samsung panel then a 1080 will be a bit overkill overclocked

Just now, IskanderEXC said:

If he is using that Samsung panel then a 1080 will be a bit overkill overclocked

Maybe not. He said getting a gpu isn't easy due I shipping, a 1080 would last longer in terms of relevance then the 1070. Also, you can do 4K supersampling in most games. 

******If you paste in text into your post, please click the "remove formatting" button for night theme users.******

CPU- Intel 6700k OC to 4.69 Ghz GPU- NVidia Geforce GTX 970 (MSI) RAM- 16gb DDR4 2400 SSD-2x500gb samsung 850 EVO(SATA) Raid 0 HDD- 2tb Seagate Case- H440 Red w/ custom lighting Motherboard - MSI Z170 Gaming A OS- Windows 10 Mouse- Razer Naga Epic Chroma, Final Mouse 2016 turney proKeyboard- Corsair k70 Cherry MX brown

When I say red team I mean the new vegas stuff. But it won't be out in time for my trip, will it?

And I'm thinking the leap in performance from the 1080 to the TI will make it last longer...

But there will be no TI released in time for my trip, so... Titan? This way I have a Pascal card? But like will the 1080ti destroy it?

Or should I upgrade the monitor now and wait to upgrade the card later?

10 minutes ago, IskanderEXC said:

and then you OC a 1080 and it wins again ;)

on topic: i wouldnt be too worried in terms of the "1080ti" problem, mostly because a 1080 by itself is already pretty insane, as are the prices, and will be the prices for a 1080ti :D

19 minutes ago, EnemySp0tt3d said:

There is a difference between the cards you know...

It's a 30% difference in most cases. The 1080 isn't suuuuuper amazing compared to the 1070. :P 

S.K.Y.N.E.T. v4.3

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3200 | 12GB RX 6700XT |   Twin 24" Pixio PX248 Prime 1080p 144Hz Displays | 256GB Sabrent NVMe (OS) | 500GB Samsung 840 Pro #1 | 500GB Samsung 840 Pro #2 | 2TB Samsung 860 Evo1TB Western Digital NVMe | 2TB Sabrent NVMe | Intel Wireless-AC 9260

1070 offer 80% of a 1080 performance in FPS , for 50% of the price.

That said, 1070 is more value, 1080 still is top card if u dont care about $$$

25 minutes ago, GM Rod said:

Ok here's the deal.

I have a GTX 970 right now.

Being in brazil seriously limits my upgrade options.

But now I'm scheduled to go to NYC on November 28th.

I'm thinking this is the opportunity to upgrade my card, but...

Right now I'm looking até the ZOTAC 1080 AMP! EXTREME, but I don't wanna regret getting that when the 1080 TI comes out in January.

Or maybe I should go over to the red team?

The second thing is, right now I game on an old 32" Samsung TV so I was thinking maybe I should get a monitor this trip, then wait until next year to upgrade my card. But this is also a toss up because I'd need to know which card I'll be getting because of G-Sync or Freesync support.

I definitely want an Ultra wide monitor and the top two are the Asus and the Acer ones... and neither supports both technologies (Freesync and G-Sync respectively)

So one thing I was thinking is getting two 1080s to try and keep it level with the 1080TI at least in games that support SLI, this way maybe I don't regret getting something now, when the 1080TI launches.

The last thing I thought about was, maybe I get a Titan XP now, or two? This way I definitely stay ahead of the 1080TI, right?

Thoughts?

Take it from me: while a monitor is bigger to travel with, it's MUCH easier to get a good GPU in huehue than a good monitor.

My recommendation is to just get yourself a G-sync Ultrawide... hell, even just a humble Ultrawide with no sync tech and let your GPU purchase for later.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

I've updated my signature to include my current PC build, if it helps.

what about the titan option? Any thoughts on that?

GM ROD , 

You seem to have infinit $$$ budget,

Just get what you want !! On a budget : 1070 ,  on no budget : 1080 ,

Want the best ? Titan XP

Want tthe best in 6 month, wait for 1080 ti 

All about money and wait time ;)

So, the ZOTACs.

1080 is $721.

1070 is $449.

which makes me think 30% more performance is not worth that much.

Then, I see one EVGA Titan X superclocked is $2.000...

hmm.

1080ti will be what, $1000?

Considering your trip to NY ,  I would pick the 1080 as they are available. You dont know how long you will wait if you wait for 1080 TI

And pascal XP is... for people who rreally have no $$$ limit

I expect the 1080 TI to be  @ 1250$ approx. As there are some 1080 close to 1000$ already

46 minutes ago, IskanderEXC said:

No, just no.

58 minutes ago, smokefest said:

Considering your trip to NY ,  I would pick the 1080 as they are available. You dont know how long you will wait if you wait for 1080 TI

And pascal XP is... for people who rreally have no $$$ limit

What about waiting for a red team offer? Or, will getting a Titan XP now mean it will still be above the 1080ti when it hits?

Or do I go 1070 SLI?

59 minutes ago, smokefest said:

GM ROD , 

You seem to have infinit $$$ budget,

Just get what you want !! On a budget : 1070 ,  on no budget : 1080 ,

Want the best ? Titan XP

Want tthe best in 6 month, wait for 1080 ti 

All about money and wait time ;)

Not that simple. I'd be really pissed if I got a Titan XP now, and in a couple months the 1080ti comes out and it performs better, for less money...

1 hour ago, GM Rod said:

When I say red team I mean the new vegas stuff. But it won't be out in time for my trip, will it?

And I'm thinking the leap in performance from the 1080 to the TI will make it last longer...

But there will be no TI released in time for my trip, so... Titan? This way I have a Pascal card? But like will the 1080ti destroy it?

Or should I upgrade the monitor now and wait to upgrade the card later?

The 1080 Ti will likely be a slightly cut down Titan X Pascal for $400 less. 

37 minutes ago, GM Rod said:

Not that simple. I'd be really pissed if I got a Titan XP now, and in a couple months the 1080ti comes out and it performs better, for less money...

Meh it's not like you're not getting raped on the price with the 1080 Ti either considering Nvidia launched the 1080 at $700. So there is no way the 1080 Ti is coming out at less than $800.

I should get a Titan then? Hmmm

If you're rich, get titan XP

Then sell em if you need to upgrde to 1080 TI's and afford the $$$ lost

LOL :)

16 minutes ago, smokefest said:

If you're rich, get titan XP

Then sell em if you need to upgrde to 1080 TI's and afford the $$$ lost

LOL :)

That's the real question, isn't it.

will the 1080ti be an upgrade to a Titan?

Someone else here said the 1080ti Will be a watered down Titan... but I expect it will have a faster clock.

Well...

You could think of the Titan X and 980 Ti ...

But its not sure they will follow that path....