Dolby Digital Live Hickups and Distortion

Hello guys,

I understood after quite some research, how to get, real dolby digital sound. The clue, is to have a sound card supporting ddl, streaming sound to it, via a supperted device, mostly directly via usb and then output this signal to a ddl supporting device via the supported input.

So i achieved this with the following:

SoundBlaster X-FI Sourrund 5.1

Astro A50 / Logitech z906

SoundBlaster is connected via USB to PC and then with SPDIF Toslink to Astro A50.

So DDL is now working perfect.

But i have 2 minor issues which are a bit annoying to me.

Sometimes the sound transimition shortly stops, I would call it a hickup. It's just a small interruption of the signal transmition (~0,5s).

The secound problem is, as long as no software directly hook ups the sound card, I have some weird distoration sounds (mostly weird click sounds)

As a side note, the USB cable and SPDIF Toslink cable, are both high quality cables, and the USB & Toslink cable are both 0,5m long.

So is this a normal behavior of DDL? Is this a buffer overflow or sth else? Is it because of the very old SoundBlaster Sound Card? 

I also have an Asus Xonar U7, but i don't use it, because the SPDIF out is Coxial and I would need an converter plugged in between astro headset and soundcard.

Are there any solutions for me? 

tia Synergi

How's your CPU utilization? Does it happen on all applications? Increasing the priority of creative's processes helps sometimes. Giving another USB port a try may also be worth it.

Creative's drivers are pretty bad in my experience (I used dts connect / dolby digital live before). It works great on certain setups and doesn't on others. I hope you can get it running solid.