Intel i3 6100 Memory?

Hi

I am trying to build a budget pc and i have chosen an intel core i3-6100 and i have watched some videos about it and i found some video which said having good memory (ram) will increase fps and reduce frame drops. Is this correct?

Someone built me this budget build and i thought it was very good but is it worth changing the memory to a 2x4gb memory from a 1x8gb? or shall i just get the 1x8gb and if necessary i will buy the same ram so i will have  2  1x8 gb memorys?

i hope i make sense. anyway in short will a 1x8gb be good enough for the i36100, or shall i get a 2x4gb? also is the memory i actually chose good?

thanks and i appreciate all responses as  i am not the most experienced

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/ynTpBP

If you are using integrated graphics, then yes dual channel memory will be beneficial.

but the speed of the ram also has an impact. 

I would say go for another 8gb stick.

Go with 2 RAM Sticks to use Dual Channeling. And yes, fast RAM has an impact on the PC´s Performance. But more FPS and less Drops? No.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

7 minutes ago, vbest said:

Hi

I am trying to build a budget pc and i have chosen an intel core i3-6100 and i have watched some videos about it and i found some video which said having good memory (ram) will increase fps and reduce frame drops. Is this correct?

Someone built me this budget build and i thought it was very good but is it worth changing the memory to a 2x4gb memory from a 1x8gb? or shall i just get the 1x8gb and if necessary i will buy the same ram so i will have  2  1x8 gb memorys?

i hope i make sense. anyway in short will a 1x8gb be good enough for the i36100, or shall i get a 2x4gb? also is the memory i actually chose good?

thanks and i appreciate all responses as  i am not the most experienced

I dunno who said that but from my knowledge thats 99% false, so unless your doing some specific tasks with memory it won't matter.

the difference with 1x8 and 2x4 that it uses dual channel which doubles bandwidth but no game needs that kind of bandwidth.

EDIT:

Lol just realised that you were talking about igpu, in that case it can help.

On 11/19/2014 at 2:14 PM, Syntaxvgm said:
You would think Ubisoft would support the Bulldozer based architectures more given their digging themed names like bulldozer, Piledriver, Steamroller and Excavator.

Nowadays going with 8 GB ram is a no brainer, 8 GB DDR4 is at 31 dollars on Amazon, Go with single 8 GB one cuz it's cheaper and 2x4 performs identical to 1x8 plus you get expandability for the future.

Just now, Windows 10 said:

Nowadays going with 8 GB ram is a no brainer, 8 GB DDR4 is at 31 dollars on Amazon, Go with single 8 GB one cuz it's cheaper and 2x4 performs identical to 1x8 plus you get expandability for the future.

Assuming that you aren't using integrated graphics

I guess this has some relation to this topic

On 11/19/2014 at 2:14 PM, Syntaxvgm said:
You would think Ubisoft would support the Bulldozer based architectures more given their digging themed names like bulldozer, Piledriver, Steamroller and Excavator.

6 minutes ago, vbest said:

Hi

That's true if you're using integrated gpu.

You do have a dedicated gpu to fit on that budget right?

If so, then it doesn't really matter.

7 minutes ago, vbest said:

This depends on whether 8gb is enough for your needs or not.

If it is, then 2x4gb is fine but if you feel that it won't be enough then 1x8gb is better as you can get another stick to double the capacity in the future.

this is the video i watched which said more memory shown better results for fps

to be honest, i get confused about integrated graphics so idk what im using. 

I am using an RX 460??? 

11 minutes ago, Praesi said:

Go with 2 RAM Sticks to use Dual Channeling. And yes, fast RAM has an impact on the PC´s Performance. But more FPS and less Drops? No.

Im using an RX 460, but i watched this video and it said more memory gives more fps

2 minutes ago, vbest said:

Im using an RX 460, but i watched this video and it said more memory gives more fps

Go with 2x8GB. RAM isnt expensive atm. Interesting Benchs tho. Didnt noticed that much in Games myself. Depends on the Games i guess. Thank you for let me learn something today :)

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

12 minutes ago, Ichi said:

That's true if you're using integrated gpu.

You do have a dedicated gpu to fit on that budget right?

If so, then it doesn't really matter.

This depends on whether 8gb is enough for your needs or not.

