SD Card Corruption?

I have an older average cannon camera. Recently after copying some pictures off of the SD card I reinserted it into the camera and discovered that the card had an error. I inserted it back into the computer and the computer says that the card needs to formatted. That means erase all the data. I did not have to many pictures on the camera but it would be nice to have them. From what I have found on google I could take it to professionals and they could recover the files. Not to sure how much it would cost though. Is there any handy free software that can be used my self to recover the data? I wanted to ask before I decided to stuff it and just reformat the thing. 

1 minute ago, *Chazz said:

I could take it to professionals and they could recover the files.

This is normally a few hundred dollars.

If you care about your data, do this.

1 minute ago, *Chazz said:

Is there any handy free software that can be used my self to recover the dat

What OS.

I normally use linux for this.

First thing, make a image of the drive useing ddrescue.

Then use photorec to recover the data from the drive.

I am using windows, But I do have virtual box on this running linux mint. I  have also considered doing a dual boot which would give me more power. Those are linux commands that you are referring to correct?

Personally i would use TestDisk, i use that on all OS, Windows, Linux and OS X. tho this is a commandline based tool so no GUI.

19 minutes ago, *Chazz said:

I have an older average cannon camera. Recently after copying some pictures off of the SD card I reinserted it into the camera and discovered that the card had an error. I inserted it back into the computer and the computer says that the card needs to formatted. That means erase all the data. I did not have to many pictures on the camera but it would be nice to have them. From what I have found on google I could take it to professionals and they could recover the files. Not to sure how much it would cost though. Is there any handy free software that can be used my self to recover the data? I wanted to ask before I decided to stuff it and just reformat the thing. 

I had this same issue on a micro sd from my go pro. How i fixed it was using command line and chkdsk /f :[DRIVE LETTER]

******If you paste in text into your post, please click the "remove formatting" button for night theme users.******

CPU- Intel 6700k OC to 4.69 Ghz GPU- NVidia Geforce GTX 970 (MSI) RAM- 16gb DDR4 2400 SSD-2x500gb samsung 850 EVO(SATA) Raid 0 HDD- 2tb Seagate Case- H440 Red w/ custom lighting Motherboard - MSI Z170 Gaming A OS- Windows 10 Mouse- Razer Naga Epic Chroma, Final Mouse 2016 turney proKeyboard- Corsair k70 Cherry MX brown

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/20/2016 at 0:09 PM, bgibbz said:

I had this same issue on a micro sd from my go pro. How i fixed it was using command line and chkdsk /f :[DRIVE LETTER]

I actually gave this a try but it responded by saying the the disk was in "RAW" format and that it was unavailable for "RAW" format...

I have continued my search and I found that there is a lot of software out there that you can purchase... Some of it seems reasonably priced. Really tempting to buy because this issue may come up in the future and it would be really nice to have the software on hand. One in particular I think I would consider buying is "wondershare" It was $40 and seemed to have all that I would ever need.

I attempted to mount the usb to a linux mint virtual machine. Unfortunately and I think that it was due to SD card being corrupted, it did not work. 

Right now I am using TestDisk. The command prompt is a bit foreign to me, but with a few youtube vids I was able to get it running. So as I type, it is pulling all the pictures and videos off my SD card. My only gripe is that the file names and information is not kept intact. None the less I am just happy to have them back.

• 5 weeks later...

I wanted to give you guys an update on how things went. I was able to run "testdisk" on the SD card. It an incredible amount of time though. If I remember correctly it was about 8 hours. I also stumbled across "recuva", I found this to be more user friendly and a bit faster. However, I compared the results I got from both programs and I found that test disk found a few more pictures on the SD card. (It was a 32GB). I was also surprised to see some older deleted photos which was a surprise but understandable considering how computer memory works. I also found a few photos that were likely deleted and then written over. I figured I share them with you guys because it is kind of cool. Thanks for your help though! Much appreciated!

[000099].jpg

[000228].jpg