1st Real Server Build!

I have been wanting to build a personal server for quite some time. I have a HTPC currently filling both roles for me.

I started a PC Part Picker list to keep track of what I have and how much I paid. FOUND HERE

Spoiler
CPU   Intel Quad Core Xeon X5460 LGA771 $15.00  
    Intel Quad Core Xeon X5460 LGA771 $20.00  
Motherboard   Intel S5000PSL Dual Socket LGA771 Server Motherboard $30.30  
Memory   Hynix SERVER RAM 32Gb (8 x 4Gb) 2Rx4 PC2-5300F DDR2 $18.00

I forgot about heatsinks when I ordered the processors so that is my current issue.

I have not decided if I will settle for a 1u or 2u server case because I really want a workstation case (to look like a desktop). 

Does anyone have any advice on this? I believe the mobo is the standard E-ATX size but I haven't verified and can't find any remotely cheap.

The only decently priced heatsinks I can find are around $20 for 2 passively cooled ones.

Does anyone know of a good way to cool these if they are not in a server case specifically designed for that? I have heard some people mention zipties but no pictures of their setups.

1 Don't buy xeon e54xx and older cpu's there hot, power hungry and missing many features.

2. You seem to have the wrong ram. I think that board needs fb-ddr2, not ddr2 ecc

3. If your buying a server case, you might as well get the whole server, its cheaper and have many more fun features.

Here is a server that is newer and faster, much lower power, and works out of the box http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-PowerEdge-FS12-TY-C2100-2X-QC-E5506-2-13GHz-NO-HDD-12xTRAYS-16GB-4x4GB-/252041596944?hash=item3aaed99010:g:S9wAAOSw~gRVr9yF

• 3 weeks later...

I found the manual online for the motherboard and the ram I bought (I searched the full model number) is on the list of supported memory. I am having trouble getting the system to post though. I finally took the time to put the parts I have together and I am not getting anything.