Is water cooled or air cooled better?

So I'm building my pc and I'm wondering if I should get a water cooler for my CPU or a air cooler for my CPU? I am not deciding on brand or model just in general. BTW I am overclocking this.

Air cooling can be quieter and is generally cheaper but liquid cooling is less limited when it comes to cooling capacity since surface area can be increased with rads away from the cpu as opposed to being constrained around the motherboard area.

If you want to push for as high of an oc is possible with little regard towards getting a good value, liquid cooling is the answer. 

Otherwise, air cooling is usually the more sensible solution. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

is this a question water cooling!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

Generally speaking, if you want "more bang for your buck" on overclocking, liquid cooling is the way to go 

Keep in mind, liquid cooling generally puts more heat into the room/area though if the component runs hot enough 

-this shouldn't be that much of an issue with something like Skylake though as I've heard Skylake is pretty hard to push to get high temperatures 

25 minutes ago, IAmLamp said:

Generally speaking, if you want "more bang for your buck" on overclocking, liquid cooling is the way to go 

Keep in mind, liquid cooling generally puts more heat into the room/area though if the component runs hot enough 

-this shouldn't be that much of an issue with something like Skylake though as I've heard Skylake is pretty hard to push to get high temperatures 

No, liquid cooling isn't a better bang for your buck. 

For example, a 6700k that could reach 4.8ghz with liquid cooling would probably hit 4.4-4.5ghz with a $30 heatsink like the 212 Evo. 

The temperature a component runs at doesn't change the amount of heat it puts out. The temperature has to do with how quickly the cooling can move the heat away from the component.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

3 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

No, liquid cooling isn't a better bang for your buck. 

For example, a 6700k that could reach 4.8ghz with liquid cooling would probably hit 4.4-4.5ghz with a $30 heatsink like the 212 Evo. 

The temperature a component runs at doesn't change the amount of heat it puts out. The temperature has to do with how quickly the cooling can move the heat away from the component.

Oh then I think the correct thing I should have said would be, the most out of it.