Old GPUs

Vindicator

So, as my first Topic here, I would like to see if anyone has any old GPUs.

I personally have in my possession a 2008 XFX GeForce 9600 GT:

• - 512MB GDDR3 RAM,
  • - 650MHz Core Clock,
  • - 1008MHz Memory Clock,
  • - PCI-E 2.0,
  • - Direct X 10,
  • - 64 Cuda Cores.

However, all is saved because it supports SLI (as if that would make much difference as of now)

What old or old-ish GPUs do you guys have laying around? I'd love to see them!

And yes, I am still using this card in my rig. 

Obligatory picture!!

9600 GT.jpg

9400GT, zalman cooler, thing works like a charm.

9800GT, 600mhz stock, overclocks to 700Mhz without any issues, maybe higher, can't remember.

And i found an old ATI Radeon x300 in my pile a while ago, maybe there are more cards in there, no idea :D

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

3 minutes ago, szomeret said:

I have a GeForce MX 440

but I can't seem to find it. 

64MB of memory :D

I suddenly feel better about my GPU, hahahaha

I am a bit of a sucker for older hardware though... I'd like to start collecting it

I tried the oven fix on a old artifacting 8800gt

And now i have a working 8800gt that runs csgo no problem on medium

(with core 2 duo e7500 4gb ram)

When its tearing, you have gone to far

GeForce 9400 GT

1GB DDR2

Stock:550 MHz

Red (Soon to be Retired)CPU: FX-8350 Cooler: CM 212 Evo  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1060 6GB RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX 1866MHz Mobo: Asus M5A97 LE R2.0 SSD: Kingston 128 GB (Boot), Samsung 860 EVO 500 GB (Main Games) HDD: WD Black 1 TB (Storage + Older Games) PSU: EVGA W1 500W Monitor: Dell ST2220l 21.5". Peripherals: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 Keyboard, Razer Deathadder Mouse, SteelSeries mosepad, 

Just now, Hekmeneer said:

I tried the oven fix on a old artifacting 8800gt

And now i have a working 8800gt that runs csgo no problem on medium

(with core 2 duo e7500 4gb ram)

I'm lucky in that my 9600 hasn't died, I get a few artifacts when it get's over 70c due to ambient temps being higher, but it manages to run CSGO at upto 40fps in windowed mode in a lower res than 720p

6 minutes ago, Vindicator said:

I'm lucky in that my 9600 hasn't died, I get a few artifacts when it get's over 70c due to ambient temps being higher, but it manages to run CSGO at upto 40fps in windowed mode in a lower res than 720p

I run csgo at 1080p (which really suprised me) i really need to get thermalpads because thermalpaste doesnt work for vrm heatsinks they keep falling of TAPE FTW

Are you able to monitor your temps ? Mine has no sensor

14732026417831474724154.jpg

When its tearing, you have gone to far

3 minutes ago, Hekmeneer said:

I run csgo at 1080p (which really suprised me) i really need to get thermalpads because thermalpaste doesnt work for vrm heatsinks they keep falling of TAPE FTW

Are you able to monitor your temps ? Mine has no sensor

14732026417831474724154.jpg

That looks amazing

I use MSI Afterburner, it picks up the temp.

The fan on your GPU is much larger so I expect it can cool down a lot more efficiently - I'd have more luck blowing onto the 9600 myself...

Lying around:

Capture1.PNG

Actually in use: Diamond HD 4870 1gb, in my htpc with a q6700. Good thing you made this thread, so I remembered to clean the old girl. 

Capture.PNG.b0707d694d732ee17790cfecadb46ed6.PNG

Capture.PNG

13 minutes ago, ace_cheaply said:

Lying around:

*snippety snip*

Both of those look really nice, especially the 8800, it's actually really nice to see I am not the only one with a somewhat old and quite bad Graphics Card in my possission

6 minutes ago, Vindicator said:

Both of those look really nice, especially the 8800, it's actually really nice to see I am not the only one with a somewhat old and quite bad Graphics Card in my possission

Yeah, it still works, too!  Just use the 4870 because of the 1gb ram vs 768mb. HUGE difference, you know.  Like, a full  256 MB.  Haha.  Been thinking about replacing it with an rx 460 though, since you can get one for ~$100.  Of course, my wife would probably kill me since I spent so much on my 6700k/1070 build...So the 4870 lives on a little longer. :D 

2 minutes ago, ace_cheaply said:

Yeah, it still works, too!  Just use the 4870 because of the 1gb ram vs 768mb. HUGE difference, you know.  Like, a full  256 MB.  Haha.  Been thinking about replacing it with an rx 460 though, since you can get one for ~$100.  Of course, my wife would probably kill me since I spent so much on my 6700k/1070 build...So the 4870 lives on a little longer. :D 

If only I had a nicer rig haha, I did buy an EVGA 780 SC, 3GB to go in my new i5 3570s build that I am *working on*, but as of yet I still have parts to collect...

I hope one day to get an overkill rig built but justifying the cost is a problem (:

I've some agp and pci cards packed, but laying around... the X1550 I've found today in the trash (with a pretty nice P5W DH Deluxe)

This is a signature.

11 minutes ago, Vindicator said:

If only I had a nicer rig haha, I did buy an EVGA 780 SC, 3GB to go in my new i5 3570s build that I am *working on*, but as of yet I still have parts to collect...

