No idea what to get here

3 Minute Reviewer

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/2ND74C

Hey guys, I really have no idea what I should be buying here.  I am in the price range of 200-250 (USD) and really cant go outside of that.  I'm not sure if I should be looking for 1080p or 1440p.  I am a fairly casual game player so I'm not looking for something that will give me a "competitive edge" while playing but rather something around 25" that will look crisp and bright for all uses of my computer.  Thanks for the input.

Edit - A few options I'm considering right now

http://pcpartpicker.com/product/PmyFf7/acer-monitor-umfg6aab01

http://pcpartpicker.com/product/D7hj4D/acer-monitor-umkg7aa002

http://pcpartpicker.com/product/dLkwrH/acer-monitor-umkg7aa001

http://pcpartpicker.com/product/Tw9KHx/acer-monitor-umhh6aa001

I have an XFX RX 480 8GB and I can play everything I own on 1080p at max and a fair few games at 1440p (max-ish depending on what i'm playing) no issues.

Intel i5 6600k @ 4.5GHz | NZXT Kraken X52 | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | Asus ROG Strix GTX 1070 | 16GB DDR4 Corsair Dominator Platinum @ 3200MHz | CoolerMaster MasterCase 5

6 minutes ago, Zangashtu said:

I have an XFX RX 480 8GB and I can play everything I own on 1080p at max and a fair few games at 1440p (max-ish depending on what i'm playing) no issues.

So you think I'm better off going for something like a 1080p IPS in my case?

Well that would definitely improve the general look of the games, but I suppose it's down to personal opinion, I myself have my PC hooked up to an LG full HD smart TV so not optimized at all and think everything looks great but I have never seen in person gaming on an IPS monitor.

So it could be a case of research or just go for it. But I would probably say that an IPS would make a difference to overall looks. 

Intel i5 6600k @ 4.5GHz | NZXT Kraken X52 | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | Asus ROG Strix GTX 1070 | 16GB DDR4 Corsair Dominator Platinum @ 3200MHz | CoolerMaster MasterCase 5

1 minute ago, Zangashtu said:

Well that would definitely improve the general look of the games, but I suppose it's down to personal opinion, I myself have my PC hooked up to an LG full HD smart TV so not optimized at all and think everything looks great but I have never seen in person gaming on an IPS monitor.

So it could be a case of research or just go for it. But I would probably say that an IPS would make a difference to overall looks. 

My last experience with pc gaming was really on a Dell XPS back when COD 4 came out and since then I've stuck to XBox.  I really want to get a high quality screen thats gonna look great, but at the same time, I feel like pretty much anything is gonna look great to me at this point haha

Well I'm in the same boat I went from a PS4 on a diddy 22" to full 1080p and 1440p on a PC on a big ass smart TV so yeah everything will definitely instantly look sooo much better :P

2 minutes ago, Zangashtu said:

Well I'm in the same boat I went from a PS4 on a diddy 22" to full 1080p and 1440p on a PC on a big ass smart TV so yeah everything will definitely instantly look sooo much better :P

Haha yeah, so I guess i really cant go wrong with anything I'm considering

No absolutely not :)

The only thing I would say is that the i7 is probably overkill unless you are planning on doing 3d rendering or anything like that. An i5 6600k would be more thatn sufficient for gaming, especially if you plan on overclocking it.

And double check if 140mm fans definitely fit in that case as I have made that mistake before hahaha

Just now, Zangashtu said:

No absolutely not :)

The only thing I would say is that the i7 is probably overkill unless you are planning on doing 3d rendering or anything like that. An i5 6600k would be more thatn sufficient for gaming, especially if you plan on overclocking it.

The main motivation behind the i7 is that I plan to start some casual streaming as well as looking for a CPU that'll last and be relevant for 5+ years.  Do you think the i5-6600k would be able to handle that?

1 minute ago, Zangashtu said:

And double check if 140mm fans definitely fit in that case as I have made that mistake before hahaha

Haha yeah I have like tripple checked like everything on that list, it can support two 140's in the front as intakes

Possibly? I can't speak from experience i'm afraid. But I would say if you're reason for it is future proofing for about 5 years then go for it I imagine it would be quite relevant for many years.

And good, as you can imagine it's very annoying getting parts that dont fit :P

Looks good! It's not an IPS monitor but with a 1ms response time and refresh rate of 144mhz you could mess around with the screen settings and probably get it to look just as good!