Gaming rig for Minecraft and beyond (for my Uncle and cousin))

NimRock

Hi All,

I'm helping my uncle build a rig for his 10 year old son. The it's for gaming, probably at 1080p, and the hope is that it can grow with him. My Uncle wants to go reasonable higher end within reason, and reliability is a focus.

Needs wi fi, and a Nvidia shield compatible GPU.

I haven't put together a rig for a year or so, so I'm after some general feed back, especially if anything has changed in the last year or so.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($343.85 @ PB Technologies)
Motherboard: Asus H110M-A/M.2 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($120.74 @ PB Technologies)
Memory: Kingston FURY 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2666 Memory  ($106.99 @ PB Technologies)
Storage: Samsung 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($132.24 @ PB Technologies)
Storage: Seagate Desktop HDD 4TB 3.5" 5900RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($212.75 @ PB Technologies)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB SC Gaming ACX 3.0 Video Card  ($748.99 @ PB Technologies)
Power Supply: Corsair CXM 550W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply
Wireless Network Adapter: Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I PCI-Express x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter
Total: $1665.56
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-09-11 21:24 NZST+1200

Monitor and peripherals/case to taste.

Questions

- I'm not super clear on mobo sockets, what's the difference between the M-A and M-K versions etc?

- What's the deal with Kaby-lake, from Wikipedia the clock speeds look lower than skylake?

- For reliability are we still talking Kingston Ram, ASUS Mobos, Intel/Samsung SSDs?

Any thoughts and criticism is welcome.

Thanks

This config is overkill for your needs but if you are spending this much you should go with a i5 6600k with a cpu cooler & a z170 motherboard. There is no point of buying just a 6600 if you are already spending this much of money.

Would try get a K skew processor and respective motherboard and you could always save some money on the wifi card as the performance difference between them is next to nothing. This also goes without saying but get the hyper 212 from CPU cooler from cooler master. Should go well with the cpu.

PS .... YOU ARE MISSING A CASE !

In terms of reliability. RAM is almost all the same and they have lifetime warranty. Asus make good MB and so do Gigabyte.  Get whichever one is cheaper that fits your CPU.

Samsung make reliable SSDs, but intel is slightly more expensive.

Comparing processors between generations doesn't make much sense because they are built on a different architecture so same clock speed might be faster on the new.

Thanks for the feedback,  wi fi card is the cheapest one i could find with ac but i might have missed something. 

Perhaps a 1060 would be a better fit? 

Any reason to get a k series processor if they will definitely not overclock? 

On 11/09/2016 at 10:07 PM, Flavlus said:

Would try get a K skew processor and respective motherboard and you could always save some money on the wifi card as the performance difference between them is next to nothing. This also goes without saying but get the hyper 212 from CPU cooler from cooler master. Should go well with the cpu.

PS .... YOU ARE MISSING A CASE !

In terms of reliability. RAM is almost all the same and they have lifetime warranty. Asus make good MB and so do Gigabyte.  Get whichever one is cheaper that fits your CPU.

Samsung make reliable SSDs, but intel is slightly more expensive.

Comparing processors between generations doesn't make much sense because they are built on a different architecture so same clock speed might be faster on the new.

Thanks for the feedback,  wi fi card is the cheapest one i could find with ac but i might have missed something. 

Perhaps a 1060 would be a better fit? 

Any reason to get a k series processor if they will definitely not overclock? 

I'll let then pick the case :)

On 11/09/2016 at 10:05 PM, Sahil10416 said:

This config is overkill for your needs but if you are spending this much you should go with a i5 6600k with a cpu cooler & a z170 motherboard. There is no point of buying just a 6600 if you are already spending this much of money.

When you say overkill do you mean the cpu/gpu are not balanced, or that is too much for minecraft etc and Other games a 10 year old would play? 

4 hours ago, NimRock said:

When you say overkill do you mean the cpu/gpu are not balanced, or that is too much for minecraft etc and Other games a 10 year old would play? 

nope, overkill means that the cpu & gpu are much more powerful than you actually need to play those games. This hardware is almost top of the line to play any game.

5 hours ago, Sahil10416 said:

nope, overkill means that the cpu & gpu are much more powerful than you actually need to play those games. This hardware is almost top of the line to play any game.

Where would you cut back? 

9 hours ago, NimRock said:

Where would you cut back? 

I think you have 2 choices: either buy a i5 6600k with a z170 motherboard or replace your current cpu with i5 6500 because buying a i5 6600 is just wastage of money. (personally i would suggest you to buy a 6500)

For gpu a gtx 1060 (evga gtx 1060 sc) is more than enough for playing these games (& any other game at 1080p) if you are not going to use a 4k screen.   

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($273.00 @ IJK)
CPU Cooler: Deepcool GAMMAXX 300 55.5 CFM CPU Cooler  ($24.00 @ CPL Online)
Motherboard: ASRock H110M-DGS Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($78.00 @ IJK)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($95.70 @ Newegg Australia)
Storage: OCZ Trion 100 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($64.00 @ CPL Online)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($68.00 @ CPL Online)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB GAMING Video Card  ($385.00 @ Umart)
Power Supply: Antec High Current Gamer 520W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($99.00 @ CPL Online)
Wireless Network Adapter: Asus PCE-AC56 PCI-Express x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter  ($75.00 @ IJK)
Total: $1161.70
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-09-13 17:15 AEST+1000

45 minutes ago, Sahil10416 said:

I think you have 2 choices: either buy a i5 6600k with a z170 motherboard or replace your current cpu with i5 6500 because buying a i5 6600 is just wastage of money. (personally i would suggest you to buy a 6500)

For gpu a gtx 1060 (evga gtx 1060 sc) is more than enough for playing these games (& any other game at 1080p) if you are not going to use a 4k screen.   

Right I see, the price difference here between the 6600 and 6500 is only about 20 USD, (30 NZD) I'm not sure if it's that similar else where, but I'd usually spend the $30 and since it's such a little chunk of the overall price, which will make the system viable if you end up wanting up upgrade the GPU in a few years (not that I ever actually do).

I'm not sure if they price difference is that slight elsewhere.

I was unsure on the GPU, the 1060 does seam to handle 1080p very well, and the 1060 to 1070 difference is pretty huge price wise.

3 minutes ago, NimRock said:

Right I see, the price difference here between the 6600 and 6500 is only about 20 USD, (30 NZD) I'm not sure if it's that similar else where, but I'd usually spend the $30 and since it's such a little chunk of the overall price, which will make the system viable if you end up wanting up upgrade the GPU in a few years (not that I ever actually do).

I'm not sure if they price difference is that slight elsewhere.

I was unsure on the GPU, the 1060 does seam to handle 1080p very well, and the 1060 to 1070 difference is pretty huge price wise.

The 6500 boosts to 3.6GHz.  The 6600 boosts to 3.9GHz.  That is the main difference in the CPUs.  8% at most.

For 1080p gaming, the 1060 is the smart choice.  It is like having a GTX 980, but with better DX12 support.