Your opinions on a new gaming rig I plan to buy

Hey guys,

sooo... I wanted to get a new pc, but dont know that many people that know something about pc's. So I decided to ask you guys instead:

Since my laptop slowly runs out of power for new games to work, I decided to look for a new pc. I looked around on amazon, since this is the only website that has my creditinformation, and found these components to match my gaming expectations. Here is the link to my amazon wishlist (Components are listed below too): https://www.amazon.de/registry/wishlist/2OUAKXLZ5CMMM/ref=cm_sw_r_tw_ws_x_k7w2xb79PCCM4 

CPU: i5 6600 (non K, includes cooler)

Mainboard: Asus B150 Plus

Memory: HyperX Fury 16gb DDR4 2133 MHz

GPU: ASUS Dual Geforce GTX1060-O6G

Storage: 1TB Seagate HDD (nothing special here)

Power Supply: Thermaltake Munich 430 W

Case: Thermaltake Commander MS-I Snow Edition

As this would be my first selfbuild pc, I'm not 100% sure if the components will work as I imagine them to. Maybe some of you guys can have a quick look and tell me if something is completly wrong.

For budget I wanted to stay around 850€ without monitor, mouse and keyboard. I already have those.

I mainly want to use it for gaming, maybe some times rendering a video for youtube, or livestreaming on twitch. Overclocking is not planned. The only really cpu intensive game I own is Cities: Skylines, which should work fine on the i5?

Other games I play are Arma 3, Battlefield 3, Anno 2070, and a few less hardware hungry games. Ah, almost forgot to mention, I play on a 1080p Monitor, and have not planned to upgrade to any higher resolution soon. I would rather have a second Monitor with, again, 1080p. So a GTX 1060 should do the job. If you dont think so, let me know.

Some specific questions that I have:

1. Do you think, a 430W power supply is enough to handle all the components?

2. Is DDR4 fine, or should I get DDR3 since it's a little cheaper?

3. How much of an improvement will this setup be to my old Laptop with an i7 3630QM and a GTX 660M (aproximatly)? In some benchmarks, the old Laptop i7 had better results than an i5 6600.

Any kind of help is appreciated!

If there is any misspelling, I am sorry, english is not my first language. :D

Best regards

Sailer

10 minutes ago, Sailer said:

Hey guys,

sooo... I wanted to get a new pc, but dont know that many people that know something about pc's. So I decided to ask you guys instead:

Since my laptop slowly runs out of power for new games to work, I decided to look for a new pc. I looked around on amazon, since this is the only website that has my creditinformation, and found these components to match my gaming expectations. Here is the link to my amazon wishlist (Components are listed below too): https://www.amazon.de/registry/wishlist/2OUAKXLZ5CMMM/ref=cm_sw_r_tw_ws_x_k7w2xb79PCCM4 

CPU: i5 6600 (non K, includes cooler)

Mainboard: Asus B150 Plus

Memory: HyperX Fury 16gb DDR4 2133 MHz

GPU: ASUS Dual Geforce GTX1060-O6G

Storage: 1TB Seagate HDD (nothing special here)

Power Supply: Thermaltake Munich 430 W

Case: Thermaltake Commander MS-I Snow Edition

As this would be my first selfbuild pc, I'm not 100% sure if the components will work as I imagine them to. Maybe some of you guys can have a quick look and tell me if something is completly wrong.

For budget I wanted to stay around 850€ without monitor, mouse and keyboard. I already have those.

I mainly want to use it for gaming, maybe some times rendering a video for youtube, or livestreaming on twitch. Overclocking is not planned. The only really cpu intensive game I own is Cities: Skylines, which should work fine on the i5?

Other games I play are Arma 3, Battlefield 3, Anno 2070, and a few less hardware hungry games. Ah, almost forgot to mention, I play on a 1080p Monitor, and have not planned to upgrade to any higher resolution soon. I would rather have a second Monitor with, again, 1080p. So a GTX 1060 should do the job. If you dont think so, let me know.

Some specific questions that I have:

1. Do you think, a 430W power supply is enough to handle all the components?

2. Is DDR4 fine, or should I get DDR3 since it's a little cheaper?

3. How much of an improvement will this setup be to my old Laptop with an i7 3630QM and a GTX 660M (aproximatly)? In some benchmarks, the old Laptop i7 had better results than an i5 6600.

Any kind of help is appreciated!

