Windows 10 under 30$/free?

ColinW

Hey,

I was wondering if anyone could tell me where I could get windows 10 for under 30$ or free? I'm on a tight budget. Thanks!

g2a, reddit. kinguin

if you're on a college or school try asking if they have windows 10 education. depending on where you live it can be distributed online, i got mine for free this way. its better than windows 10 pro, and you have an actual license.

12 minutes ago, ColinW said:

Hey,

I was wondering if anyone could tell me where I could get windows 10 for under 30$ or free? I'm on a tight budget. Thanks!

I'd avoid grey market sites man

You can apparently just download and install windows 10, you just get the usual non activated restrictions

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

6 hours ago, Streetguru said:

You can apparently just download and install windows 10, you just get the usual non activated restrictions

Yeah, I wouldn't usually buy from a sketchy website. But the download/install is the link that tyrosine sent above right?

9 minutes ago, ColinW said:

Yeah, I wouldn't usually buy from a sketchy website. But the download/install is the link that tyrosine sent above right?

Yup, just need a USB stick, there's an extended guide somewhere

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

21 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Yup, just need a USB stick, there's an extended guide somewhere

Alright thanks 

Actually, the W10 free upgrade is still available from Microsoft (from Win 7, 8 or 8.1).

Of course, it's not for everyone, but if you need to use any assistive tech to help you get the most out of your usage of your PC, be it bespoke software, or just the need to use the magnifier and/or larger icons etc. then all you need to do is self-certify, and Microsoft will give you a free license key for Windows 10 (whilst stocks last I guess, as there is not cut-off date set as yet). Microsoft says:

"We are not restricting the free upgrade offer to specific assistive technologies. If you use assistive technology on Windows, you are eligible for the free upgrade offer"

Here is the link:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/accessibility/windows10upgrade?tduid=(3d0a9b914f4e1448707e8ed162c69bb7)(266696)(1503186)(skim33330X911647Xa68e5caea18d748c47809d1b2ce9d04b

On 13/9/2016 at 11:45 PM, Streetguru said:

As far as I know, it only gnaws at your desktop saying "oh, you should activate me" and does not allow you to change your desktop wallpaper. Those are restrictions? I don't see the point of paying at least 30$ for not seeing the notice and have a nice wallpaper. Maybe it'll keep getting worse, as it happened with windows 7, I dunno...

1 minute ago, apple innovation said:

I recommend using OS X instead as you can get it for free through some subreddits and it doesn't get viruses 

I should add that it is not designed for non Apple hardware so you may encounter issues with it

On 9/13/2016 at 5:34 PM, dexxterlab97 said:

g2a, reddit. kinguin

No, those violate Microsoft's terms of service:

Software License 8. Software License. Unless accompanied by a separate Microsoft license agreement (for example, if you are using a Microsoft application that is included with and a part of Windows, then the Windows Software License Terms govern such software), and except as provided in section 14(b)(i) below for applications available through the Office Store, the Windows Store or the Xbox Store, any software provided by us to you as part of the Services is subject to these Terms.

a. If you comply with these Terms, we grant you the right to install and use one copy of the software per device on a worldwide basis for use by only one person at a time as part of your use of the Services. The software or website that is part of the Services may include third-party code. Any third-party scripts or code, linked to or referenced from the software or website, are licensed to you by the third parties that own such code, not by Microsoft. Notices, if any, for the third-party code are included for your information only.

b. The software is licensed, not sold, and Microsoft reserves all rights to the software not expressly granted by Microsoft, whether by implication, estoppel, or otherwise. This license does not give you any right to, and you may not:

i. circumvent or bypass any technological protection measures in or relating to the software or Services;

iv. publish, copy, rent, lease, sell, export, import, distribute, or lend the software or the Services, unless Microsoft expressly authorizes you to do so;

v. transfer the software, any software licenses, or any rights to access or use the Services;

45 minutes ago, apple innovation said:

I recommend using OS X instead as you can get it for free through some subreddits and it doesn't get viruses 

Search for finspy. Some non microsoft related things have come with backdoors. For example some suppliers install backdoors into routers that they then sell to customers. Doesnt matter what OS you use or even a network printer there is a virus for it. It depends on who you get it from and if you are important enough that someone wants to either spy on you or control all your computers.

1 hour ago, apple innovation said:

Does it come with a jack port?

*doesn't get viruses* 

*get it for free*

2 hours ago, elvilelvo said:

As far as I know, it only gnaws at your desktop saying "oh, you should activate me" and does not allow you to change your desktop wallpaper. Those are restrictions? I don't see the point of paying at least 30$ for not seeing the notice and have a nice wallpaper. Maybe it'll keep getting worse, as it happened with windows 7, I dunno...

That should be the extent of it, since they still want people on windows for their stock value and market saturation, Otherwise I'd just drop the money for a retail key to avoid any issues with windows 10 activation

Of course personally, I'll be on windows 7 until the end of time, unless I really need to use 10 for Zen and other future CPUs for full functionality

Spoiler