University laptop

Hey peoples,

My friend needs a laptop not too expensive for uni. Gonna be used in lesson for note taking etc, any hints or tips. I myelf am eyeing up a new VR ready laptop so my knowledge of one that might last on battery more than an hour is somewhat limited lol 

cheers and thanks,

Lewis

Just got that text message back, its stupid low, the lower the better. I'm in the UK so wondering if refurb and second hand might be the way to go. Would still be nice to know what sort of models to keep an eye out for

22 minutes ago, LewisBloom said:

Just got that text message back, its stupid low, the lower the better. I'm in the UK so wondering if refurb and second hand might be the way to go. Would still be nice to know what sort of models to keep an eye out for

If you're after a cheap laptop to take notes on etc etc. I've got a HP stream to do it with, pretty good for the price imo

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/search-keywords/xx_xx_xx_xx_xx/hp+stream/xx-criteria.html

Thanks George for the quick suggestion. How is the battery life and can it be used for anything outside note taking. Is browsing web, multiple tabs etc all ok or does it easily bog down. The Streams come up super cheap so I'm cautious lol 

2 minutes ago, LewisBloom said:

Thanks George for the quick suggestion. How is the battery life and can it be used for anything outside note taking. Is browsing web, multiple tabs etc all ok or does it easily bog down. The Streams come up super cheap so I'm cautious lol 

I can get a full day out of it (When I use it that is) It can do around 6-8 hours. 

@LewisBloom

This is from a reviewer 

HP STREAM 11: BATTERY LIFE

HP claims that the three-cell Lithium-ion battery inside the Stream 11 will deliver up to eight hours and 15 minutes of life before it requires charging again. It just about delivered, too, as it managed just over eight hours of web browsing and YouTube viewing.

However, we were particularly impressed with its endurance under heavy strain. It lasted six hours of playing iPlayer and YouTube videos with the screen at maximum brightness and the volume at 80%.

It’s also a fast charger, going from flat to 24% in just 30 minutes. That would theoretically give you just under two hours of mixed use, or almost 90 minutes of heavy use.

Read more at http://www.trustedreviews.com/hp-stream-11-review#irLWPVYd8ZHyFBM3.99

Awesome, looking now and seems i can get a brand new but opened for £170, sounds like a good option

Just now, LewisBloom said:

Awesome, looking now and seems i can get a brand new but opened for £170, sounds like a good option

Hey its got 32gb or storage and 2gb of ram, the cpu isn't the best but for a basic web browsing, email 720p/1080p video playback and word processing, it does the job for me on the go  

Hey George one more question if I may. Is the OS you are using 8.1 or 10?

cheers,

Lewis

6 minutes ago, LewisBloom said:

Hey George one more question if I may. Is the OS you are using 8.1 or 10?

cheers,

Lewis

I run windows 10, its might lighter than 8.1 I believe