GTX 1070 or new monitor - which one to get first?

L4chun

Hello,

I am not sure if I should get a gtx 1070 or a new 144Hz monitor for my build first. I've been thinking about this for over two weeks now and I am planning to get one of them in October, and I was wondering what you guys think or might suggest.

I have the specs for my PC below - I'm a graphic designer so it's important for me to have an IPS monitor but I also love to play games that require some really good graphics cards if I want to have a decent fps at high or even ultra settings. I have a R9 280X OC 3 gigs vram and it's pretty good, but I'm starting to feel like it's getting a bit weaker and old for recent AAA games.

What do you guys think, should I get a gtx 1070 first and play games with it on my 60Hz IPS monitor, or I should rather buy a higher refresh rate IPS monitor for games that have an fps range of 75-130 with my system (I'm guessing the gameplay would get slightly more fluid)?

So the specs are:

i7 4790K

Kingston HyperX 16 GB 1600

Sapphire R9 280X OC

LG 24MP77

Thanks for all your help!

How long would it take you to get a 1070 if you were to get a monitor first? If you'd be looking at some time next year, then you might as well just get the monitor now and wait for the 11xx line of cards to be released.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

2 minutes ago, L4chun said:

Hello,

I am not sure if I should get a gtx 1070 or a new 144Hz monitor for my build first. I've been thinking about this for over two weeks now and I am planning to get one of them in October, and I was wondering what you guys think or might suggest.

I have the specs for my PC below - I'm a graphic designer so it's important for me to have an IPS monitor but I also love to play games that require some really good graphics cards if I want to have a decent fps at high or even ultra settings. I have a R9 280X OC 3 gigs vram and it's pretty good, but I'm starting to feel like it's getting a bit weaker and old for recent AAA games.

What do you guys think, should I get a gtx 1070 first and play games with it on my 60Hz IPS monitor, or I should rather buy a higher refresh rate IPS monitor for games that have an fps range of 75-130 with my system (I'm guessing the gameplay would get slightly more fluid)?

So the specs are:

i7 4790K

Kingston HyperX 16 GB 1600

Sapphire R9 280X OC

LG 24MP77

Thanks for all your help!

I would buy the GPU first so you get some increased performance while you wait. No point in buying a 144hz monitor if you cant use it fully yet. 

Please quote our replys so we get a notification and can reply easily. Never cheap out on a PSU, or I will come to watch the fireworks. 

PSU Tier List

My specs

Spoiler

PC:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K @4.8GHz
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S 
Motherboard:  ASUS Maximus VIII Hero 
GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme 1070 @ 2114Mhz
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB
Case: Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 
Power Supply: EVGA 750W G2

Peripherals 

Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Browns
Mouse: Logitech G502 
Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Revolver 

Monitor: U2713M @ 75Hz

5 minutes ago, L4chun said:

What do you guys think, should I get a gtx 1070 first and play games with it on my 60Hz IPS monitor, or I should rather buy a higher refresh rate IPS monitor for games that have an fps range of 75-130 with my system (I'm guessing the gameplay would get slightly more fluid)

I'd get the monitor first, then wait for the next line of graphics cards. AMD's Vega line will be coming out soon and a Freesync 144hz is going to be cheaper than a GSYNC 144hz anyway. But either way works.

What are the specs of your monitor as of right now?

I just recently upgraded my GPU then my Monitor to a 1440... I enjoyed the game play with the new gpu and allowed me to do some editing with no issues at all... I would update your GPU first due to that the 1440 will require more power to run at that resolution and is pretty demanding at times.

If you're not changing the resolution, just the framerate, go ahead and get the monitor now, then snatch up a 1070 during the holiday sales. 60fps at 1080p is 60fps at 1080p, whether that monitor operates at 60Hz or 144Hz.

I enjoy buying junk and sinking more money than it's worth into it to make it less junk.

I would get the card and save for a 1440p 144hz monitor, or get a 1440p monitor first and then the card.

The R9 280X can't really do max settings graphics in games anymore, so, getting a 1440p monitor will leave you with playing games at very low settings, at 1440p resolution, or medium settings at 1080p resolution. But, running games at 1080p resolution on a 1440p monitor makes them slightly blurry, AFAIK, so that wouldn't be great.

I would get the GTX 1070 first, because then you'll be able to max game settings out at 1080p, while you save for a 1440p monitor. I would also look into overclocking your monitor, while you save for a 1440p monitor. You might be able to get your current monitor running at 65 - 72 Hz, which would be great with the GTX 1070.

Note that a GTX 1070 often doesn't get 60 FPS at 1440p, in graphically-intensive games. So, if you get the monitor first, while using an R9 280X, you're going to be getting really low performance at 1440p.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

Thanks for the comments so far guys really appreciate it, it's interesting to hear what each of you think. And to be honest I'm not surprised that you're opinions are equally divided to both sides, same with me.

5 minutes ago, Bknowles702 said:

What are the specs of your monitor as of right now?

If you click on the LG monitor in the specs above, it'll take you to lg's site for its specs.

13 minutes ago, TheKDub said:

How long would it take you to get a 1070 if you were to get a monitor first?

That would be definitely some time around next year.

1 minute ago, Delicieuxz said:

The R9 280X can't really do max settings graphics in games anymore, so, getting a 1440p monitor will leave you with playing games at very low settings, at 1440p resolution, or medium settings at 1080p resolution. But, running games at 1080p resolution on a 1440p monitor makes them slightly blurry, AFAIK, so that wouldn't be great.

I would get the GTX 1070 first, because then you'll be able to max game settings out at 1080p, while you save for a 1440p monitor. I would also look into overclocking your monitor, while you save for a 1440p monitor. You might be able to get your current monitor running at 65 - 72 Hz, which would be great with the GTX 1070.

With the card, yeah that was my train of thoughts as well. I haven't heard of the idea of overclocking a monitor, I'll have a look into that to see if it's possible, thanks!

Thanks guys and keep your suggestions coming if you have any good points that I might have overlooked at, I greatly appreciate it!

I edited in some more information in my previous post.

Just now, L4chun said:

With the card, yeah that was my train of thoughts as well. I haven't heard of the idea of overclocking a monitor, I'll have a look into that to see if it's possible, thanks!

It's straight-forward to do with Nvidia's display control panel.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

Just now, L4chun said:

That would be definitely some time around next year.

Then I'd go for a really amazing monitor for now, then get a 11xx card next year. (Possibility of it being volta instead of pascal)

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W