I hope one day to get an overkill rig built but justifying the cost is a problem (:

It's hard to justify it to myself, looking back. I have a hard time compromising though, and with microcenter, amazon prime, and jet.com discounts I got a pretty good deal on everything. Just bought my last item yesterday, 32gb G skill 3000mhz ram, with jet's 15% off coupon for any first time buyer/new account holder ;) , 1.5% off for debit card, 1.5% off for declining free returns, and 2% off for buying multiple items, i got both 16gb kits for $120.  You can get an i3 4160 or 6100 for $105 right now, and i5 for $150, and lots of other good stuff using their discounts (Triple15, shop15, shop10).  If you're in the states, might be somewhere to look for those last few parts. Case, psu, ram, et cetera.  I bought my 1070 there, and paid $383 more than a month ago when they were still $450+.

9 minutes ago, ace_cheaply said:

It's hard to justify it to myself, looking back. I have a hard time compromising though, and with microcenter, amazon prime, and jet.com discounts I got a pretty good deal on everything. Just bought my last item yesterday, 32gb G skill 3000mhz ram, with jet's 15% off coupon for any first time buyer/new account holder ;) , 1.5% off for debit card, 1.5% off for declining free returns, and 2% off for buying multiple items, i got both 16gb kits for $120.  You can get an i3 4160 or 6100 for $105 right now, and i5 for $150, and lots of other good stuff using their discounts (Triple15, shop15, shop10).  If you're in the states, might be somewhere to look for those last few parts. Case, psu, ram, et cetera.  I bought my 1070 there, and paid $383 more than a month ago when they were still $450+.

Lol, just realized this looks like I'm shilling for Jet...I am in no way affiliated, lol. I just love discounts, and you don't see them that often applicable to all tech on the site at any time.  I bought my cpu, mobo, and original ram from microcenter where you get $30 off a mobo when you buy a cpu, and $20 off of ram.  Then i bought the case, cpu cooler, ssd, and hdd's on amazon on sale, along with the psu on newegg, and my new ram and gpu on jet. I'm an equal opportunity discount hunter, lol.  

Just now, ace_cheaply said:

Lol, just realized this looks like I'm shilling for Jet...I am in no way affiliated, lol. I just love discounts, and you don't see them that often applicable to all tech on the site at any time.  I bought my cpu, mobo, and original ram from microcenter where you get $30 off a mobo when you buy a cpu, and $20 off of ram.  Then i bought the case, cpu cooler, ssd, and hdd's on amazon on sale, along with the psu on newegg, and my new ram and gpu on jet. I'm an equal opportunity discount hunter, lol.  

I love a discount too, it's always nice to get money off, sometimes an extra $20 can get slightly better hardware!

Hi I'm an competitive gamer from South Africa, As I am still a college student I don't have the money for a new or even high end  GPU my setup is as follows:

P7h55-M/usb3 Asus MB

with a i5-760 (LGA 1156)

8g Kingston 1333 Ram

7200rpm 2tb Segate HRam

and a msi gtx 750 TF oc (1g)

550watt PS.

and recently played BF1 and my PC absolutely SUCKED at play it hardly holding a constant 60fps at 1600x900. Now I could sell my card and buy a Zotac gtx 670 4g card would that be a "smart"  move?

10 minutes ago, grim46 said:

Hi I'm an competitive gamer from South Africa, As I am still a college student I don't have the money for a new or even high end  GPU my setup is as follows:

P7h55-M/usb3 Asus MB

with a i5-760 (LGA 1156)

8g Kingston 1333 Ram

7200rpm 2tb Segate HRam

550watt PS.

and recently played BF1 and my PC absolutely SUCKED at play it hardly holding a constant 60fps at 1600x900. Now I could sell my card and buy a Zotac gtx 670 4g card would that be a "smart"  move?

While you really should start your own topic to get more replies, I will say that a 670 4gb would be a pretty capable card, especially at that resolution.  It is faster than a 270x, about equivalent to a 280/7950.  Meaning that while it will be slower than an rx 470 and 480, it will still be faster than an rx 460 and gtx 1050.   With all that said, if you can get it for less than $100, or whatever the going price there is for a 460 or used 280x/280/7970/7950, then it will be an upgrade from a 750, or even 750ti.  

I believe it is actually a 760 with slower memory, similar to how a gtx 680 is exactly the same as a 770 with slower memory, but I'm not positive.  How much can you sell the 750 for, and how much will the 670 cost?  The 4gb will be an advantage, for sure. 

2 minutes ago, Mohitb said:

I think old gpu's are really cool. It is really sad that all I have is a zotac gtx 1070 founders.

Just now, ace_cheaply said:

Yes, so sad. I cry for you, everytiem.

I agree, you poor, poor thing, such a bad GPU..... :P

I can cell my gtx 750 for round about the same price a the Zotac that is why I'm soooooo interested in the card.

2 hours ago, grim46 said:

I can cell my gtx 750 for round about the same price a the Zotac that is why I'm soooooo interested in the card.

Then yes, go for it.  A 670 4gb is a noticeable upgrade from a 750 1gb, because the vram alone will give you way more options.  For no cost or little cost it is a no brainer.

On 7/9/2016 at 2:30 AM, grim46 said:

P7h55-M/usb3 Asus MB

with a i5-760 (LGA 1156)

8g Kingston 1333 Ram

7200rpm 2tb Segate HRam

550watt PS.

LOL YOU ARE THE FIRST GUY WITH ALMOST THE SAME PC I HAVE xD