OverClocking i3 6100

ive heard reports of this online and am wondering if its better to get the i3 and overclock it as opposed to getting the i5 6500 and running stock , if so what would i need to get to acheive this 

You can't overclock a non-unlocked processor. It's mind blowing, but it ain't gonna work son.

i5-8600K -  Asus Strix Z370E - Asus GTX 1060 Strix - EVGA 650W P2 - Samsung 970 Pro 500GB - G.Skill TridentZ 16GB

You can't oc non K cpu

6 minutes ago, Euan_enterprise said:

ive heard reports of this online and am wondering if its better to get the i3 and overclock it as opposed to getting the i5 6500 and running stock , if so what would i need to get to acheive this 

You can overclock it. Not as much as an unlocked chip but you can. Not sure if you can get too 6500 levels, but all you need is a motherboard that supports it. These noobs don't know what they are talking about. Look up overclocking non k skylake chips. You'll need an Asrock board. Some other manufacturers support it, but Asrock really fights intel haha http://www.pcgamer.com/asrock-gets-around-non-k-skylake-overclocking-limits-again/

PRetty sure this was force fixed by Intel to the motherboard manufactures... 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

14 minutes ago, I_IHaveNoLife_l said:

You can't overclock a non-unlocked processor. It's mind blowing, but it ain't gonna work son.

1 minute ago, legacy99 said:

14 minutes ago, dexxterlab97 said:

You can't oc non K cpu

There is something called BCLK

base clock enerally runs at 100 mhz

multiplier at 37. bring up the base clock to 105 mhz (BCLK * MULTIPLIER. cant change the multiplier, change the BCLK) and it is overclocked to ~3.9 GHZ

Rigs I've Built

The Striker i5 4590 @ 3.7 ||  MSI GTX 980 Armor X2 || Corsair RMX 750 || Team Elite Plus 8 GB || Define S || MSI Z97S SLI Krait

The Office PC i3 4160 @ 3.6 || Intel 4600 || EVGA 500B || G.Skill 8 GB || Cooler Master N200 || ASRock H97M Pro4

The Friend PC G3258 @ 4.3 || Sapphire R9 280X Tri-X || EVGA 600B || 8 GB Dell Ram || Cooler Master N200 || ASRock H97M- iTX/ac

The Mom Gaming PC A10-7890K @ 4.4 || iGPU + ASUS R7 250 ||  8 GB Klevv DDR3-2800 Mhz

50 minutes ago, I_IHaveNoLife_l said:

49 minutes ago, dexxterlab97 said:

You can't oc non K cpu

37 minutes ago, legacy99 said:

While I don't recommend actually overclocking locked Skylake CPUs, you CAN do it. You need one of a few specific mobos as well as the correct Bios version (or one super high-end board with microcode selection function) in order to do it, but it IS doable.

Again, I don't recommend actually doing it. Way too many downsides to it. But it is still a thing, so let's not spread false information.

48 minutes ago, nicdepro said:

You'll need an Asrock board. Some other manufacturers support it, but Asrock really fights intel haha http://www.pcgamer.com/asrock-gets-around-non-k-skylake-overclocking-limits-again/

Asrock was just the first to release OCable Bios, but outside of that, they are no different than any other manufacturer.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

Yes, you can. my i3-6100 is running 4.5ghz @ 1.35v (121mhz FSB) totally stable and cool. Enabling the overclock disabled thermal protection, core temp reporting, AVX and iGPU as well as Cstates and also has to run a constant voltage. This increased my system idle draw from 32w to 42w and under load from 180w to 198w

You need to have the right motherboard so research CAREFULLY before purchase. generally an AsRock Hyper board or basically any Z170 (with the right BIOS update) can do it.

I am using the Gigabyte GA-Z170n-WIFI Rev1 with BIOS F7c (BIOS from http://overclocking.guide/intel-skylake-non-k-overclocking-bios-list/)

My i3 @ 4.5ghz is scoreing higher in firestrike than my i5-4690 was scoring. I have not tried to push the chip further, my buddy has reached 4.8ghz on his i3 however his board is only able to push 1.4v and he has a bad CPU cooler so he cant really go higher.

Sim Rig:  Valve Index - Acer XV273KP - 5950x - GTX 2080ti - B550 Master - 32 GB ddr4 @ 3800c14 - DG-85 - HX1200 - 360mm AIO

Long Live VR. Pancake gaming is dead.