Any DIY Desk builds out there?

Necromonger

Yes I am aware that Linus is currently doing (has finished and hasn't uploaded rest of series) on his DIY PC case-desk thing. That is not what I am interested in, but rather IKEA hacks.

Am about to move out later this month to a new apartment and wanted to build some proper gaming desk for both me and my girlfriend to game and possibly stream from. I am cooking something up on CAD, but don't know how exactly to go about it given: Don't have exact dimensions of room yet, don't know how to hack IKEA furniture.

I want the wall where the desk will be on to have this design

gtx1080-amp_02-970x647-c.png

Or maybe just the desk to have this design... LOL

EDIT: If you know how to hack IKEA or furniture in general let me know!

Check Out My 2 PC Builds! - Fall 2015

Check Out My Twin PC Builds! - Fall 2016 (Revival)

17 hours ago, wrathoftheturkey said:

He actually did another build where he built a PC into the bottom of a table, you could do that, then drill a baseplate into the bottom so the parts aren't exposed.

Like I said in OP, I don't want a desk PC. I want a DIY desk to put a physical PC with case and everything on top of.

Would love any advice or tips on this. I've never hacked IKEA furniture.

There's a website dedicated to this. Don't have the link available to me atm but just google "ikea desk hacks" or something similar, it should point you in the right direction.

You can always get a Jerker desk (which is what I do, usually after a move and I need a new desk) they go anywhere from $45 - $200+. They are great for DIY customizing.

On 10/2/2016 at 10:21 PM, Necromonger said:

Yes I am aware that Linus is currently doing (has finished and hasn't uploaded rest of series) on his DIY PC case-desk thing. That is not what I am interested in, but rather IKEA hacks.

Am about to move out later this month to a new apartment and wanted to build some proper gaming desk for both me and my girlfriend to game and possibly stream from. I am cooking something up on CAD, but don't know how exactly to go about it given: Don't have exact dimensions of room yet, don't know how to hack IKEA furniture.

I want the wall where the desk will be on to have this design

gtx1080-amp_02-970x647-c.png

Or maybe just the desk to have this design... LOL

EDIT: If you know how to hack IKEA or furniture in general let me know!

So your saying you want the zotac with the two stripes like inlaid into the desk or wall, or like a graphic just pasted to the desk or wall?

I would rather agree on what we share, than fight on what we don't. - Myself

FULL PC SPECS ON PROFILE https://linustechtips.com/main/profile/454099-thinkfreely/

7 hours ago, Thinkfreely said:

So your saying you want the zotac with the two stripes like inlaid into the desk or wall, or like a graphic just pasted to the desk or wall?

Well am not sure. If you look at both of my PC builds, me and my lady are rocking the Zotac GTX 1080 and 1070 Amp Edition respectively along with coordinated power extensions that match our builds and theme. So I wanted either our wall or desk to have the same color coordination. I was also thinking of doing something like an extended desk, but made to have multiple desktops along one side of the wall. I have a gaming laptop and a 3rd guest PC in the works that I'd like to add to be able to do LAN or online multiplayer games with friends and family when they are over. 

• 1 month later...

Hey there! I'm working on a DIY desk build now. About to post the first part of the process in this forum. What kind of budget are you working with? Also what size wall space are you going to have to work with as well? If you give me the details, I can help you design it in sketchup.