If there is any misspelling, I am sorry, english is not my first language. :D

Best regards

Sailer

You could go with a higher wattage PSU, 430W is barely enough for this PC and definitely won't be enough for another 1060 or other expansions. I would also recommend getting a CPU cooler but reference is completely fine. You could go with 8gb of RAM to save a bit of money. 16gb isn't that necessary. You could also get a cheap SSD if you care about load times. Everything else looks good, it's a great start. I hope I helped and good luck building! :)

10 minutes ago, Chickenpuffball said:

You could go with a higher wattage PSU, 430W is barely enough for this PC and definitely won't be enough for another 1060 or other expansions.

430W actually will be fine, a system with a high end i7 and a 1060 pulls 236 watts: http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/73040-nvidia-gtx-1060-6gb-review-19.html 

So, this leaves decent headroom. It's the unit that worries me, this is the first time I hear of such PSU unit, better be safe and check here:

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

2 minutes ago, Castdeath97 said:

430W actually will be fine, a system with a high end i7 and a 1060 pulls 236 watts: http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/73040-nvidia-gtx-1060-6gb-review-19.html 

So, this leaves decent headroom. It's the unit that worries me, this is the first time I hear of such PSU unit, better be safe and check here:

I meant for future expansion and plus, it's best to have 2x the recommended wattage for your PC in your PSU. But I would recommend getting a major PSU name brand for PSUs (EVGA, Corsair etc).

1 minute ago, Chickenpuffball said:

I meant for future expansion and plus, it's best to have 2x the recommended wattage for your PC in your PSU. But I would recommend getting a major PSU name brand for PSUs (EVGA, Corsair etc).

It's almost twice! Somewhere around 60-55%, should be fine with a decent unit.

Regardless he better stay away from that unit, it has TR2 in its model number, the 430W TR2 is not great.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

Thanks for your replies! So as I read this, a 400W PSU should be fine, unless I want to upgrade any time soon. Sadly the 1060 has no SLI capabilites... so I think I won't upgrade in the next years. But I can switch to another brand like be quiet!. The price goes up by 5€ but I would take that for a better quality PSU. This one seems to fit: https://www.amazon.de/quiet-BN240-Netzteil-System-schwarz/dp/B018ILWJTM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8

It's the be quiet! BN240 System Power 8 (or smth.. those amazon titles are not always correct)

2 hours ago, Chickenpuffball said:

2 hours ago, Castdeath97 said:

It's almost twice! Somewhere around 60-55%, should be fine with a decent unit.

Regardless he better stay away from that unit, it has TR2 in its model number, the 430W TR2 is not great.

I guess I have to quote you first to see my reply :D dang it.

Its one post above this one 

Better black/white build. Look the parts up on Amazon.de

PCPartPicker part list

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor  (€216.50) 

^I'd save here by getting the i5-6500, cheaper but only slightly slower.
Motherboard: Asus H170-PRO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  (€90.62 @ Amazon Deutschland) 

^This over the B150 for €2 more
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  (€73.18 @ Amazon Deutschland) 

^White sticks to match your build
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (€54.35) 

^Make sure you get the WD10EZEX model, the seagate one you have is fine too
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 1060 6GB Dual Video Card  (€308.90 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
Case: Cooler Master MasterBox 5 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case  (€68.55 @ Amazon Deutschland) 

^More expensive white case it's but worth the premium
Power Supply: Corsair CXM 450W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  (€51.90) 

^Better PSU than the one you got, higher tier and modular cables
Total: €864.00

• Quote people's post else they won't know you replied.

Crapware | 4670k | Hyper212X | GSkill RipjawsX 16GB | Sapphire R9 280x VaporX | 840EVO 120GB | 1TB BLACK + BLUE

Logitech G102 | Corsair K70 MX Brown | HyperX Cloud

6 minutes ago, antisleep said:

Better black/white build. Look the parts up on Amazon.de

PCPartPicker part list

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor  (€216.50) 

^I'd save here by getting the i5-6500, cheaper but only slightly slower.
Motherboard: Asus H170-PRO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  (€90.62 @ Amazon Deutschland) 

^This over the B150 for €2 more
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  (€73.18 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (€54.35) 

^Make sure you get the WD10EZEX model, the seagate one you have is fine too
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 1060 6GB Dual Video Card  (€308.90 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
Case: Cooler Master MasterBox 5 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case  (€68.55 @ Amazon Deutschland) 

^More expensive white case it's but worth the premium
Power Supply: Corsair CXM 450W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  (€51.90) 

^Better PSU than the one you got, higher tier and modular cables
Total: €864.00

Thanks for your reply! Getting the better motherboard and psu is a good idea! With the Memory: In the intel ARK it says the i5 6600 supports ddr4 only at  DDR4-1866/2133, DDR3L-1333/1600 @ 1.35V (http://ark.intel.com/de/products/88188/Intel-Core-i5-6600-Processor-6M-Cache-up-to-3_90-GHz) What's with that?

