Good Headset?

MasamotoTakeshi
4 minutes ago, MasamotoTakeshi said:

Looking at Asus STRIX 7.1 headset. It has great reviews but has a hefty price tag. https://www.asus.com/Headphones-Headsets/STRIX_71/ 

Any suggestions to headsets of similar quality and features? Or should I just save for the STRIX.

g933 (though a bit pricy, but really nice)

wired : cloud2

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

3 minutes ago, MasamotoTakeshi said:

Looking at Asus STRIX 7.1 headset. It has great reviews but has a hefty price tag. https://www.asus.com/Headphones-Headsets/STRIX_71/ 

Any suggestions to headsets of similar quality and features? Or should I just save for the STRIX.

I've used my Razer tiamat 7.1 for 4 years and it's been great. but you can definetly hear when the speakers turn off. in my opinion virtual 7.1 is better because it's more fluent. what games will you be playing?

There's no need for gimmicky overpriced headsets. 

Either get a HyperX Cloud or normal decent headphones with a modmic.

From salty to bath salty in 2.9 seconds

Just now, MagnusGrønstad said:

I've used my Razer tiamat 7.1 for 4 years and it's been great. but you can definetly hear when the speakers turn off. in my opinion virtual 7.1 is better because it's more fluent. what games will you be playing?

I'm looking to get into much more serious gaming because I am upgrading my PC. So any triple A titles and such. 9_9

Just now, MasamotoTakeshi said:

I'm looking to get into much more serious gaming because I am upgrading my PC. So any triple A titles and such. 9_9

the thing is, not many games really utilize 7.1. however, virtual 5.1 is very well developed and i personally didn't notice much difference between 7.1 and 5.1 in the only games i have that support it (battlefield series)

7 minutes ago, MasamotoTakeshi said:

So it has a built in sound card? I think that's why the price is so high. And it's "ASUS". :P 

If you want a good headset the Plantronics Rig 500e is great. Comes with dolby surround and open or closed earcups you can switch out (or replace without having to buy a new headset). Downsides are: the USB wire is a bit short, and the only optional designs are all camo.

Cheaper good options are the Clouds, Siberia, and I guess Logitech but they never seem to upgrade their sound quality in any new iterations (it's always "features").

So what specific headsets would be suited towards my needs? They would also be used for a lot of music  work as well. :D

25 minutes ago, MasamotoTakeshi said:

So what specific headsets would be suited towards my needs? They would also be used for a lot of music  work as well. :D

hyperx cloud 2

oh dear god (facepalm)

They get good reviews because the people who reviews them has only tried gaming headsets, also this is the list of headsets that are somewhat good value with good sound. 

HyperX cloud (all of them)

Sennheiser Game zero

Sennheiser Game one

Beyerdynamic MX300

Audio-technica ATH-ADG1X

Audio-technica ATH-AG1X

That is pretty much them all.

All of this 7.1 is BS, it is just software and the few headsets with "real" surround sound has so many shitty small drivers that are not synced that well up and the drivers are also way too close to your ears to give you real surround sound.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

I do agree with Dackzy in terms of the gimmicky gaming lable that headsets come with. Often times they are very overpriced with terrible mics and average sound quality.

I personally avoid vss-virtual surround but if you really wanted it, razer has a free surround sound program.

As for Dackzys list I would add on the BeyerDynamic Custom One Pro or V Moda. They are both head phones with optional oem boom mics for headset conversion without modmic. Beyer, Vmoda, Sennheiser and Audiotechnica are well regarded in the hifi circles. 

Open back headphones give better soundstage for competitive use than virtual surround or those tinny real surround headsets.

As for "sound cards" its essentially a dac thats outside of your computer case. The ones provided by the mmx300 and ath-adg1 (both $300.00 headsets) are cheap usb ones that give a better noise floor. They are not essential unless for clinical listening.

Case: Manta Mini ITX Black
CPU: I5-6600K
CPU: Cooler: Corsair H105
Ram: 16Gb (2x8Gb) 2133Mhz HyperX 
GPU: 1070 Sea Hawk X
Storage: 120Gb, 480Gb Intel SSD 
PSU: 650W EVGA Bronze

Peripheral: 144Hz VG248QE TN, 60Hz MX239H IPS, Bose Companion 5 2.1 TrueSpace, M65 Corsair 8200DPI, Razer Vespula Foam Wrist mouse pad, K70 Corsair Mechanical Red backlit, ATH-ADG1 AudioTechnica Open back, Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro Closed back, DXracer Drift series

44 minutes ago, PKValkyrie said:

As for Dackzys list I would add on the BeyerDynamic Custom One Pro or V Moda. They are both head phones with optional oem boom mics for headset conversion without modmic. Beyer, Vmoda, Sennheiser and Audiotechnica are well regarded in the hifi circles. 

I did not add that, because you need to buy the mic alone and therefor not one package 

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.