If it is, then 2x4gb is fine but if you feel that it won't be enough then 1x8gb is better as you can get another stick to double the capacity in the future.

I am planning on getting an rx 460 gpu so i think its dedicated.

I will mostly be playing fps games, on 1080p and more than 60fps hopefully

1 minute ago, vbest said:

I am planning on getting an rx 460 gpu so i think its dedicated.

I will mostly be playing fps games, on 1080p and more than 60fps hopefully

Correct.

i3 6100 + RX 460 is a balanced build, should do you well there.

If that's all that you're doing with the rig then 8gb RAM is enough I guess.

Just now, Ichi said:

Correct.

i3 6100 + RX 460 is a balanced build, should do you well there.

If that's all that you're doing with the rig then 8gb RAM is enough I guess.

thanks, i watched some benchmarks and i wont be doing any video editing or anything so i think 8gb will be good

9 minutes ago, vbest said:

There's a difference between more memory and faster memory.

Having more RAM (16 VS 8) is a bit helpful if you do lot's of stuff at once. If you are starving on RAM availability, more will help, yes. Say, 20 tabs open along with some movie paused + the game while you have a big spreadsheet minimized. You know, that kinda stuff. Having more RAM will help keep up with that.

FASTER RAM, on the other hand, will pretty much always improve performance, more or less depending on the load and other components. Thing is, in order to even use faster RAM, you need to fork out ~100$ on a Z170 mobo rather than being able to just dump 40$ on a humble H110 one, at which point it makes more sense to invest into an i5 or a better GPU rather than getting an OC capable mobo just for the sake of it.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

4 minutes ago, Imakuni said:

There's a difference between more memory and faster memory.

Having more RAM (16 VS 8) is a bit helpful if you do lot's of stuff at once. If you are starving on RAM availability, more will help, yes. Say, 20 tabs open along with some movie paused + the game while you have a big spreadsheet minimized. You know, that kinda stuff. Having more RAM will help keep up with that.

FASTER RAM, on the other hand, will pretty much always improve performance, more or less depending on the load and other components. Thing is, in order to even use faster RAM, you need to fork out ~100$ on a Z170 mobo rather than being able to just dump 40$ on a humble H110 one, at which point it makes more sense to invest into an i5 or a better GPU rather than getting an OC capable mobo just for the sake of it.

Wow thanks for the explanation, it explains alot :)

i am on a budget so i dont think i can invest for an i5 or a better gpu.

I doubt i will be doing alot of stuff at once so i think it will be better to just go for an 8gb

Also can you please explain the difference between an H110 to a z170 please?

Just now, vbest said:

Wow thanks for the explanation, it explains alot :)

i am on a budget so i dont think i can invest for an i5 or a better gpu.

I doubt i will be doing alot of stuff at once so i think it will be better to just go for an 8gb

Also can you please explain the difference between an H110 to a z170 please?

Z170 allows for RAM and CPU overclocking. H110 does not. There are other differences as well, but those 2 are the big ones you have to worry about.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

Just now, Imakuni said:

Z170 allows for RAM and CPU overclocking. H110 does not. There are other differences as well, but those 2 are the big ones you have to worry about.

thanks for fast response, i doubt i will overclock the cpu or ram as i dont want to overclock much so i will just keep the h110

Thanks you !

bumping this thread for memory but i have important question,

I was researching stuff about i3 6100, i said earlier that faster ram speed increases fps but i just found out some stuff and is someone able to confirm this information?

"""Additionally, we benched the i3 6100 twice, first of all using the full 2666MHz bandwidth of our Corsair Vengeance DDR4 modules, and then paring that back to 2133MHz in order to match the memory restrictions on the H170, B150 and H110 motherboards more likely to be utilised for budget builds. And as the benchmarks came in, the results were fascinating - in many CPU-bound scenarios, the i3 6100 is significantly faster with higher-speed RAM. We devised the gaming benchmark set-up to eliminate the GPU as the limiting factor in performance but what is clear is that not only is CPU pushed to the fore, memory bandwidth is too. """

I dont understand this too much but some experienced users may. i am planning on getting a H110M-A   motherboard so does that mean i should only bother with a 2133mhz speed ram?   Asus H110M-A Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard

I also just checked this  http://ark.intel.com/products/90729/Intel-Core-i3-6100-Processor-3M-Cache-3_70-GHz   and it said the memory types for the i3 6100 are 

Memory Types DDR4-1866/2133, DDR3L-1333/1600 @ 1.35V

Is someone able to explain this, and does this mean i have to go with a 2133mhz ram speed??

thank you so much if you are able to help

7 hours ago, vbest said:

bumping this thread for memory but i have important question,

I was researching stuff about i3 6100, i said earlier that faster ram speed increases fps but i just found out some stuff and is someone able to confirm this information?