2 hours ago, Sailer said:

Thanks for your replies! So as I read this, a 400W PSU should be fine, unless I want to upgrade any time soon. Sadly the 1060 has no SLI capabilites... so I think I won't upgrade in the next years. But I can switch to another brand like be quiet!. The price goes up by 5€ but I would take that for a better quality PSU. This one seems to fit: https://www.amazon.de/quiet-BN240-Netzteil-System-schwarz/dp/B018ILWJTM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8

It's the be quiet! BN240 System Power 8 (or smth.. those amazon titles are not always correct)

It's generally better to get big name brands for PSUs, this is the same price as yours: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00EON40CS/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1473881708&sr=8-2&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=power+supply&dpPl=1&dpID=51Zd5PuGxSL&ref=plSrch.

21 minutes ago, Sailer said:

Thanks for your reply! Getting the better motherboard and psu is a good idea! With the Memory: In the intel ARK it says the i5 6600 supports ddr4 only at  DDR4-1866/2133, DDR3L-1333/1600 @ 1.35V (http://ark.intel.com/de/products/88188/Intel-Core-i5-6600-Processor-6M-Cache-up-to-3_90-GHz) What's with that?

The 2400 mhz memory in my build is fine, it will be downclocked to 2133mhz by the mobo but not a big deal. They're also white sticks and are significantly cheaper than the kingston that you got.

On the intel site, I think the numbers are the minimum ram frequencies supported. Don't quote me on that.

Crapware | 4670k | Hyper212X | GSkill RipjawsX 16GB | Sapphire R9 280x VaporX | 840EVO 120GB | 1TB BLACK + BLUE

7 minutes ago, Chickenpuffball said:

It's generally better to get big name brands for PSUs

Not really. EVGA/corsair/cooler master have some shit units.

>Never trust a brand. Always review the model.

33 minutes ago, antisleep said:

The 2400 mhz memory in my build is fine, it will be downclocked to 2133mhz by the mobo but not a big deal. They're also white sticks and are significantly cheaper than the kingston that you got.

On the intel site, I think the numbers are the minimum ram frequencies supported. Don't quote me on that.

Awesome man! Thanks for your help. Yeah the memory really looks better that way. Thanks! :) 

29 minutes ago, antisleep said:

Not really. EVGA/corsair/cooler master have some shit units.

>Never trust a brand. Always review the model.

The 'Munich' model had like 300+ ratings, and it was at about 4.5 out of 5 stars. So maybe this will work too. I'll just get one that isn't the very cheapest and has some reviews from other people. Thanks again!

7 minutes ago, Sailer said:

Awesome man! Thanks for your help. Yeah the memory really looks better that way. Thanks! :) 

The 'Munich' model had like 300+ ratings, and it was at about 4.5 out of 5 stars. So maybe this will work too. I'll just get one that isn't the very cheapest and has some reviews from other people. Thanks again!

Despite the 300+ ratings, it's still a low tier PSU. It's even got the ketchup and mustard colored cables. :/

I highly urge you to get the Corsair CX450M for only €8 more:

https://www.amazon.de/Corsair-CP-EU-CXM-black/dp/B019NWTCEA/r

4 minutes ago, antisleep said:

Despite the 300+ ratings, it's still a low tier PSU. It's even got the ketchup and mustard colored cables. :/

I highly urge you to get the Corsair CX450M for only €8 more:

https://www.amazon.de/Corsair-CP-EU-CXM-black/dp/B019NWTCEA/r

Yeah I just noticed it too. The coloured cables would not fit black and white. Plus on this one I can spare some cables that I will probably not need. The case you recommended looks good, but I cant buy it from amazon, since it's from a third party seller. I prefer to buy directly from them, so I can easily return it if something is not as it is supposed to be. By the way, the fan of the PSU is meant to face upwards, is it?

11 minutes ago, Sailer said:

Yeah I just noticed it too. The coloured cables would not fit black and white. Plus on this one I can spare some cables that I will probably not need. The case you recommended looks good, but I cant buy it from amazon, since it's from a third party seller. I prefer to buy directly from them, so I can easily return it if something is not as it is supposed to be. By the way, the fan of the PSU is meant to face upwards, is it?

