280x CF, resets to 1GHz every boot

elpiGee

Hello. 

I'm running two Gigabyte R9 280x. Usually I run them at 1120/1500. 

But every time I reboot my system, they reset to 1GHz on the core, and then they're stuck there. I can't change anything in afterburner. The way I can temporarily solve this is to disable and then reenable crossfire in radeon settings.

I use msi afterburner to control my clock and fan curve. It boots with my system and has worked perfectly for a long period of time until recently I can't remember when it first started happening but it has been at least 2 months. I think it could possibly have been after when I took both cards out for dust cleaning if that can possibly have anything to do with it.

I've already tried to reinstall drivers, both with DDU and without. 

Restarting afterburner does nothing either. 

I use afterburner 4.2.0

Radeon 16.9.1 at the moment. Issue still occurs.

These are my cards: http://www.gigabyte.se/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4793#ov

Ideas as to why this is happening? Check out my pcpartpicker for all my specs.

have you tried the newest drivers just released?

Radeon Software Crimson Edition 16.9.2 Release Notes

ASUS Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570**AMD Ryzen 5800X**16G Corsair Vengence RGB 3600Mhz **ASUS Strix RX6700XT OC**Corsair H150i RGB Platinum AIO**Samsung 2-2TB 970 EVO Plus m.2**2-860 2 1/2 EVO 1Tb SSD's**Creative Sound Blaster Z**Corsair HX1200i PSU w/Black sleeved corsair Cables**Corsair 5000D Airflow**BenQ XL2730Z 1440p 144Hz 27"**BenQ XL2720Z 27"**Corsair K95 RGB Platinum Keyboard**Roccat Kave 5.1 Gaming headset,Roccat Kone Pure Black Gaming mouse**Windows 10 PRO

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

11 hours ago, Earnhardt said:

have you tried the newest drivers just released?

Radeon Software Crimson Edition 16.9.2 Release Notes

I solved the issue on current drivers I believe!

I tried afterburner 4.3.0 beta 14, initially with no results with same settings. But after deselecting "Erase autosaved startup settings" and rebooting it did actually have my overclock now! 

1 hour ago, elpiGee said:

I solved the issue on current drivers I believe!

I tried afterburner 4.3.0 beta 14, initially with no results with same settings. But after deselecting "Erase autosaved startup settings" and rebooting it did actually have my overclock now! 

Ah nope. 

Booted at 1120, but at some point today it went back to 1GHz and it refuses to change no matter what I enter into afterburner.

• 1 month later...

Small update to this. As far as I've seen card number 1 has this problem only. The second card is running at 1120 when the first card runs at 1000MHz.

To rule out the card itself being the problem I've now tried testing them one at a time. I took out the secondary card. The first card runs at 1GHz as it did before and ignores my settings in afterburner. 

Now i've taken it out and tried the other one alone. When I first booted it did the same, ran at 1GHz and ignored afterburner. I rebooted and it goes to 1120MHz initally and has stayed that for the past few mins as I'm typing this.

So the issue might be solely on what GPU is currently the main one or the 1st PCI-E slot

Now it did the same thing. I've played alot and it ran fine at 1120, now when I launched overwatch it reset to 1GHz again. So the card does not matter it's something with the settings.

Does ANYONE have any idea of a solution? I'm sick of this by now.

I had a similar issue with my pair of graphics cards, and it had to do with which PCIe slot is used for the main graphics card (the one that the monitor is plugged into).

My MoBo has 3 main slots: x16, x8 and x4.

If I boot the PC with the monitor plugged into the card in the x16 slot, all works fine.

If I however have the main card in either the x4 and x8, the other card gets permanently stuck at 300 mhz.

Try using all possible slot combinations, would be my advice.

i7 4790K || R9 290X + R9 290 || 16GB G.Skill TridentX 1866 || Gigabyte Z97MX Gaming 5 || Crucial MX100 256GB || WD Caviar Blue 1TB

10 minutes ago, Litargirio said:

I had a similar issue with my pair of graphics cards, and it had to do with which PCIe slot is used for the main graphics card (the one that the monitor is plugged into).

My MoBo has 3 main slots: x16, x8 and x4.

If I boot the PC with the monitor plugged into the card in the x16 slot, all works fine.

If I however have the main card in either the x4 and x8, the other card gets permanently stuck at 300 mhz.

Try using all possible slot combinations, would be my advice.

All my main slots are 16x: http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/X79 Extreme3/

But the bottom one is not possible to use with my cards as they collide with the cables to the front panel connectors. Does it even work if I throw my 2nd card in and plug the monitors into it even though it's on the second slot and there is a card in the 1st?

You can plug the monitor into whatever slot. 

The way it works for me is with the monitor plugged into the first slot, and the other card into the last slot, the one that you say collides with the connectors by just bending the cables a bit.

Though I don't have to use a crossfire bridge, and in your case this would be too far away.

I dunno, can you really not plug the main card into the bottom slot by bending the cables?

i7 4790K || R9 290X + R9 290 || 16GB G.Skill TridentX 1866 || Gigabyte Z97MX Gaming 5 || Crucial MX100 256GB || WD Caviar Blue 1TB

1 minute ago, Litargirio said:

You can plug the monitor into whatever slot. 

The way it works for me is with the monitor plugged into the first slot, and the other card into the last slot, the one that you say collides with the connectors by just bending the cables a bit.

Though I don't have to use a crossfire bridge, and in your case this would be too far away.

I dunno, can you really not plug the main card into the bottom slot by bending the cables?

With some violence maybe. I could try again. I do have a longer crossfire cable.