Laptop CPU upgrade help.

So I not so recently came across an i7-3520m, its a long story, but to make it short I found it in an old laptop on the side of the road. Its still in perfect condition, as well as the 6GB of ram i found in it. I put the CPU into my Samsung np300e5c-a0cus, the socket matched, and it ran well for a bit. but eventually the computer started crashing over about every 30 minutes. With help from the great guys over at Samsung tech support I figured out it was the mobo in my laptop. It was not rated to handle the CPU. I tried to decrease the clock speed and it gave me a few extra minutes of use before a crash, though the crashes still persisted. I refuse to give up though, and came here wondering if there was any way I could get it to work. I was given to specifics as to why the CPU wouldn't work, though at this point I have narrowed it down to a thermal issue, or a power delivery issue. The laptop came with a Pentium B950, not the hottest, or most power-hungry chip. At this point I'm willing to try just about anything as long as it wont brick my laptop. even though its a piece or garbage, its still nice to have something i can watch Netflix on in my bad away from my main rig. Just wondering if anyone had any ides as to what I should try. 

Its either a thermal issue, or a microcode issue.  Throw the old chip back into the laptop as the motherboard/enclosure was not designed, nor qualified, to run on the high TDP chip. 

24 minutes ago, QueenDemetria said:

If the bios has options to disable cores, try disabling one or two of them.

Thanks, I'll see if its an option in the BIOS. Its pretty bare bones though. 

1 hour ago, QueenDemetria said:

unfortunately there is no option in the bios to disable cores. Would there be anywhere else i could do that? 

22 minutes ago, CapitalistCow said:

unfortunately there is no option in the bios to disable cores. Would there be anywhere else i could do that? 

What are the temps like under load?

It could be a getting to hot, and shutting down to protect itself.

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

13 minutes ago, SLAYR said:

What are the temps like under load?

It could be a getting to hot, and shutting down to protect itself.

its running 45C idle and it gets up to around 79C under load. though its crashing even when its idle. 

2 hours ago, QueenDemetria said:

I noticed that the mobo only supports 2 cores. so the other two were disabled by default when i went to check in the power options. 

5 hours ago, CapitalistCow said:

I noticed that the mobo only supports 2 cores. so the other two were disabled by default when i went to check in the power options. 

My guess is that your laptop just doesn't support that CPU, whether its a microcode issue or a VRM issue or whatever. I couldn't find a similar SKU with an i7 or i5, so it looks like Samsung only intended for Ivy Bridge Celrons, Pentiums, and i3s to be used with this PC/motherboard.

9 hours ago, QueenDemetria said:

My guess is that your laptop just doesn't support that CPU, whether its a microcode issue or a VRM issue or whatever. I couldn't find a similar SKU with an i7 or i5, so it looks like Samsung only intended for Ivy Bridge Celrons, Pentiums, and i3s to be used with this PC/motherboard.

Yes, I was afraid this was the case. Well, looks like if I want a functional laptop anytime soon I'm going to have to win that 4,000,000 subscriber giveaway. Not fancying my chances though. Thanks for the help!