RX 460 with an older motherboard

Saltxx

PC: HP p6-2110eb

Operation system: Windows 10

Bios version: Lastest from the website provided by HP. http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-pavilion-p6-2100-desktop-pc-series/5187028/model/5231088#Z7_3054ICK0K8UDA0AQC11TA930O2

I've disabled the X16 slot security by HP in the bios and I've inserted the rx460 in the PC, now the PC seems to be booting but I have no graphics, it simply shows nothing on the screen. No beep code errors, nothing. When I turn off the PC and use the onboard connection it turns on without a hassle and the rx460 fans are spinning however it's not recognized in windows.  I've searched for a legacy switch on the GPU but I can't seem to find it. I had an NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS laying around and testing it with this GPU to assure that the PCIe slot isn't broken and this GPU works fine! It was simply plug and play and the system started and the display turned on :) The RX 460 has also been tested on my other computer which is way more recent and it works perfectly. 

Can anyone help me?

EDIT

Things I've done/tested: 

- Yes, the RX460 works, I've tested it in another PC. 

- Yes, the PCIe slot is intact, I had an older GPU lying around and it works with this GPU. 

- Yes, I've updated the BIOS to the lastest version provided from the HP website. It's a 2012 BIOS version which is rather old I'd say, but this is the lastest one I could find for this product. 

- yes, I disabled the X16 slot security in the BIOS.

- I have another 550W power supply laying around and tried it with this PSU, same problem. 

What model of RX 460 do you have? does it have a PCIe power connector (6 or 8 pin) on it? does the HP power supply have a PCIe power connector available? I see that it is only rated at 300w which should be fine, although maybe a bit borderline. I assume you are only using a single display? If a display is plugged into the built-in port, the add in card wont work, or vice versa. 

rmurad38

i7 6700k | 32GB Kingston HyperX DDR4 | ASUS Z170I Pro Gaming | Zotac GTX1070 FE | Samsung 950 Pro 256MB M.2 SSD | SanDisk X400 1TB SSD | Noctua NH-U9S Cooler | EVGA Hadron Air

9 minutes ago, rmurad38 said:

What model of RX 460 do you have? does it have a PCIe power connector (6 or 8 pin) on it? does the HP power supply have a PCIe power connector available? I see that it is only rated at 300w which should be fine, although maybe a bit borderline. I assume you are only using a single display? If a display is plugged into the built-in port, the add in card wont work, or vice versa. 

Sapphire Radeon RX 460 and it doesn't have a PCIe power connector. And when I connect the display to the GPU it just stays black but the computer however seems to be booting. When I keep the GPU in the PC and connect it to the motherboard it seems to be spinning and I get a display, but this is kind of pointless. 

3 minutes ago, Saltxx said:

Radeon RX 460 and it doesn't have a PCIe power connector. And when I connect the display to the GPU it just stays black but the computer however seems to be booting. When I keep the GPU in the PC and connect it to the motherboard it seems to be spinning and I get a display, but this is kind of pointless. 

What brand and model of card? id it an AMD reference design? ASUS, EVGA, Gigabyte, MSI,  Zotac, etc? Does seem a bit strange not to work on the latest bios, and while the PC is old, its not that old as not to support the card. My only other question is if that 300w power supply is enough. It probably is, but I'm just not sure. Happen to have a slightly larger one you could try?

rmurad38

i7 6700k | 32GB Kingston HyperX DDR4 | ASUS Z170I Pro Gaming | Zotac GTX1070 FE | Samsung 950 Pro 256MB M.2 SSD | SanDisk X400 1TB SSD | Noctua NH-U9S Cooler | EVGA Hadron Air

Just now, rmurad38 said:

What brand and model of card? id it an AMD reference design? ASUS, EVGA, Gigabyte, MSI,  Zotac, etc? Does seem a bit strange not to work on the latest bios, and while the PC is old, its not that old as not to support the card. My only other question is if that 300w power supply is enough. It probably is, but I'm just not sure. Happen to have a slightly larger one you could try?

https://www.bol.com/nl/p/radeon-rx-460-2gb-gddr5/9200000062933722/?country=BE#

Sapphire

I would assume the 300W is enough since the GPU's TDP is only 75 Watts? I'll look around and see if I have another PSU laying around. 

11 minutes ago, rmurad38 said:

I just connected a 550W power supply. And it has the same result :'( PC seems to booting but with a black display. 

Yeah, I dunno, the card does claim to draw <75W but at the same time, they suggest a 400W power supply. I did notice that under BIOS support it mentions UEFI. There is a chance you may not have a UEFI BIOS although maybe its not so much a requirement but that its supported. Only other thing, the card may be new but is it known good? is there another PC it could be tried in? DOA cards aren't all that common but It can happen.

rmurad38

1 minute ago, Saltxx said:

I just connected a 550W power supply. And it has the same result :'( PC seems to booting but with a black display. 

Hmm, out of ideas then, unless its IS a UEFI BIOS thing or the card is possibly DOA? Sorry wish I had more suggestions.

rmurad38

6 minutes ago, rmurad38 said:

Hmm, out of ideas then, unless its IS a UEFI BIOS thing or the card is possibly DOA? Sorry wish I had more suggestions.

