FPS spikes in league of legends

Perrichicken

Sorry if wrong section wasnt sure, but Im getting fps spikes in league every time I play, like it will go from 450 fps max settings to like 170, and every time it does this the whole game like jumps so its so hard to play. It happens quite frequently and I used to also get it with rocket league but seems a little bit more stable now.

specs:

6600k @  4.3ghz

gtx 1070 @ around 2000 mhz i think

16gb ddr4 @ 2400

my shitty laptop runs it smoother

Also turned off all game sounds as someone thought that might be it

Anyone have any ideas? all software and general updates are installed and up to date, comp is only 1 month old

Update:

i have noticed it typically delays when something happens in league like im about to attack someone it will like freeze and then ill reappear.

I have the same problem but with a worst laptop. 

Intel core i3

Nvidia GT 520m

and I play it with the lowest settings at 20-30 fps. When it drops the computer screen freezes on 2 fps ?

@Perrichicken

Use monitoring software like MSI's Afterburner to log hardware activity during a game.  Play an ARAM or something.

See if anything (CPU/GPU/etc...) is acting abnormally during the game.

17 minutes ago, stconquest said:

@Perrichicken

Use monitoring software like MSI's Afterburner to log hardware activity during a game.  Play an ARAM or something.

See if anything (CPU/GPU/etc...) is acting abnormally during the game.

Thanks will try this now!

Just now, Perrichicken said:

Thanks will try this now!

Yeah, something is going bad with your setup.  We just have to figure out whether it is software or hardware.

41 minutes ago, stconquest said:

Yeah, something is going bad with your setup.  We just have to figure out whether it is software or hardware.

so gpu seemed normal no spikes really just consistent, however cpu had spikes and whatever voltage limit is had just 1 spike every now asnd then close to the time it lags i think.

f00ea557c5d74d4f950f5c3a06288977.png

7 minutes ago, Perrichicken said:

so gpu seemed normal no spikes really just consistent, however cpu had spikes and whatever voltage limit is had just 1 spike every now asnd then close to the time it lags i think.

I would go back to stock CPU settings and test again.  What is your voltage set at for the max overclock n the CPU?

@Perrichicken  I am going to run an ARAM to compare CPU usage, back in 20min.

8 minutes ago, stconquest said:

I would go back to stock CPU settings and test again.  What is your voltage set at for the max overclock n the CPU?

@Perrichicken  I am going to run an ARAM to compare CPU usage, back in 20min.

I oc'd to 4.4 not 4.3 just realised in bios

429732322e644701a9d94a8ada92f3df.jpg

Net1KDd.png

i5 3570K at stock.

My cores were not stressed as much as yours.  Let me try it again, the right way.  I have never actually used Afterburner before.

The spikes are when the game exited.

4H9Bm74.png

1 hour ago, stconquest said:

i5 3570K at stock.

My cores were not stressed as much as yours.  Let me try it again, the right way.  I have never actually used Afterburner before.

The spikes are when the game exited.

Yours seem significantly more consistent, did you check whether your voltage limit does the same as mine?

3 minutes ago, Perrichicken said:

Yours seem significantly more consistent, did you check whether your voltage limit does the same as mine?

No, I did not see that option in Afterburner.  I looked for it.

1 minute ago, stconquest said:

No, I did not see that option in Afterburner.  I looked for it.

Alright well thanks for your help! Maybe the 1070 is bottlenecking with my cpu or something. 

Just now, Perrichicken said:

Alright well thanks for your help! Maybe the 1070 is bottlenecking with my cpu or something. 

Don't give up.  It has nothing to do with any hardware limitation (bottleneck).  There is something wrong.

I run a i5 3570K with a freaking R9 280. 

1 minute ago, stconquest said:

Don't give up.  It has nothing to do with any hardware limitation (bottleneck).  There is something wrong.

I run a i5 3570K with a freaking R9 280. 

Well my gpu is up to date. Can you update cpu I have no idea, Im not sure what else. Fresh install is my last option. Random non-related question, is there any downsides to converting back to windows 7 from 10? Like does it limit any performance in terms of future gaming?

7 minutes ago, Perrichicken said:

Well my gpu is up to date. Can you update cpu I have no idea, Im not sure what else. Fresh install is my last option. Random non-related question, is there any downsides to converting back to windows 7 from 10? Like does it limit any performance in terms of future gaming?

No updating the CPU like you would GPU drivers, not needed.

You will lose DX12 functionality going back to Win 7... BUT... that is a good test.  If you go back to 7 and everything works properly, you know where to look if you want to try Win 10 again.

@Perrichicken  Are you running LOL in Windowed Mode or Fullscreen?  Try switching it from whatever you are using.

5 hours ago, stconquest said:

No updating the CPU like you would GPU drivers, not needed.

You will lose DX12 functionality going back to Win 7... BUT... that is a good test.  If you go back to 7 and everything works properly, you know where to look if you want to try Win 10 again.

@Perrichicken  Are you running LOL in Windowed Mode or Fullscreen?  Try switching it from whatever you are using.

@stconquest I wouldnt of thought this would be a problem considering my system hardware. my 10 year old laptop runs this flawlessly as mentioned previously, so odd :P ill try however

• 2 weeks later...

emm...Id say check for some bloatware. I remember sometime ago, my LoL was spiking as hell. I was hiting a wall with my head, but couldnt find the problem. Then some dude on forums said I should check for some suspicious programs or apps on my pc. In my case it was pandomedia booster or something like that :D I deleted it and game got back to flawless performance. In your case it might be something else but give it a shot :)

6 hours ago, xMishax said:

emm...Id say check for some bloatware. I remember sometime ago, my LoL was spiking as hell. I was hiting a wall with my head, but couldnt find the problem. Then some dude on forums said I should check for some suspicious programs or apps on my pc. In my case it was pandomedia booster or something like that :D I deleted it and game got back to flawless performance. In your case it might be something else but give it a shot :)

Hmm weird, comp is only a month old and no programs are installed or in the process tab in task manager that shouldnt be. Also have run malwarebytes and other scans which come back fine.