Best (preferably free) place to learn a given language?

bgibbz

So here is my situation- I am a junior in high school who is very interested in learning a programming language. My school offers a regular computer science where we learn JavaScript, HTML, CSS (took this last year) and an AP course where java is taught (which I intended on taking next year). Unfortunately, the computer science teacher left after last year, and the new one is apparently horrible according to some of my friends. I'm still very interested in learning a language, but I think I would have a better chance teaching my self rather than dealing with it next year in school. I'm thinking I want to learn c# and java, as they are very similar languages. What would be the best place to learn them online? I would prefer it to be free, but if using something like linda.com would be a huge benefit, I would consider paying for it. Also, are there any more practical languages to learn? I know c++ is probably the most used language, but I haven't really run into many applications of it (that I've noticed). I will primarily be using the language I learn to make hobby games or create basic desktop programs. 

Thanks for any help!

******If you paste in text into your post, please click the "remove formatting" button for night theme users.******

CPU- Intel 6700k OC to 4.69 Ghz GPU- NVidia Geforce GTX 970 (MSI) RAM- 16gb DDR4 2400 SSD-2x500gb samsung 850 EVO(SATA) Raid 0 HDD- 2tb Seagate Case- H440 Red w/ custom lighting Motherboard - MSI Z170 Gaming A OS- Windows 10 Mouse- Razer Naga Epic Chroma, Final Mouse 2016 turney proKeyboard- Corsair k70 Cherry MX brown

4 minutes ago, bgibbz said:

So here is my situation- I am a junior in high school who is very interested in learning a programming language. My school offers a regular computer science where we learn JavaScript, HTML, CSS (took this last year) and an AP course where java is taught (which I intended on taking next year). Unfortunately, the computer science teacher left after last year, and the new one is apparently horrible according to some of my friends. I'm still very interested in learning a language, but I think I would have a better chance teaching my self rather than dealing with it next year in school. I'm thinking I want to learn c# and java, as they are very similar languages. What would be the best place to learn them online? I would prefer it to be free, but if using something like linda.com would be a huge benefit, I would consider paying for it. Also, are there any more practical languages to learn? I know c++ is probably the most used language, but I haven't really run into many applications of it (that I've noticed). I will primarily be using the language I learn to make hobby games or create basic desktop programs. 

Thanks for any help!

https://www.codecademy.com/

hey man I am a junior that took the AP test as a freshman what I will say is that you can learn it on you own if you are willing

Also I first started learning from code academy when I was in seventh grade and nowadays I help make OSes so I would say that they have me a strong base to learn from.

Just now, asapansh said:

hey man I am a junior that took the AP test as a freshman what I will say is that you can learn it on you own if you are willing

Thanks! I regret not taking that the ap comp sci as a freshman, couple of my friends took it and said it wasn't bad either. ill give codeacademy.com a try, thanks!

******If you paste in text into your post, please click the "remove formatting" button for night theme users.******

CPU- Intel 6700k OC to 4.69 Ghz GPU- NVidia Geforce GTX 970 (MSI) RAM- 16gb DDR4 2400 SSD-2x500gb samsung 850 EVO(SATA) Raid 0 HDD- 2tb Seagate Case- H440 Red w/ custom lighting Motherboard - MSI Z170 Gaming A OS- Windows 10 Mouse- Razer Naga Epic Chroma, Final Mouse 2016 turney proKeyboard- Corsair k70 Cherry MX brown

4 minutes ago, bgibbz said:

What would be the best place to learn them online? I would prefer it to be free, but if using something like linda.com would be a huge benefit, I would consider paying for it.

It's never worth paying for. Never buy programming lessons. Look everything up as you go along and ask questions. Work on projects on your own. "How can I do this?" and figure it out. That's how you'll become successful at it. Not with a "Python for Dummies" or "Learn Java programming 2016".

Also, avoid Java. It's crap and you'll hate yourself for it.

Just now, bgibbz said:

Thanks! I regret not taking that the ap comp sci as a freshman, couple of my friends took it and said it wasn't bad either. ill give codeacademy.com a try, thanks!

all the best to you. Also if you intend on taking the AP test( it would be good to show to colleges) the Princeton book helped me prepare as I didnt know any java prior to the class. 

