HDD to SSD

haxvious

i have a laptop with a single Harddrive, and i want to transfer everything to an SSD but have no extra slots to fit it, its also my boot drive, how do i add all files in my current Harddrive C: to a new ssd that i want to become the new C:

You could get a usb to SATA cable off ebay or amazon for cheap and use that to connect your new SSD and clone your old drive.

REMILIA Mk.IIIE CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X, Cooler: Arctic Freezer II 240 (Noctua NT-H2), RAM: 4x 8Gb sticks of Patriot Viper Steel Series 3600 CL17, Mobo: AsRock X570 Taichi, GPU: Inno3D RTX 3080 iChill x4 10G, Storage: 1TB Intel 670p NVME SSD boot drive, a few 1TB and 512gb SATA/NVME SSDs for game storage, 6 hard drives 1-4 TB, PSU: Corsair RM750 MY2019, Case: Cooler Master Mastercase 5 MC500 (with add-ons, Noctua NF-A14 and Arctic P14 fans), PCIE Cards: Cheap Chinese Marvell 88SE9215 4 port SATA card, Sonnet Allegro USB3.2 Card Monitors: ViewSonic Elite XG270QC (165hz, 1ms MPRT, 1440p, VA, Freesync PP, pneumatic stand), Hp Z27n (IPS, 60hz, 1440p, 8Ms), iiyama G2530HSU-B (75Hz, Freesync, one in landscape, one in Portrait, all on pneumatic monitor stands).

Mic: iSK UPM-1 USB XLR interface with Neewer NW700, Audio: Sabaj A3 160W DAC/AMP + Wharfdale Diamond 220 + Mission MS6 Sub, ifi Zen DAC v2 + ifi Zen CAN, Littledot Mk.II (w/ Soviet Power tubes and British Mulard M8100s/Soviet Voshkod 6JP-EV/ American General Electric JAN 5654W dependent on mood), Sendy Aiva (Primary), Beyer Dynamic DT990 250ohm Black Special Edition, Audeze EL-8 Open Back, Sennheiser HD598SE (modified to be a headset, snapped headband held together with gorilla tape), Mouse: SteelSeries Rival 600, Keyboard: Glorious GMMK ISO with Mengmoda MMD Tactile (main) and Kailh Box Navy (Function keys), Tribosys 3203 brush lubed, Taihao Green forest caps.

KOAKUMA Mk.IB (24/7 Folding Slave PC made of spare parts): CPU: Core i7 4770, Cooler: Some small antex cooler with 80mm fan, RAM: 2x 4Gb Sticks of 2400Mhz DDR3, Mobo: Asus H81i-Plus, GPU: R9 390 Nitro+ (barely fits in case), Storage: 256gb Korean no-name SATA SSD, PSU: Corsair CX550 (Gray label), Case: Antec ISK600 ITX case. [Given away to friend]

I transferred my harddrive data to my ssd on my laptop a while ago, all you need is a external USB case, perferable USB 3 if your laptop has a USB 3 slot.

Not sure how easy it is with other SSD companies, but Samsung has a software that comes with their SSD to transfer your data.

8 minutes ago, haxvious said:

i have a laptop with a single Harddrive, and i want to transfer everything to an SSD but have no extra slots to fit it, its also my boot drive, how do i add all files in my current Harddrive C: to a new ssd that i want to become the new C:

Fresh install your OS on it, then transfer the files you want manually. Migrating pre-installed software is a very bad and messy idea.

Every time I've cloned a system drive I had at least one issue that bugged me enough that I ended up doing a clean install anyway so it's better to just start fresh from the beginning.

I used an Easus boot disc to clone my 80gb HDD to SSD with no issues. If you have an available desktop PC you can throw both drives in and go for it. Unplug the desktops own HDD first.

Black Knight-

Ryzen 5 5600, GIGABYTE B550M DS3H, 16Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Asrock RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming,

Seasonic Focus GM 750, Samsung EVO 860 EVO SSD M.2, Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe, Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon

Daughter's Rig;

MSI B450 A Pro, Ryzen 5 3600x, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD, Gigabyte RX 5700 Gaming OC, Corsair CX430

15 hours ago, haxvious said:

~snip~

Hi :)

As the guys suggested, basically your easiest option would be to get a SATA to USB cable, External enclosure or a dock station and connect the SSD externally and clone your existing drive to it. I would, however, advise against this as cloning HDDs to SSDs (especially when the HDD has higher capacity than the target SSD) could result in issues that could both corrupt your data and damage the SSD. When cloned, your system will think it is still working with a HDD and might damage the SSD by not using TRIM or defragging it. I would recommend making a fresh install of the OS on the SSD and then connect the HDD and transfer your data back to the SSD. You would need to reinstall all the games and applications due to the new system registry. 

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/