Is 850 watt psu enough for r9 290 crossfire.

alihazzi7

i upgraded to an gtx 1080, i gave my old cards to my mate for cheap, he has a corsair hx850 psu, he is running an old i7 980x 4.4ghz 1.5vcore 12gb ram and my r9 290s cf, will that be enough for him ? 

More than enough.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

1 minute ago, DunePilot said:

Maybe for a 4.7-8GHz OC but not 4.4GHz....

degraded cpu he had it at 5ghz at one point,  3 years ago

Just now, alihazzi7 said:

degraded cpu he had it at 5ghz at one point,  3 years ago

So it's been 1.5v for ages lol... understandable. Its amazing how long X58 has still been relevant. I have two X58 builds myself I have Xeons in mine though replaced my i7 960 ages ago. 

Just now, DunePilot said:

So it's been 1.5v for ages lol... understandable. Its amazing how long X58 has still been relevant. I have two X58 builds myself I have Xeons in mine though replaced my i7 960 ages ago. 

haha, x56 xeons are amazing, i my self built a system year ago, using the x5650 and overclocked it to 4.4ghz, it was amazing, now i have a 5960x looking to upgrade to 6950x next year. when i get my tax returns 

Just now, andreboy70 said:

I prefer the bequiet one, but use the one you like :)

it says 800watt should be enough, i am testing on his system right now, the PSU fan kicks in everytime a game starts, he also has Corsair h100i 2 of them 1 for gpu 1 for cpu and planing on getting another one for the second gpu i gave him, :P he loves the h100i 

Just now, alihazzi7 said:

haha, x56 xeons are amazing, i my self built a system year ago, using the x5650 and overclocked it to 4.4ghz, it was amazing, now i have a 5960x looking to upgrade to 6950x next year. when i get my tax returns 

I sold one to a friend a week ago and am building a 6800k rig to replace it. It will just be a placeholder rig while I wait on the new stuff and reuse a spare 980Ti, I just can't justify the 6950X personally and think a 6800k will more than suffice until Cannon / Kaby / Skylake-E (whatever I end up going with, would prefer at least 6 cores though so might just skip Kaby). Sounds like you know what you're doing and I'm sure by next year when you get the cash you'll re-evaluate as needed. Hopefully we have some awesome upgrade options by then.

2 minutes ago, DunePilot said:

I sold one to a friend a week ago and am building a 6800k rig to replace it. It will just be a placeholder rig while I wait on the new stuff and reuse a spare 980Ti, I just can't justify the 6950X personally and think a 6800k will more than suffice until Cannon / Kaby / Skylake-E (whatever I end up going with, would prefer at least 6 cores though so might just skip Kaby). Sounds like you know what you're doing and I'm sure by next year when you get the cash you'll re-evaluate as needed. Hopefully we have some awesome upgrade options by then.

I might end up changing my mind and going for 2 xeon's what ever is out at that time, coz i do a lot of folding@home, if you watch "nerdgasm barnacules" i am number number 35th on his list people have more powerfull stuff then me, trying to get into top 10s, 

25 minutes ago, alihazzi7 said:

i upgraded to an gtx 1080, i gave my old cards to my mate for cheap, he has a corsair hx850 psu, he is running an old i7 980x 4.4ghz 1.5vcore 12gb ram and my r9 290s cf, will that be enough for him ? 

A 290 uses about 280W. That's 560W for both cards. About 200W for an extremely high CPU OC + other crap = 760W at most. You have close to 100W in headroom

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

If i'm not mistaken the calculators give you a recommended number of Watt and not what the Pc will actually be consuming.

Just now, Hilite24 said:

If i'm not mistaken the calculators give you a recommended number of Watt and not what the Pc will actually be consuming.

Calculators just sum up the rated TDP of everything and then add 100-200W on top of that - hence why they are useless.

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

3 minutes ago, alihazzi7 said:

I might end up changing my mind and going for 2 xeon's what ever is out at that time, coz i do a lot of folding@home, if you watch "nerdgasm barnacules" i am number number 35th on his list people have more powerfull stuff then me, trying to get into top 10s, 

Lol right on. My only 2 cpu rig is the Mac Pro I fixed up awhile back (in my sig). It's great for what it's purpose was but yeah at "only" ~1612 Cinebench it's already way outdated. For recording music (its purpose) it's insanely overkill. My next build that I'm really looking for is a whole lot of "sit and wait" I do have the case already though, a white and grey case labs SMA8. The 6800k I'm building the next couple weeks though is just going into probably either a Phanteks or an In Win. 

Props to big plans, goodluck getting into top 10.

1 hour ago, alihazzi7 said:

it says 800watt should be enough, i am testing on his system right now, the PSU fan kicks in everytime a game starts, he also has Corsair h100i 2 of them 1 for gpu 1 for cpu and planing on getting another one for the second gpu i gave him, :P he loves the h100i 

Ofcourse, with the h100i... lol, but 850 W should be just enough for all of that at the same time :), although i always take a bit higher just to be safe and for upgrade potential, but 850 W should do just fine :)