GTX 1060 3GB VS 6GB

JacobKS

What would you guys prefer the 3GB or the 6GB version? I've seen a video comparison regarding this two GPUs and the difference is not that big and Nvidia said that the 3GB version is only 5% of performance reduction from the original version which is the 6GB. Do you think that the 3GB version will be fine nowadays, I'm planning to use this on 1080p display and play some high-end games? The 6GB version is only higher about 2-6 FPS on average based on the benchmarks from DigitalFoundry. And can you guys give me an example of games that are heavily VRAM intensive and games that are not?

you need a lot of vram nowdays, the 6gb version is supperior because of that. i would personally go for the rx480 8gb.

Of course 6gb.

3gb is a Bottleneck even today ;)

Of course not in all games.. And if you tone down the settings, it might work.

But 3gb vs 6gb will be the difference between Medium Textures, and Very High textures.

Between Sharp and muddy.

And its -10% performance reduction, because -10% shader (and a few other parts got cut off).

Few examples, Rise of the Tomb raider, can easy hit 5.5gb with my 1060 6gb on max (only FXAA). With 3gb you would have to use high or medium textures. 

Deus Ex Mankind devided takes up to 7gb on ULTRA Textures (ok, Very High Textures look 99,9% identical).

But with 3gb you will need Medium settings, that look a LOT worse.

And even if many games might work today. You don't buy the card for the next week. But for the next 2-3 years.

EDIT: https://www.computerbase.de/2016-09/grafikkarten-speicher-vram-test/

It's german, but you might read it with translator. Important are Page 2+3, there are some diagrams.

Average fps are NOT important, they do NOT show you the problems of too low Vram.

It's the frametimes, that get alot worse ;)

Some terms:

Mittel = Medium

Hoch = High

Sehr Hoch = Very High

Ultra = Ultra (lol)

Hyper = Hyper

Texturstufe = Texture setting

Textur = Texture

Edit 2: Just an example, Mirror's Edge Catalyst on Hyper Textures. 

Those are the Frametimes: 13-630.1473672733.png

While such examples are more like exceptions today if you "push it to the limits", but it shows, it can be not enough even TODAY. In the Future, more games will come.

And Textures can make a HUGE difference on Image quality. Just check all the screenshots ^^

I think, Very high textures + Medium settings can look much better, than Medium Textures + ULTRA setting everywhere else.