Facing down towards the case vent.

Is Mindfactory not option? http://www.mindfactory.de/product_info.php/Cooler-Master-MasterBox-5-mit-Sichtfenster-Midi-Tower-ohne-Netzteil-weis_1113465.html

What about this case? https://www.amazon.de/AeroCool-Aero-500-Window-Case-PC/dp/B017WL4UYG or similar Aerocool Aero 800/Aero 1000 variants.

13 minutes ago, antisleep said:

Facing down towards the case vent.

What about this case? https://www.amazon.de/AeroCool-Aero-500-Window-Case-PC/dp/B017WL4UYG

Or similar Aerocool Aero 800/Aero 1000 variants.

the aero cool 500 has like 4 months shipping time :/ 

tbh this one looks kinda cool: https://www.amazon.de/Nzxt-CA-PH240-W1-PC-Gehäuse/dp/B00K98KQQQ

I guess it's personal prefernce, which one to choose. But I'll try to stick to brands and products with better reviews.

9 hours ago, Sailer said:

tbh this one looks kinda cool: https://www.amazon.de/Nzxt-CA-PH240-W1-PC-Gehäuse/dp/B00K98KQQQ

I guess it's personal prefernce, which one to choose. But I'll try to stick to brands and products with better reviews.

Pro tip: Don't base your judgement on the reviews from the store. The rating could be based on a lot of factors like how the shipping was handled, parts are missing, damaged/doa, etc.

Look up the reviews of the product from tech sites and on youtube.

The aero 500 is available on Caseking for just €45: https://www.caseking.de/aerocool-aero-500-midi-tower-weiss-window-gesi-231.html

Note that with the case, it has the least chance of arriving with DOA so don't worry too much about having to return it.

Sorry if I'm coming off as assertive but it's cuz that thermaltake case looks terrible. It's too expensive for something that's old and the internal layouts are outdated. There's a good chance you'd regret buying it when it arrives.

2 hours ago, antisleep said:

Pro tip: Don't base your judgement on the reviews from the store. The rating could be based on a lot of factors like how the shipping was handled, parts are missing, damaged/doa, etc.

The aero 500 is available on Caseking for just €45: https://www.caseking.de/aerocool-aero-500-midi-tower-weiss-window-gesi-231.html

Note that with the case, it has the least chance of arriving with DOA so don't worry too much about having to return it.

Sorry if I'm coming off as assertive but it's cuz that thermaltake case looks terrible. It's too expensive for something that's old and the internal layouts are outdated. There's a good chance you'd regret buying it when it arrives.

I don't plan on getting that thermaltake case anymore. Since I know there are others, like the aerocool you suggested :D Thanks for the link. I will try to but it there. You really like that case do you? :P But I get it. It looks sleek, not too prominent like those wave shaped ones, and is really affordable. But, maybe you can tell me what you think about those two: https://www.amazon.de/dp/B00JKW3FXI/

https://www.amazon.de/dp/B017NS2RHA/

the second one looks somewhat like the aerocool. I like it. The first one is just extremly cheap, and would save me a lot of money, compared to other good cases on amazon. Not counting the one you linked. The aerocool is on top of my list now :)

May I ask what case you currently use?

Ah yeah, for the Phantom 240, I basically watched every video on the first page of the search results. I really don't know wether it's an option. It looks cool, but almost costs double the amount, than the areocool, and has less features, like the fan control

On 15.9.2016 at 8:28 AM, antisleep said:

I just noticed, as I made the order, that I will need an OS too. Can I somehow use my old OS from my laptop? Or do I have to buy a new OS?

23 hours ago, Sailer said:

I just noticed, as I made the order, that I will need an OS too. Can I somehow use my old OS from my laptop? Or do I have to buy a new OS?

I'm not so sure about transferring your OS from laptop to your new pc.

the laptop has a OEM Product Key which should be registered to the motherboard of your laptop; therefore, you will most likely not be able to use your Windows on the new build

You can get cheap Windows 10 keys from Kinguin.net / How To

On 17.9.2016 at 11:19 AM, antisleep said:

I'm not so sure about transferring your OS from laptop to your new pc.

You can get cheap Windows 10 keys from Kinguin.net / How To

Are they the same as those 25€ keys on amazon? Are they actually usable and legal? It seems so weird since keys on the microsoft website cost up to 140 something €.