- The cards works perfectly on my gaming PC.

:'(

I am crying xD

7 minutes ago, Saltxx said:

- The cards works perfectly on my gaming PC.

:'(

I am crying xD

Ok how about this? You say the PC appears to boot but has no video. Does it require a password to login or does it go straight to the desktop?(when using a working card) if it needs a password, start up the PC, wait a few minutes until you are certain it has booted. The screen will be black, click the mouse ONCE, then try typing your password and pressing enter. At that point Windows could potentially detect the card and you'll get a display. The lack of a UEFI BIOS (if the card requires it) could explain this behavior. Also you said you had an older nvidia card that worked? are the NVIDIA drivers still installed? perhaps remove them as well.

rmurad38

25 minutes ago, Saltxx said:

https://www.bol.com/nl/p/radeon-rx-460-2gb-gddr5/9200000062933722/?country=BE#

Sapphire

I would assume the 300W is enough since the GPU's TDP is only 75 Watts? I'll look around and see if I have another PSU laying around. 

Just saying, TDP isn't a direct measure of power draw, it's a measure of heat produced. 

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

4 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

Just saying, TDP isn't a direct measure of power draw, it's a measure of heat produced. 

True, but it's not like this card is going to draw more then 75W I assume? Tested it with a 550W PSU so it shouldn't matter :'(

Just now, Saltxx said:

True, but it's not like this card is going to draw more then 75W I assume? Tested it with a 550W PSU so it shouldn't matter :'(

It can and will draw over 80W depending on the circumstances. 

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

6 minutes ago, rmurad38 said:

Ok how about this? You say the PC appears to boot but has no video. Does it require a password to login or does it go straight to the desktop?(when using a working card) if it needs a password, start up the PC, wait a few minutes until you are certain it has booted. The screen will be black, click the mouse ONCE, then try typing your password and pressing enter. At that point Windows could potentially detect the card and you'll get a display. The lack of a UEFI BIOS (if the card requires it) could explain this behavior. Also you said you had an older nvidia card that worked? are the NVIDIA drivers still installed? perhaps remove them as well.

There are no display adapters on the PC installed since It was using integrated graphics, it has no password and automaticly goes to the desktop. The problem is I see nothing. It's like the monitor doesn't detect a connection. No post messages nothing. When I connect it to the Integrated however it works without a hassle. 

1 minute ago, TheRandomness said:

It can and will draw over 80W depending on the circumstances. 

I see, still it should work fine from the 550W PSU but it doesn't. Thanks for the technical correction ;)

Just now, Saltxx said:

There are no display adapters on the PC installed since It was using integrated graphics, it has no password and automaticly goes to the desktop. The problem is I see nothing. It's like the monitor doesn't detect a connection. No post messages nothing. When I connect it to the Integrated however it works without a hassle. 

I get that, we're on the same page, did you try what I suggested? logging into windows "blind"? It may need to do that to detect and install minimal support for the card..Something else I just thought of, what port are you using on the card for your monitor? the DVI, HDMI, or Display port? Without any sort of driver, some cards may not work on all the ports, usually just the DVI will work.

rmurad38

2 minutes ago, rmurad38 said:

I get that, we're on the same page, did you try what I suggested? logging into windows "blind"? It may need to do that to detect and install minimal support for the card..Something else I just thought of, what port are you using on the card for your monitor? the DVI, HDMI, or Display port? Without any sort of driver, some cards may not work on all the ports, usually just the DVI will work.

Regardless of that, the drivers don't start up before the operating system is enabled, so it should at least show some post messages. I'll try installing teamviewer and see if windows find the GPU. I'll be back in 5 mins!

Edit: And I am using a DVI cable for the GPU and the integrated graphics, it's the same cable and same monitor. So this works fine. 

Just now, Saltxx said:

Regardless of that, the drivers don't start up before the operating system is enabled, so it should at least show some post messages. I'll try installing teamviewer and see if windows find the GPU. I'll be back in 5 mins!

The lack of a UEFI BIOS, if that's the case, could very well explain no post display and the black video. but yes, teamviewer is a great idea. At least that way you will be able to see if the card is present in the device mgr.

rmurad38

9 minutes ago, rmurad38 said:

The lack of a UEFI BIOS, if that's the case, could very well explain no post display and the black video. but yes, teamviewer is a great idea. At least that way you will be able to see if the card is present in the device mgr.

It supports UEFI btw. I can enable either UEFI or Legacy, I've tried both of them though = Same result. 

When I boot the PC with the gpu connected it boots, and the fans spin, when I wait a while it boots. I connect through teamviewer and the device manager says this:

371237_313_31.png

347484_240_33.png

It's not detecting the GPU whatsoever.

Sight ... Running out of idea's 

• 3 years later...

I can answer to all your questions. 

*Rx 460* does not work on h61 motherboards. OEM or others like asus gigabyte or msi. It will work on z77 h81 and so on. But not on h61 motherboards. I habe confirmed myself on 3-4 motherboard sets. 

I hope this answers your question.

@Saltxx