SSD Trimming: What is it?

BlueWiszard

As the title suggests, I don't quite know what SSD trimming is. I've looked some things up online, but they don't quite give the explanation I'd like. I know you're not supposed to defrag your SSD's, and the alternative is "trimming" it, but I don't know what it is and how to use it. If someone (or many of you) could provide some light on this, that would be great.

That's when the operating system tells the SSD controller that an area can be deleted. The SSD controller then decides when it's actually convenient to delete it.

TRIM is automatic on any modern updated OS.

not defragmenting the SSD is the biggest bullshit anyone has ever said, specifically for Windows OS - even Windows itself will defragment the SSD without user's input

as for TRIM, it's garbage collection

SSDs function differently than HDDs when data is deleted from them - a SSD's controller needs to physically erase the cell before new data can be written, whereas HDD can overwrite old data

TRIM only expedites this process - it's a performance benefit, as the SSD doesn't wait for the respective cells to be requested for new data, TRIM erases them when the SSD is IDLE

9 minutes ago, zMeul said:

TRIM only expedites this process - it's a performance benefit, as the SSD doesn't wait for the respective cells to be requested for new data, TRIM erases them when the SSD is IDLE

The Trim command can be sent out on demand by the user.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

9 minutes ago, zMeul said:

not defragmenting the SSD is the biggest bullshit anyone has ever said, specifically for Windows OS - even Windows itself will defragment the SSD without user's input

Care to expand on that? The main reason NOT to defrag is to preserve the write life of the drive. If it was unlimited life, you can defrag it as much as you like without fear. I did see a reference from MS in the past, they only defrag highly fragmented files on SSDs, but it sounded like this was more for the benefit for Windows itself, not the SSD.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

Just now, Godlygamer23 said:

doesn't matter

if the SSD doesn't issue TRIM on it's own (or assisted by the OS) when you need it, the perf benefit won't be there - so .. what's the point?!

Just now, zMeul said:

if the SSD doesn't issue TRIM on it's own (or assisted by the OS) when you need it, the perf benefit won't be there - so .. what's the point?!

Do you have evidence for this statement?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

5 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

Do you have evidence for this statement?

yes, a SSD without TRIM

1 minute ago, zMeul said:

yes, a SSD without TRIM

That's Trim support. Not Trim as a function on a Trim supported drive. A drive may not issue Trim immediately, nor the OS.

5 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

That's Trim support. Not Trim as a function on a Trim supported drive. A drive may not issue Trim immediately, nor the OS.

what are you talking about!? there used to be SSDs without HW implemented TRIM - 1st gen Kingstons, Intel's X25-M

5 minutes ago, zMeul said:

what are you talking about!? there used to be SSDs without HW implemented TRIM - 1st gen Kingstons, Intel's X25-M

And?

1 hour ago, Godlygamer23 said:

How would I manually run the Trim command? Not so much as an I NEED TO thing, but it is helpful to know in the event of finding an SSD in the wild that doesn't have it.

Just now, BlueWiszard said:

How would I manually run the Trim command? Not so much as an I NEED TO thing, but it is helpful to know in the event of finding an SSD in the wild that doesn't have it.

What SSD and operating system are you using?

Just now, Godlygamer23 said:

What SSD and operating system are you using?

SSD is an AMD R3 240GB (so an OCZ SSD) and Win 10.

Windows 10 built in "defrag and optimise drives" tool does it. Otherwise look for utility from SSD manufacturer. I know Intel and I think Sandisk do, not sure about others.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

1 minute ago, BlueWiszard said:

SSD is an AMD R3 240GB (so an OCZ SSD) and Win 10.

As mentioned above, you can use Windows 10's built in utility "Defrag and Optimize Drives," but other programs like IObit's Smart Defrag can also handle Trim, along with being able to "intelligently optimize(their words)" the drive, 

3 minutes ago, porina said:

Windows 10 built in "defrag and optimise drives" tool does it. Otherwise look for utility from SSD manufacturer. I know Intel and I think Sandisk do, not sure about others.

Oh. See, I was a tad worried with running the "defrag and optimize" functions strictly because of the "defrag" portion. I appreciate the information! :D

Oh. See, I was a tad worried with running the "defrag and optimize" functions strictly because of the "defrag" portion. I appreciate the information! :D

I've used the utility, and when using it on my SSD, it specifically mentions "so-so percentage trimmed." I can take a screenshot if you want.

1 minute ago, Godlygamer23 said:

I've used the utility, and when using it on my SSD, it specifically mentions "so-so percentage trimmed." I can take a screenshot if you want.

That's up to you, but otherwise I think that covered what I needed to know about it.