Is an upgrade worth it?

divito

Hey there everyone,

I built my current PC in February of 2014 as a means to upgrade from 7 years of one PC. Before that 7-year span, I've generally maintained a 2-year upgrade cycle and would like to return to that.

Specs

Case: BitFenix Prodigy Arctic White 
Motherboard: MSI H81I
CPU: Intel i5-4670
Power Supply: Silverstone SS-ST45SF 450W
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws 8GB 1600MHz 
Graphics Card: EVGA nVidia 760 FTW Dual 4GB
Hard Drive: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB / Seagate Barracuda 3TB / Samsung HD103UJ 1TB
Monitors: 24" BenQ XL2430T / 22" Samsung 2233RZ / 22" Samsung 2233SW / 40" Samsung TV 

Use Case

This machine for me is as an all-around, versatile appliance. I don't play as many games as I used to when I was younger, but still dabble; most common games I play include CS:GO, Hearthstone, SC2, and LoL. I run 4 screens off the GPU, which serves as an entertainment and productivity benefit, through videos, FTP, Photoshop, programming, etc... This computer also serves up my TV and movie collection to my PS4, tablets, and other computers in the house. The potential of building a new PC will allow me to repurpose this one into a NAS.

With the above, I obviously can't run all games at 1080 and max settings. And while I am pretty capable at slowing down any PC, I wouldn't say that's a huge issue in day-to-day activity.

Other Bits

Outside of my use case, the only other thing of note is that I wouldn't plan on overclocking; while I used to overclock in the past, I'm "old" now and too impatient to really care about it at this point. It's one of the reasons I didn't choose a K variant when building this one, that and the cost-savings. 

If I were to build something new, the only really decided part would be that it would go into a Node 202 or a Phenom M (though it's ridiculously priced). And as much as it'd be nice to save money not buying a new SSD, keeping under the 250GB has been trying at times. And, for a new build, I'd want to look into the $700-1000CAD range. Parts purchased most likely from Canada Computers unless good deals are to be had.

So, as per the topic of this thread, do you think it's worth it for me to upgrade? 

(pic below was my early office construction)

11907150_10153430786138463_3982473004822045775_o.jpg

I would upgrade the GPU obviously, but the i5 is fine. 

Please quote our replys so we get a notification and can reply easily. Never cheap out on a PSU, or I will come to watch the fireworks. 

PSU Tier List

My specs

Spoiler

PC:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K @4.8GHz
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S 
Motherboard:  ASUS Maximus VIII Hero 
GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme 1070 @ 2114Mhz
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB
Case: Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 
Power Supply: EVGA 750W G2

Peripherals 

Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Browns
Mouse: Logitech G502 
Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Revolver 

Monitor: U2713M @ 75Hz

maybe ram to 16gb :) 

ASUS Maximus VII Hero | i7 4790K OC 4.8GHZ | 4x8GB 2400MHz MSI GTX 1070 alphacool eiswolf gpx pro
Samsung 850 EVO 520GB + Corsair 525gb + 275gb SSD  2TB Seagate Barracuda | 8TB Seagate Archive

Cooler Master HAF-X 942 | EVGA Supernova 1000W 80+ Platinum | Custom watercooling loop (gpu+cpu)

360mm+180mm rad and 10 fans | Swiftech D5 mcp655-B

Overall good build. You can upgrade to 16GB memory and get the GTX 1060.

Shouldnt cost you more than 500 CAD tbh.

Maybe get a high quality PSU like the Corsair RM550x for like 100 CAD.

Hey Guys,

I have a pre-built Lenovo C360 it is an All-In-One PC . I want to upgrade the graphics card and the ram I am pretty sure that I can upgrade the RAM to 8 GB. I am pllaning to get a ram stick. I am not sure if I can hook up an external GPU. Is it possibe to do it without a thunderbolt port?

Also please give me some suggestions for a 4 GB SODIMM DDR3 RAM. My currently installed ram is 1600mhz so please give me the same speed for the new ram