Windows 10 - Questions

deleted_member_030719

I recently updated my PC from Windows 7 Home SP1 to Windows 10 Home. It fragmented the living fuck out of my hard drive (over 5 GBs of fragmented files that I had to run a special defragger to defrag it), nothing bad happened during install/whatever. Now, my computer takes double, almost triple, the time to boot up, and I have to pull the power cord to shut it down. I ran through multiple articles about people having the same problem and their solutions, I've tried a long list; disabling almost everything on boot-up, uninstalling useless junk that I no longer run, changing power options, etc.

I don't want to revert because Windows 10 is using less resources and my computer has very little. I am almost scared that it'll just cause more problems because Windows is becoming a mindfuck with problems at this point. 

TL;DR:

• Upgraded from Win 7 to Win 10
  • Win 10 takes nearly triple the time to boot
  • I have to pull the power cord to shut it down
  • Most of my hard drive became fragmented after updating to Win 10

I am also having this weird program window sometimes pop-up on the left side of my screen, it shows up for a few nanoseconds then disappears. It's not a virus or anything similar, but I am curious about what it is. It does not show up in Task Manager, even if I catch it.

Just now, RGProductions said:

Try a fresh install. It seems pretty screwed to me.

I can't exactly do that... I have a lot of security on this big bitch and I have no idea how to re-set it up because I did it when I was like 12... I also have a LOT of data of this hard drive that I can't migrate to another one because they're all too small, even if I compressed it all and sent it to multiple data hosting sites, it would take me weeks to upload and then download again. 

9 minutes ago, Jed M said:

I can't exactly do that... I have a lot of security on this big bitch and I have no idea how to re-set it up because I did it when I was like 12... I also have a LOT of data of this hard drive that I can't migrate to another one because they're all too small, even if I compressed it all and sent it to multiple data hosting sites, it would take me weeks to upload and then download again. 

windows 10 is able to reinstall while keeping all files intact just removing installed files and settings.

what security do you have? We can probably help with setting it back up.

I do have to ask is the "security" really required? BitLocker and a good anti malware solution is more than enough for most users.

if your security was set up a number of years a go it is probably out of date.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

3 minutes ago, vorticalbox said:

what security do you have? We can probably help with setting it back up.

I do have to ask is the "security" really required? BitLocker and a good anti malware solution is more than enough for most users.

if your security was set up a number of years a go it is probably out of date.

It was setup to prevent local and remote connections, USB ports are set to format USB drivers into non-usable drives to prevent people from getting into my computer, prevention of bypassing Windows login screen and getting access to command prompt and such, etc. It is the type of security where professionals cannot get into it, I have hired a few to test it for me.

14 minutes ago, Jed M said:

It was setup to prevent local and remote connections, USB ports are set to format USB drivers into non-usable drives to prevent people from getting into my computer, prevention of bypassing Windows login screen and getting access to command prompt and such, etc. It is the type of security where professionals cannot get into it, I have hired a few to test it for me.

seems unnecessary  to me. I'm sure you know what software is running on your computer why not take note of it? Is that sort of security really needed? just encrypting the drive would stop anyone getting your data regardless of what they booted from a USB and so on.

unless you have a need to keep a computer running 24/7 when you're not there just shut it down.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´