How do i know if my ps is dead?

uriv1999

Hi, i've recently bougth a 1060 and today i was playing CS:GO and suddenly my pc shutted down and i can´t turn it on, somebody know how to recognise if my power supply is dead or if is it a different problem. My power supply is 600w 

If it doesn't turn on when it cooled down even after holding the power button for few secs and it totally dead it's most likely a PSU. If it didn't make any noise, nothing exploding or wooshing, no smoke etc (so not likely a capacitor) it a high chance of just the internal fuse giving up.

You can try to short it, and see if it turns on (fans spin), disconect it from everything and take it out of the PC Case, Locate the Green and Black cables on the 24 pin connector (position 16 and 17), and short them with a papper clip or something. If the fans spin, most likely it's still alive. If you have a voltimeter you can test if the voltages on each cable are OK.

21 minutes ago, uriv1999 said:

Hi, i've recently bougth a 1060 and today i was playing CS:GO and suddenly my pc shutted down and i can´t turn it on, somebody know how to recognise if my power supply is dead or if is it a different problem. My power supply is 600w 

What 600W PSU? Not all are created equal.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

42 minutes ago, Visordo said:

You can try to short it, and see if it turns on (fans spin), disconect it from everything and take it out of the PC Case, Locate the Green and Black cables on the 24 pin connector (position 16 and 17), and short them with a papper clip or something. If the fans spin, most likely it's still alive. If you have a voltimeter you can test if the voltages on each cable are OK.

I've tested it with a voltímeter and it marks 5 volts, this mean it's still working right?

57 minutes ago, Jorgen297 said:

try unplugging it, hold the power button for 10 seconds, then press the power button 10 times to clear the capacitor voltages, then plug it back in and try, has worked for me

It hasn't worked for me :(

13 hours ago, uriv1999 said:

I've tested it with a voltímeter and it marks 5 volts, this mean it's still working right?

Depends on the cable you are testing, there are some with 12v 3.3v 5v. But you were able to get some voltages out of it. seems to be working (but we don't know yet if it can hadle the load of the system).

If you don't have another Power Supply to try with. I would suggest to try with the bare minimum (Power Supply + processor + motherboard) see if it turns on and beeps (because is lacking memory) and add components one by one until it no longer turns on. Leave the Graphics Card as the last component to add.

If it fails the bare minimum test it could be the Motherboard that failed. But I would suggest that before buying anything try to test with a known good Power Supply, from a friend, family or a computer tech. If it fails with a good power supply, then most likely the motherboard is dead.