1 minute ago, MaxBunny said:

It's never worth paying for. Never buy programming lessons. Look everything up as you go along and ask questions. Work on projects on your own. "How can I do this?" and figure it out. That's how you'll become successful at it. Not with a "Python for Dummies" or "Learn Java programming 2016".

totally agree java sucks i still suck at it

2 minutes ago, MaxBunny said:

Any other recommend languages?

Just now, bgibbz said:

Any other recommend languages?

Anything else. Even Assembly and Binary. Just not Java. :P

Well, it matters what you want to do as a career and why you want to learn it. My dad has his M.A. in programming. He'd say w3schools.com for HTML-5 or most weblanguages. It really does matter the purpose. Learning C is one of the best starts to it. After that, it matters your career path.

-LukeS

"I don't try to be smart, I try to observe. Millions saw the apple fall, only one asked "why?""

Just now, LukeS said:

Well, it matters what you want to do as a career and why you want to learn it. My dad has his M.A. in programming. He'd say w3schools.com for HTML-5 or most weblanguages. It really does matter the purpose. Learning C is one of the best starts to it. After that, it matters your career path.

-LukeS

I plan on going into electrical engineering, my interest in programming is pretty much just a hobby currently. 

1 minute ago, bgibbz said:

I plan on going into electrical engineering, my interest in programming is pretty much just a hobby currently. 

Hmmm... Engineering is a good path. Go to Purdue University ;) (just kidding, alot of engineers I know are graduates there...)... Anyway, I'd learn how to use C, then some database language such as python or oracle. Again, C, then C+, and C++ are REALLY good as they're used. Also learning Base and getting a credit in it looks good on a transcript. Universal languages as well are good. I can ask my dad if you want me to (he works for a pretty large engineering/programming place). As for 'hobby' is it for the sake of learning a program, hacking, creating programs, editing, etc?

-LukeS

"I don't try to be smart, I try to observe. Millions saw the apple fall, only one asked "why?""

8 minutes ago, LukeS said:

Hmmm... Engineering is a good path. Go to Purdue University ;) (just kidding, alot of engineers I know are graduates there...)... Anyway, I'd learn how to use C, then some database language such as python or oracle. Again, C, then C+, and C++ are REALLY good as they're used. Also learning Base and getting a credit in it looks good on a transcript. Universal languages as well are good. I can ask my dad if you want me to (he works for a pretty large engineering/programming place). As for 'hobby' is it for the sake of learning a program, hacking, creating programs, editing, etc?

-LukeS

Purdue is number 1 on my list :D

by hobby, I meant I plan on using it non commercially. I will probably make some basics games and basic desktop applications. If I get inspiration, maybe I will attempt some larger project. I had fun messing around with the whole "web devolopment suit" (JavaScript, HTML, CSS), I just found it a bit limiting. I really want to learn a (few) desktop language(s) that I can just use to mess around.  I've played around with unity a bit, and dabbled on c++ like 2 years ago (nothing much, learned enough to make a basic calculator and some other basic utilities like that). 

3 minutes ago, Erik Sieghart said:

Start with C or C++, something low level. Then work your way lower level from there until you're coding Assembly.

As an electrical engineer you'll be designing a lot of embedded systems that will be controlled through Assembly written code.

Thanks for the advice, you along with others have recommended starting with c then working my way up, so I think that's what I'll do. 

2 minutes ago, Erik Sieghart said:

Oracle is a company and python isn't a database language.

SQL is a database language.

Yeah, I just realized that. My bad. Still would suggest SQL sometime... Knowing bits and pieces of programming is useful.

3 minutes ago, bgibbz said:

Purdue is number 1 on my list :D

by hobby, I meant I plan on using it non commercially. I will probably make some basics games and basic desktop applications. If I get inspiration, maybe I will attempt some larger project. I had fun messing around with the whole "web devolopment suit" (JavaScript, HTML, CSS), I just found it a bit limiting. I really want to learn a (few) desktop language(s) that I can just use to mess around.  I've played around with unity a bit, and dabbled on c++ like 2 years ago (nothing much, learned enough to make a basic calculator and some other basic utilities like that). 

Haha nice! If you have any questions about the area, I probably can get answers. As bgibbz said, start with C. Focus on school though! Maths is important. Get ahead. Trust me on this, it's one of the biggest educational regrets which I have. If you have the opportunity, get ahead, especially for engineering geared courses. P.M. me (if you want) on what your plans are for after college! I can give some input if you want (again, know alot of engineers and what they'd say to do after college...)