Sony Vegas Pro 12 Insane Render Times!

BoomLiam

I wrote out a long explanation before about my problem, then Chrome decided to crash, so basically, I have a new computer, (i5 3570k, 8GB RAM) and I rendered a video on there before and it was fine, but yesterday I tried to render a file and it took over 10 hours to reach 40% (btw, I do not add any crazy effects or anything, this kind of stuff rendered fine on my Dell XPS i3 laptop) I am really angry why these videos are taking so long, I then rendered again and it reached 99% after 8 hours then my computer completely froze up and I lost it all.

I don't know what the problem is, nothing is faulty in my computer, just it seems strange when I look at my CPU in Task Manager that it barely ever goes above 10% which I think it should be doing if I'm rendering files on Sony Vegas. I am going to leave it overnight and see how long it takes my XPS to render again, but realistically, the i5 should destroy the laptop's i3 in render times and it isn't.... (I have re-installed Vegas and updated too, no difference)

Anyone had this problem before or know of any fixes? Please let me know :)

Computer Specs (The Space Fridge):

CPU: Intel i5 3570k | Motherboard: MSI Z77A G45 | RAM: Kingston Hyper X Blu | SSD: OCZ Agility 3 (60GB) | 

HDD: Seagate Barracuda (500GB) | GPU: MSI HD 7950 Fwin Frozr iii | PSU: Corsair CX600 | Case: NZXT Phantom 410 w/ NZXT Blue LED strip

Yeah that last 1% is painful.

Have you overclocked your system at all? Chrome crashing and your PC freezing really makes me think you have an unstable OC.

adding more ram and maybe killing few application that run in the background might help also the resolution (idk if you knew) can change things greatly

P.S.

what kind of GPU are you using ?

Well you should first realize that with the way Vegas is designed just because your CPU and RAM aren't maxed at 100% doesn't mean Vegas isn't running as hard as it can. That said however this still seems really weird. The first thing I'd check is if Vegas is even set-up to take advantage of your whole system. I haven't used Vegas in forever but I'm pretty sure if go into edit > preferences > one of those tabs should have a thing about threads, max that to 16 (doesn't matter how many cores/threads you have) then change the thing under it about RAM to 0 (this is allocated RAM for RAM-previewing, not playing back) and see where that gets you. The next thing is what format are you rendering in? Don't use some random, far off codec, literally the best codec Vegas can use is .wmv. From then, as everyone else is saying, you could get more RAM if you'd like to do so. I'm not sure about the newest version of Vegas but it's never really done well at taking advantage of your GPU so I would stray from it.

"Unix was not designed to stop you from doing stupid things, because that would also stop you from doing clever things." - Doug Gwyn

Yeah that last 1% is painful.

Have you overclocked your system at all? Chrome crashing and your PC freezing really makes me think you have an unstable OC.

Haven't overclocked yet, only on the stock cooler (for the moment) but it runs fine at 30-40 Degrees Celsius (sorry for late reply)

CPU: Intel i5 3570k | Motherboard: MSI Z77A G45 | RAM: Kingston Hyper X Blu | SSD: OCZ Agility 3 (60GB) | 

HDD: Seagate Barracuda (500GB) | GPU: MSI HD 7950 Fwin Frozr iii | PSU: Corsair CX600 | Case: NZXT Phantom 410 w/ NZXT Blue LED strip

adding more ram and maybe killing few application that run in the background might help also the resolution (idk if you knew) can change things greatly

P.S.

what kind of GPU are you using ?

Running on the integrated Intel HD 4000 which seems to be performing better in games than my GeForce 625m what was in my laptop (which was able to render just fine before) Though I will be getting a 7950 once I can get the money.

Well you should first realize that with the way Vegas is designed just because your CPU and RAM aren't maxed at 100% doesn't mean Vegas isn't running as hard as it can. That said however this still seems really weird. The first thing I'd check is if Vegas is even set-up to take advantage of your whole system. I haven't used Vegas in forever but I'm pretty sure if go into edit > preferences > one of those tabs should have a thing about threads, max that to 16 (doesn't matter how many cores/threads you have) then change the thing under it about RAM to 0 (this is allocated RAM for RAM-previewing, not playing back) and see where that gets you. The next thing is what format are you rendering in? Don't use some random, far off codec, literally the best codec Vegas can use is .wmv. From then, as everyone else is saying, you could get more RAM if you'd like to do so. I'm not sure about the newest version of Vegas but it's never really done well at taking advantage of your GPU so I would stray from it.
Ok, I will try taking those steps you mentioned and I currently render in .mp4 using the Main Concept AVC/ACC codec which normally provides the fastest render times but creates large files. I will take a sample video and try .wmv and try the other codecs to see which performs best. Thanks for the help :)