Looking for a headset

Maihym

So I'm looking for a headset that's around $70 including tax and shipping. I want something with great audio and mic quality. I don't mind if it's wireless or wired but I would prefer it to be black or black/red.

HyperX Cloud or Cloud Pro

Main Desktop

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600X @ 3.6GHz, Stock Cooler

MOBO: ASUS ROG STRIX B350 F Gaming motherboard

RAM: 32GB(4x8GB) Team T-FORCE Night Hawk RGB 3000MHz DDR4

GPU: ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 4070ti 12GB

STORAGE: 1TB Western Digital Blue HDD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda, 250GB Samsung 850 Evo, 1TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus, 240GB WD Green M.2 SATA SSD

CASE: Montech King 95 Pro

PSU: Be Quiet! Straight Power 12 1000W

Monitor: Samsung Oddessy G6 27" 1440p, Viewsonic VX2455 144Hz

Mouse: Logitech G502 Lightspeed Wireless Mouse

Keyboard: ASUS Flare II Animate

Headphones: HyperX Cloud Alpha S Black

Microphone: HyperX Quadcast S

WIFI: ASUS PCE-AC55BT

https://au.pcpartpicker.com/user/johnno12/saved/gKgD23

Laptop:

Spoiler

Dell Inspiron 15-5000

CPU: i5-8250U Quadcore with hypertheading

GPU: AMD Radeon 540 4GB Hybrid Graphics

Storage: Micron 1100 SATA 256GB SSD

2 minutes ago, johnno124 said:

HyperX Cloud or Cloud Pro

Would these be good for gaming? Especially something like CSGO where you need to be able to locate off of sound.

4 minutes ago, Maihym said:

Would these be good for gaming? Especially something like CSGO where you need to be able to locate off of sound.

That's what they advertise. The Cloud and the Siberia are pretty much those "stereo gaming headsets". If you're looking for something with that sound detection you'll want a headset with Dolby Surround, or if you're poor you can just use Razer Surround software + standard Stereo headset. It works, and I think they have a free version. This is probably the model you'll want:

3 minutes ago, MaxBunny said:

That's what they advertise. The Cloud and the Siberia are pretty much those "stereo gaming headsets". If you're looking for something with that sound detection you'll want a headset with Dolby Surround, or if you're poor you can just use Razer Surround software + standard Stereo headset. It works, and I think they have a free version. This is probably the model you'll want:

I don't know what kind of headset that is. All they say is that it's $50. I don't mind it but is it a good headset? I don' want to buy another headset and turns out it's not that great.

2 minutes ago, Maihym said:

I don't know what kind of headset that is. All they say is that it's $50. I don't mind it but is it a good headset? I don' want to buy another headset and turns out it's not that great.

You don't get great for $70 including shipping and taxes. :P

Just now, MaxBunny said:

You don't get great for $70 including shipping and taxes. :P

I understand that but I want to get the best thing that I can for that price.

A 'gaming' headset isn't the best option imo.

My suggestion would be a set of head phones that are open back. This will have a much better sound stage than VSS (virtual surround sound). Add on a mod mic and you will have a very good budget setup. Mind you, with a budget of 70, the HyperX cloud 1 not 2, is most likely your best bet. It is based on the TacStar headphones that are good for the price.

If you truly want virtual surround, go for the Cloud 2, as they come with a VSS sound card, either that or go with Cloud 1 and get the razer virtual surround non pro that is free; again having open back headphones is MUCH better.

Case: Manta Mini ITX Black
CPU: I5-6600K
CPU: Cooler: Corsair H105
Ram: 16Gb (2x8Gb) 2133Mhz HyperX 
GPU: 1070 Sea Hawk X
Storage: 120Gb, 480Gb Intel SSD 
PSU: 650W EVGA Bronze

Peripheral: 144Hz VG248QE TN, 60Hz MX239H IPS, Bose Companion 5 2.1 TrueSpace, M65 Corsair 8200DPI, Razer Vespula Foam Wrist mouse pad, K70 Corsair Mechanical Red backlit, ATH-ADG1 AudioTechnica Open back, Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro Closed back, DXracer Drift series

1 minute ago, PKValkyrie said:

A 'gaming' headset isn't the best option imo.

My suggestion would be a set of head phones that are open back. This will have a much better sound stage than VSS (virtual surround sound). Add on a mod mic and you will have a very good budget setup. Mind you, with a budget of 70, the HyperX cloud 1 not 2;, is most likely your best best. It is based on the TacStar headphones that are good for the price.

If you truly want virtual surround, than go for the Cloud 2, as they come with a VSS sound card, either that or go with Cloud 1 and get the razer virtual surround non pro that is free; again having open back headphones are MUCH better.

I'm leaning towards the HyperX Cloud Pro, they seem like a good headset.

@Maihym That is a good enough setup. The variations on Core, Pro, Cloud 1 and 2 are only in the extra features; such as sound card, velour ear pads etc. They are all still using the same drivers. Do not expect great sound stage and pin pointing enemy locations with a closed back setup though. VSS will give a slightly distorted faux sound stage that MIGHT help.

Peripheral: 144Hz VG248QE TN, 60Hz MX239H IPS, Bose Companion 5 2.1 TrueSpace, M65 Corsair 8200DPI, Razer Vespula Foam Wrist mouse pad, K70 Corsair Mechanical Red backlit, ATH-ADG1 AudioTechnica Open back, Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro Closed back, DXracer Drift series

Just now, PKValkyrie said:

@Maihym That is a good enough setup. The variations on Core, Pro, Cloud 1 and 2 are only in the extra features; such as sound card, velour ear pads etc. They are all still using the same drivers. Do not expect great sound stage and pin pointing enemy locations with a closed back setup though. VSS will give a slightly distorted faux sound stage that MIGHT help.

What is a closed back setup?

Closed back headphones/headsets are enclosures that isolate the sound to only you. Most likely having leather earpads etc.

Open back are headphones/headsets that have perforations or grills that let sound leak out to the surrounding environment. This will create a better sound stage for gaming as you can pinpoint better where enemy footsteps are; most open back headphones/sets suffer from lack of bass while closed back have more emphasis on the low end from the enclosed design. Closed designs suffer from a greatly reduced sound stage (this is what the gimmicky virtual surround sound is supposed to fix)

What would you guys say about the Logitech G35? It seems like a wired version of the G930.

My only advice would be : don't buy a steelseries siberia, while they are good headphone (comfortable, good sound, good mic) they won't last you long...
Iv'e bought 5 for my employes and 4 of these 5 had major problem within 1 year. Dead microphone, Left ear not working, dead USB controller.

Iv'e heard good stuff of the Hyper X Cloud series.

23 minutes ago, Mullion said:

My only advice would be : don't buy a steelseries siberia, while they are good headphone (comfortable, good sound, good mic) they won't last you long...
Iv'e bought 5 for my employes and 4 of these 5 had major problem within 1 year. Dead microphone, Left ear not working, dead USB controller.

Iv'e heard good stuff of the Hyper X Cloud series.

But what about the Logitech G35?

37 minutes ago, Maihym said:

But what about the Logitech G35?

HyperX clouds are better. I have had the G35 a long time ago and they are not good.

Logitech is also just not that good with audio...

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

14 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

HyperX clouds are better. I have had the G35 a long time ago and they are not good.

Logitech is also just not that good with audio...

Alright, are you suggesting the pro?

7 minutes ago, Maihym said:

Alright, are you suggesting the pro?

I would get what ever Cloud model that is the cheapest for you, they all use the same driver and sound the same...

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.