"""Additionally, we benched the i3 6100 twice, first of all using the full 2666MHz bandwidth of our Corsair Vengeance DDR4 modules, and then paring that back to 2133MHz in order to match the memory restrictions on the H170, B150 and H110 motherboards more likely to be utilised for budget builds. And as the benchmarks came in, the results were fascinating - in many CPU-bound scenarios, the i3 6100 is significantly faster with higher-speed RAM. We devised the gaming benchmark set-up to eliminate the GPU as the limiting factor in performance but what is clear is that not only is CPU pushed to the fore, memory bandwidth is too. """

I dont understand this too much but some experienced users may. i am planning on getting a H110M-A   motherboard so does that mean i should only bother with a 2133mhz speed ram?   Asus H110M-A Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard

I also just checked this  http://ark.intel.com/products/90729/Intel-Core-i3-6100-Processor-3M-Cache-3_70-GHz   and it said the memory types for the i3 6100 are 

Memory Types DDR4-1866/2133, DDR3L-1333/1600 @ 1.35V

Is someone able to explain this, and does this mean i have to go with a 2133mhz ram speed??

thank you so much if you are able to help

Sorry for bumping but I really want this answered

thank you

Tbh for your price point you are better off getting used parts. You can get a very solid used pc for your budget with a proper quad core cpu and a better gpu as well. 

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

7 hours ago, vbest said:

I dont understand this too much but some experienced users may. i am planning on getting a H110M-A   motherboard so does that mean i should only bother with a 2133mhz speed ram?

I'll explain how RAM works so that you can understand what's going on.

There's no "2400mhz" RAM. Or 2666. Or 3000. There's only one thing, as far as DDR4 goes: 2133mhz RAM. And that's it. What differentiates a "2666"mhz kit is that the manufacturer tried to OC and found out that when the sticks were stable when asked by the mobo to run at that frequency. But, they are still plain old regular sticks like any other, they are just rated higher.

So if your mobo won't allow for RAM OCing, can you buy a 4000mhz kit? Yeah, you can, it'll work perfectly fine; it'll just run at 2133mhz. If it was cheaper, why not just buy it, then? If it's more expensive, though, there will be no point in getting it.

17 hours ago, Jumper118 said:

Tbh for your price point you are better off getting used parts. You can get a very solid used pc for your budget with a proper quad core cpu and a better gpu as well. 

I dont like buying used items but what used parts would you recommend if i was to buy some?

thanks

16 hours ago, Imakuni said:

I'll explain how RAM works so that you can understand what's going on.

There's no "2400mhz" RAM. Or 2666. Or 3000. There's only one thing, as far as DDR4 goes: 2133mhz RAM. And that's it. What differentiates a "2666"mhz kit is that the manufacturer tried to OC and found out that when the sticks were stable when asked by the mobo to run at that frequency. But, they are still plain old regular sticks like any other, they are just rated higher.

So if your mobo won't allow for RAM OCing, can you buy a 4000mhz kit? Yeah, you can, it'll work perfectly fine; it'll just run at 2133mhz. If it was cheaper, why not just buy it, then? If it's more expensive, though, there will be no point in getting it.

Thank you for the explanation, would you recommend me changing the mobo so i am able to get a faster ram? because mine is limited to 2133 or would it not be worth?

Thanks man

15 minutes ago, vbest said:

I dont like buying used items but what used parts would you recommend if i was to buy some?

thanks

Thank you for the explanation, would you recommend me changing the mobo so i am able to get a faster ram? because mine is limited to 2133 or would it not be worth?

Thanks man

A used gpu would get you much better value for money. Maybe a GTX 970.  Also a used cpu and motherboard combo like a Haswell i5 with a mobo and ram. 

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016