Would you be interested in me doing a iSwitched from Windows to Linux for 30 days?

Right so I got this idea from a unit that we are doing in college and we are required to set ourselves a goal and write a diary about what we did to achieve it for aprox. 30 days. So one of my ideas is that I should give Linux a shot. My plan is to switch from Windows 8 to Elementary OS Luna as a daily driver (apart from gaming) to see if I can do it for 30 days and what I will gain out of it. I will try to compare both of the systems and application alternatives that they both offer and give advantages and disadvantages.

Now my question is would you read the whole article if I would create one stating my observations and what I did every day for 30 days updating it daily? also which sub forum do you thing I should put it in?

Please leave your vote above in the poll and any suggestions bellow in the comments :D

EDIT: keep in mind that I've had brief experience with Linux a while ago and I will be dual booting both systems.

The topic is up:https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/65626-iswitched-from-windows-to-linux-for-30-days/ I have decided to put it in the Member Reviews sub forum since this will be more like my personal review and comparison between the two systems and it seemed like a good place to put it.

im going to do an iswitch to win 8.1 and see if i can survive without the start menue 

If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough it will be believed.

-Adolf Hitler 

I don't see why not, go for it! I for one would enjoy it  :)

Spoiler

I would do it.

Desk: monitors 3x Asus VE248h(eyefinity), Keyboard Cm Strom Trigger(mx red), Mouse Corsair m65, Headset Audio Technica ATH-M50

Black Friday 2013 Build: i7 4770k, Gigabyte Z87X UD5H, 16gb Corsair, Msi R9 290, Corsair Axi 760, Corsair 750D, 2x intel 530 240gb ssd, 2x Seagate 400gb

Older Machine amd x640, msi 760g mobo, 8gb gskillz, Sapphire 6870, Corsair hx650, Cooler master haf 922, ocz agility 3 120gb ssd || HTPC: i7 3770k, shuttle xpc z77, 16gb gskillz, Asus GTX 650 ti, intel 120gb msata ssd

im going to do an iswitch to win 8.1 and see if i can survive without the start menue 

My boss just did that in my office (he hated the idea of Metro from the beginning). It has been a month and he actually doesn't mind it at all now. This is just 8, not 8.1 of course.

Corsair 900D | MSI MPower Max Z87 AC | i7-4790K @ 4.7Ghz | 1080 Ti SLI | 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400 
XSPC Raystorm | EK-FC Nickel GPU block/backplate | 2x Alphacool UT60 480mm & XT45 240mm | 11x Linus Edition NF-F12
Schiit Modi/Magni 2 Uber | 5" KRK Rokit G3 | KRK 10S2 | Acer Predator X34 | Dell S2716DG

Right so I got this idea from a unit that we are doing in college and we are required to set ourselves a goal and write a diary about what we did to achieve it for aprox. 30 days. So one of my ideas is that I should give Linux a shot. My plan is to switch from Windows 8 to Elementary OS Luna as a daily driver (apart from gaming) to see if I can do it for 30 days and what I will gain out of it. I will try to compare both of the systems and application alternatives that they both offer and give advantages and disadvantages.

Now my question is would you read the whole article if I would create one stating my observations and what I did every day for 30 days updating it daily? also which sub forum do you thing I should put it in?

Please leave your vote above in the poll and any suggestions bellow in the comments :D

EDIT: keep in mind that I've had brief experience with Linux a while ago and I will be dual booting both systems.

I'd read it but if you've not had much experience with Linux before it's basically just gonna be "nothing will work properly". I've been using it for a year and I'm still pretty bad with it xD

Fortunately people on this forum are pretty good when it comes to helping out with it though :)

crunchbang!!!!

| 3570k @ 4.5 | swiftech h220 ordered after patent issues | EVGA 660ti SC 3gb | 8gb gskill ripjaws | Asus p8z77-v lx | Corsair Ax 750 | Asus Xonar DS | Corsair C70 white | CM quickfire rapid mx browns | G500 | 

I'd read it but if you've not had much experience with Linux before it's basically just gonna be "nothing will work properly". I've been using it for a year and I'm still pretty bad with it xD

Fortunately people on this forum are pretty good when it comes to helping out with it though :)

Well I'm all about figuring things out on my own so that kind of what I expect from it :P

crunchbang!!!!

Too lightweight for me I like to have a nice UI which is also a reason why I'm going with Elementary OS not Ubuntu (by all means Ubuntu's UI is cool but I prefer Elementary OS one) I would have used Crunchbang! on my netbook but my wireless doesn't have a driver for Linux so I'm using Windows 7 :P

yeah its a little lightweight...lol.  Yeah but anything but the new ubuntu is ok :D

| 3570k @ 4.5 | swiftech h220 ordered after patent issues | EVGA 660ti SC 3gb | 8gb gskill ripjaws | Asus p8z77-v lx | Corsair Ax 750 | Asus Xonar DS | Corsair C70 white | CM quickfire rapid mx browns | G500 | 

yeah its a little lightweight...lol.  Yeah but anything but the new ubuntu is ok :D

What's wrong with 13? I'm still on 12.04 and it's all good (well, as good as u can expect from Ubuntu xD)?

What's wrong with 13? I'm still on 12.04 and it's all good (well, as good as u can expect from Ubuntu xD)?

kQznEFo.jpg

Slow and buggy in my opinion. Should've stuck with 12.04 on my laptop

Although 100% for you trying it :)

Compatible with Windows 95

kQznEFo.jpg

Slow and buggy in my opinion. Should've stuck with 12.04 on my laptop

Although 100% for you trying it :)

Looks pretty awful. Think I'll stick with 12.04 LTS lol. Just got it to play nice with 2 separate networks anyway.

I'm putting linux on my laptop later today. 

#KilledMyWife 

LTT's Resident Black Star

I should get an award for still being here at this point 

i dont see my self moving to linux. but im interested to see this

as long as people are switching to linux :)