Only 1 stick of RAM detected

rattacko123

So I upgraded my ram, but my ram sticks were not supported and f**ked up my X99 deluxe's BIOS as shown in here: 

So now my motherboard only recognises 1 measly 4GB stick of my old ram, I tried putting 2,3,4 ram sticks in the grey slots, and pressing memOK! but still only 1 ram stick detected. I tried a few other combinations with 2 ram sticks, but still only 1 detected, so I was just wondering if any of you guys know of any ways to solve this issue. The first slots on the left and right are taken up by my CPU cooler, so I only have 6 ram slots available

EDIT: I'm barely able to run google chrome, and the system memory and compression is using up my hard drives

4GB memory.PNG

hello!

is it me you're looking for?

ᴾC SᴾeCS ᴰoWᴺ ᴮEᴸoW

Spoiler

Desktop: X99-PC

CPU: i7 5820k

Mobo: X99 Deluxe

Cooler: Dark Rock Pro 3

RAM: 32GB DDR4
GPU: GTX 1080

Storage: 1TB 850 Evo, 1TB HDD, bunch of external hard drives
PSU: EVGA G2 750w

Peripherals: Logitech G502, Ducky One 711

Audio: Xonar U7, O2 amplifier (RIP), HD6XX

Monitors: 4k 24" Dell monitor, 1080p 24" Asus monitor

Laptop:

-Overkill Dell XPS

Fully maxed out early 2017 Dell XPS 15, GTX 1050 4GB, 7700HQ, 1TB nvme SSD, 32GB RAM, 4k display. 97Whr battery :x 
Dell was having a $600 off sale for the fully specced out model, so I decided to get it :P

-Crapbook

Fully specced out early 2013 Macbook "pro" with gt 650m and constant 105c temperature on the CPU (GPU is 80-90C) when doing anything intensive...

A 2013 laptop with a regular sized battery still has better battery life than a 2017 laptop with a massive battery! I think this is a testament to apple's ability at making laptops, or maybe how little CPU technology has improved even 4+ years later (at least, until the recent introduction of 15W 4 core CPUs). Anyway, I'm never going to get a 35W CPU laptop again unless battery technology becomes ~5x better than as it is in 2018.

Apple knows how to make proper consumer-grade laptops (they don't know how to make pro laptops though). I guess this mostly software power efficiency related, but getting a mac makes perfect sense if you want a portable/powerful laptop that can do anything you want it to with great battery life.

I can't really do anything on my computer, well I can do basic stuff like web browsing, but I can't play any games or any demanding stuff

hello!

ᴾC SᴾeCS ᴰoWᴺ ᴮEᴸoW

Spoiler

Laptop:

-Overkill Dell XPS

Fully maxed out early 2017 Dell XPS 15, GTX 1050 4GB, 7700HQ, 1TB nvme SSD, 32GB RAM, 4k display. 97Whr battery :x 
Dell was having a $600 off sale for the fully specced out model, so I decided to get it :P

-Crapbook

Fully specced out early 2013 Macbook "pro" with gt 650m and constant 105c temperature on the CPU (GPU is 80-90C) when doing anything intensive...

A 2013 laptop with a regular sized battery still has better battery life than a 2017 laptop with a massive battery! I think this is a testament to apple's ability at making laptops, or maybe how little CPU technology has improved even 4+ years later (at least, until the recent introduction of 15W 4 core CPUs). Anyway, I'm never going to get a 35W CPU laptop again unless battery technology becomes ~5x better than as it is in 2018.

Apple knows how to make proper consumer-grade laptops (they don't know how to make pro laptops though). I guess this mostly software power efficiency related, but getting a mac makes perfect sense if you want a portable/powerful laptop that can do anything you want it to with great battery life.

Use two sticks. Looking on the top of the cpu use the second slot left and right. 

12 minutes ago, Tsx said:

Use two sticks. Looking on the top of the cpu use the second slot left and right. 

Yeah I tried that, still doesn't work.

hello!

ᴾC SᴾeCS ᴰoWᴺ ᴮEᴸoW

Spoiler

Laptop:

-Overkill Dell XPS

-Crapbook

3 minutes ago, rattacko123 said:

Yeah I tried that, still doesn't work.

Look at the manual. Their are massive information you could try. First your ram ist not compatible. In this case the led should flash on the mobo. By press and hold memok the mobo makes it kind of compatible.

The xmp could be enabled and disabled by a switch on the bottom of the mobo.

How to set ram correct is explained. 

A switch for clearing bios and so on.

On 17/09/2016 at 4:58 PM, Tsx said:

Look at the manual. Their are massive information you could try. First your ram ist not compatible. In this case the led should flash on the mobo. By press and hold memok the mobo makes it kind of compatible.

The xmp could be enabled and disabled by a switch on the bottom of the mobo.

How to set ram correct is explained. 

A switch for clearing bios and so on.

I tried the memok button and clearing Bios, XMP is off.
I plugged 1 ram stick into all of the slots except for the first ones on the left and right (my CPU cooler is waay too big so it takes up 2 slots) and only 2 of them worked. When I tried putting another ram stick into the second working slot, it doesn't recognise it. I tried putting all of my ram into the computer and it still only recognises 1 stick of ram. I think my motherboard either messed up some kind of secondary bios (like for memory management or something like that) or it cooked itself. The X99 deluxe is known to have issues especially with power management and overclocked RAM/CPU, so it might be a power issue, but I doubt that since I don't see how my computer should be working if the motherboard fried itself. I don't see how the motherboard could just stop nearly all my dimm slots from working without some other major failure.

hello!

ᴾC SᴾeCS ᴰoWᴺ ᴮEᴸoW

Spoiler

Laptop:

-Overkill Dell XPS

-Crapbook

This is either a Motherboard or a CPU issue. I definitely have 1 or more working sticks of ram, so they should work in all of the motherboard slots, but i've only managed to get 1 stick of ram to work in 2 slots. The CPU and motherboard are responsible for the RAM so it must be one of those two. motherboard has multiple points of failure so that is the most likely. A CPU is very unlikely to stop working in this manner as it is usually a catastrophic failure instead of a minor one when it comes to things like silicon.

hello!

ᴾC SᴾeCS ᴰoWᴺ ᴮEᴸoW

Spoiler

Laptop:

-Overkill Dell XPS

-Crapbook

Good news! I have managed to get my warranty approved, so I'll need to send my motherboard and maybe my CPU as well back to the place I bought it from.
My only concern is that two of the screws are screwed on so tight that the motherboard standoff is attached to the motherboard... should I be concerned? I'm thinking of removing it using pliers, but that might make the situation worse. That damn repair shop I sent my computer to last year, they must have used an electric screwdriver to screw on the motherboard

hello!

ᴾC SᴾeCS ᴰoWᴺ ᴮEᴸoW

Spoiler

Laptop:

-Overkill Dell XPS

-Crapbook

48 minutes ago, rattacko123 said:

Good news! I have managed to get my warranty approved, so I'll need to send my motherboard and maybe my CPU as well back to the place I bought it from.
My only concern is that two of the screws are screwed on so tight that the motherboard standoff is attached to the motherboard... should I be concerned? I'm thinking of removing it using pliers, but that might make the situation worse. That damn repair shop I sent my computer to last year, they must have used an electric screwdriver to screw on the motherboard

Unless you're HULK, using pliers wouldn't be a bad idea. If it gets to them like that, if there is any potential issue that could reflect your wrong doing and not warranty... well, leaving spacers would only add to their cause. Take ou the standoffs, put the MB in an anti static bag.