UPS power supply?

Coombzy

Hey guys, I wasn't sure where to put this topic but it will be attach to my PC so I can only assume its technically a Peripheral. Anyway, I've been looking into UPS boxes for when I redo my setup. I'm not too familiar with them myself and I was wondering the best ones (UK please). For a little bit of information I intend to connect my PC and possibly my monitors to it, I do want some flexibility as I am planning a big PC upgrade soon which will most likely be an SLI system. From this information any help regarding the subject would be much appreciated. Thank you :) 

I have good luck with APC brand UPS units. The one I have now is I think 650W which my max load is like 400W and I have my PC,Monitors, and a few other things plugged into it. http://www.apc.com/shop/us/en/products/APC-Power-Saving-Back-UPS-Pro-700/P-BR700G The link is to one that is similar to what I own. I dont know if its available in the UK but I like it for the information display of how many watts are being pulled from the wall and then if its on battery if gives me a estimated time till batteries are empty. Also most UPS of this type come with the ability to tell the computer to shut down at loss of power longer than like 5min 

3 minutes ago, Adalhelm said:

I have good luck with APC brand UPS units. The one I have now is I think 650W which my max load is like 400W and I have my PC,Monitors, and a few other things plugged into it. http://www.apc.com/shop/us/en/products/APC-Power-Saving-Back-UPS-Pro-700/P-BR700G The link is to one that is similar to what I own. I dont know if its available in the UK but I like it for the information display of how many watts are being pulled from the wall and then if its on battery if gives me a estimated time till batteries are empty. Also most UPS of this type come with the ability to tell the computer to shut down at loss of power longer than like 5min 

I don't mind spending out to protect my investments, is this a decent APC unit?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/APC-Smart-UPS-SMC-Uninterruptible-Interactive/dp/B00DYP6HPA/ref=sr_1_3?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1474294952&sr=1-3&keywords=ups+power+supply

3 minutes ago, Coombzy said:

Yeah its a beast and a bit overkill but you will always have enough overhead. 

11 hours ago, Coombzy said:

APC or Cyberpower is a good one to look at but what are you planning on running in your system since we can determine what exactly you will need, assume that you won't need a unit that large.

-Moved to Case and Power Supplies- 

You can't have too much extra power :)

I have used 2 of these

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA7RD2WW8809&cm_re=CP1500AVRLCD-_-42-102-048-_-Product

for 3 years now,Even while gaming and the power goes out,not so much as a flicker and hopefully the power comes back on before I have to shut down.

ASUS Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570**AMD Ryzen 5800X**16G Corsair Vengence RGB 3600Mhz **ASUS Strix RX6700XT OC**Corsair H150i RGB Platinum AIO**Samsung 2-2TB 970 EVO Plus m.2**2-860 2 1/2 EVO 1Tb SSD's**Creative Sound Blaster Z**Corsair HX1200i PSU w/Black sleeved corsair Cables**Corsair 5000D Airflow**BenQ XL2730Z 1440p 144Hz 27"**BenQ XL2720Z 27"**Corsair K95 RGB Platinum Keyboard**Roccat Kave 5.1 Gaming headset,Roccat Kone Pure Black Gaming mouse**Windows 10 PRO

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

On 20/09/2016 at 3:43 AM, Earnhardt said:

You can't have too much extra power :)

I have used 2 of these

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA7RD2WW8809&cm_re=CP1500AVRLCD-_-42-102-048-_-Product

for 3 years now,Even while gaming and the power goes out,not so much as a flicker and hopefully the power comes back on before I have to shut down.

hmmm I was looking at the Cyberpower ones for sure since they seem to be a lot cheaper than the APC units. Is there a reason for this or is it just APC being greedy?

8 minutes ago, Coombzy said:

hmmm I was looking at the Cyberpower ones for sure since they seem to be a lot cheaper than the APC units. Is there a reason for this or is it just APC being greedy?

APC is the top brand in terms of UPS's but the Cyberpower is very good theses days, their PFC units are some of their best competitors since they are pure sinewave units to what APC has. 

Why do you want a UPS?

I ask because you seem to be more concerned with protecting your components than worrying about having time to shut things down.

The main feature of a UPS is it's ability to supply power to your computer for a while after a power failure to allow you time to close down your work so you don't lose anything you've been working on. This is mainly useful for professionals who are writing things or doing CAD work, etc, where they want to save their latest work before shutting down.

While a good UPS usually also includes good surge protection, if you are just an average user and/or gamer, you just need a surge protector without the UPS feature. A good surge protector is much cheaper than a good UPS.

A sieve may not hold water, but it will hold another sieve.

i5-6600, 16Gigs, ITX Corsair 250D, R9 390, 120Gig M.2 boot, 500Gig SATA SSD, no HDD

I would never go with Just a surge protector again, Try unplugging your computer a few times while its on and see how well it works afterwards ,No thanks!

In the summer here we get quite a few Thunderstorms and power outages.

Too much of a risk of HD corruption.

ASUS Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570**AMD Ryzen 5800X**16G Corsair Vengence RGB 3600Mhz **ASUS Strix RX6700XT OC**Corsair H150i RGB Platinum AIO**Samsung 2-2TB 970 EVO Plus m.2**2-860 2 1/2 EVO 1Tb SSD's**Creative Sound Blaster Z**Corsair HX1200i PSU w/Black sleeved corsair Cables**Corsair 5000D Airflow**BenQ XL2730Z 1440p 144Hz 27"**BenQ XL2720Z 27"**Corsair K95 RGB Platinum Keyboard**Roccat Kave 5.1 Gaming headset,Roccat Kone Pure Black Gaming mouse**Windows 10 PRO

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

8 hours ago, Coombzy said:

At the time I bought mine,they had the best reviews out.

On 21/09/2016 at 4:51 PM, Quaker said:

Why do you want a UPS?

I ask because you seem to be more concerned with protecting your components than worrying about having time to shut things down.

The main feature of a UPS is it's ability to supply power to your computer for a while after a power failure to allow you time to close down your work so you don't lose anything you've been working on. This is mainly useful for professionals who are writing things or doing CAD work, etc, where they want to save their latest work before shutting down.

While a good UPS usually also includes good surge protection, if you are just an average user and/or gamer, you just need a surge protector without the UPS feature. A good surge protector is much cheaper than a good UPS.

Surge protectors I've had in the past have been utter crap even on the high-end. A UPS allows me to easily shut things off in the case of a storm or something else where the power might go out. Surge protectors don't protect your hard-drives etc from corruption, I would much rather have something that can allow easy shut-down and saving of data before power down. I also work from my computer and I don't want a project i'm working on to suddenly be lost because of a power outage.