Camera Engineer?

Yali

So I have an idea.

I would like to start a camera company. Sounds intense, but hear me out.

The thing with Super 35 cameras is that they are expensive. For indies and people that can't afford a red or another body, there is no option.

My idea is to start a new company. I want to build budget bodys. Not cheap but less expensive. It doesnt have to have premium features. I would just say around 1-2k without calculating.

• Canon EF bayonett (cheap glass options)
  • Recording options up to 3840 x 2160, 50fps. (Something like that)
  • Super 35 sensor.
  • 10+ Stops
  • Recording to CFast or SD
  • No screen. But an HDMI output.
  • Using cheap canon batteries.
  • No audio recorder. But an XLR or 1/4 for audio input. (External audio recorder required.)

I want to give a chance to people which cant afford the gear but have the talent.

So now I need your help. I need people that have expereince with this kinda stuff.

Maybe its impossible manufacturing a camera with these components for such a low price.

If you think you can help, or contribute, let me know.

(Unhelpful replies are unhelpful.)

This is just daydreaming, so just give your input and assume everything is possible.

I am stoked for your replies!

-ydiddle

99 Kid. Yes. A 'Youngster'.

World famous Couchpotatoe.

Good luck using licensed parts and making any money. Keep dreaming though, someday it might become something realistic.

Just now, Rune said:

Good luck using licensed parts and making any money. Keep dreaming though, someday it might become something realistic.

That's what i call unhelpful, for example look up blackmagic. Oh wait, they are using fucking 'licensed parts' because they partnered up with canon. This kinda stuff exists you know.

Just now, Yali said:

That's what i call unhelpful, for example look up blackmagic. Oh wait, they are using fucking 'licensed parts' because they partnered up with canon. This kinda stuff exists you know.

That's what I call realistic. I can guarantee you they didn't start out asking for information about their most basic business concept on a public forum. But hey, when you're out there rolling with money I'll go ahead and eat one of my shoes. Don't let your dreams be dreams.

Just now, Rune said:

That's what I call realistic. I can guarantee you they didn't start out asking for information about their most basic business concept on a public forum. But hey, when you're out there rolling with money I'll go ahead and eat one of my shoes. Don't let your dreams be dreams.

It was an easy question, on a forum, because forums are the for questions. Maybe I have a good source of income, maybe i have- / someone else has connections to canon or nikon (i dont) but dont make prejudices. What I wrote down is an idea. Nothing major but when you want people to be uncreative and not dream go on.

3 minutes ago, Yali said:

snip

I may not be the most experienced but apparently "I have a talent for filming" (I also can't afford Ursa Minis)

Basically,  by using parts from other manufacturers, who too want to make a profit, means you will have to jump the price of the cameras to make money while not providing decent quality. I know if I was running and gunning I wouldn't want to be stuck in an awkward position trying to look at a screen mounted elsewhere on the camera. 

I would recommend that you use software like Autodesk Inventor and electronically make a body for your planned camera bodies, so that way you could submit those plans into a factory in china or a mass production factory in order to get a quote on the cost. I'm a bit skeptical on C-fast storage so maybe go SSD. Cheap Canon batteries? Maybe try 18650 batteries in a plastic pack to give it that professional feel. XLR input is a great idea but I would recommend adding any cheap mic, you have no idea how many times integrated mics have saved me. 

Just summing up, if you have a passion about saving people money spent on professional cameras, then this is a great way to go, I don't know the accurate pricing on the parts and the cost to manufacture but I would recommend maybe getting a Kickstarter or prior funding. Publicization also helps heaps.

If you go through with this idea I wish you the best. Good luck my friend.

I suck a typing, preparw for typos.

Desktop

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x MOBO: MSI X570-A Pro RAM: 32 GB Corsair DDR4

GPUS: Gigabyte GTX 1660ti OC 6G  CASE: Corsair Carbide 100R STORAGE: Samsung Evo 960 500GB, Crucial P1 M.2 NVME 1TB   PSU: Corsair CX550M CPU COOLER: Corsair H100x

LAPTOP

Apple Macbook Pro 13 M1 Pro

1 minute ago, another random person said:

I may not be the most experienced but apparently "I have a talent for filming" (I also can't afford Ursa Minis)

Basically,  by using parts from other manufacturers, who too want to make a profit, means you will have to jump the price of the cameras to make money while not providing decent quality. I know if I was running and gunning I wouldn't want to be stuck in an awkward position trying to look at a screen mounted elsewhere on the camera. 

I would recommend that you use software like Autodesk Inventor and electronically make a body for your planned camera bodies, so that way you could submit those plans into a factory in china or a mass production factory in order to get a quote on the cost. I'm a bit skeptical on C-fast storage so maybe go SSD. Cheap Canon batteries? Maybe try 18650 batteries in a plastic pack to give it that professional feel. XLR input is a great idea but I would recommend adding any cheap mic, you have no idea how many times integrated mics have saved me. 

Just summing up, if you have a passion about saving people money spent on professional cameras, then this is a great way to go, I don't know the accurate pricing on the parts and the cost to manufacture but I would recommend maybe getting a Kickstarter or prior funding. Publicization also helps heaps.

If you go through with this idea I wish you the best. Good luck my friend.

Oh, good to know! Yeah that's true. I just listed some stuff that came to mind but your right. I get the screen thing. It would reduce cost but its probably better even if its just a cheapass 480p display.. SSD is a good idea, they arent even that expensive anymore. I have to look into the batteries, never heard of them. I am not sure about the mic... a bult in stereo maybe?

I think i should first just a getto prototype before i ask for money tho... But yeah you got it, i basically thought about an option for people that cant even afford an ursa mini. Thank you for the input and the idea with innovator!

I'm sorry what?

First off i don't know jack about cameras but what you're asking for is as a new manufacturing process. The cheapest 35 sensor i could find is a black magic URSA mini with 4k 60fps at 3k usd. There's no throwing around of components that you can find to make it perform the same and cost half as much. Think of it like gtx980 and the gtx1060. They perform pretty close with each other but the 1060 is cheaper because its made using a different process.

TLD: 35 sensors will get cheaper when manufactures figure out how to make them cheaper.

Just now, Yali said:

Oh, good to know! Yeah that's true. I just listed some stuff that came to mind but your right. I get the screen thing. It would reduce cost but its probably better even if its just a cheapass 480p display.. SSD is a good idea, they arent even that expensive anymore. I have to look into the batteries, never heard of them. I am not sure about the mic... a bult in stereo maybe?

I think i should first just a getto prototype before i ask for money tho... But yeah you got it, i basically thought about an option for people that cant even afford an ursa mini. Thank you for the input and the idea with innovator!

A viewfinder would be all that's needed because if you are set up in a fixed location, you can use a HDMI display but if you are running and gunning a viewfinder would be great. Some variants of the 18650 battery have capacities of up to 9900Mah and run at 3.7 volts. Yes, any form of prototype would greatly help out with your product as many companies make multiple product prototypes before even marketing it. Yeah basically a built-in stereo to record sound without any external mic.

I suck a typing, preparw for typos.

Desktop

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x MOBO: MSI X570-A Pro RAM: 32 GB Corsair DDR4

GPUS: Gigabyte GTX 1660ti OC 6G  CASE: Corsair Carbide 100R STORAGE: Samsung Evo 960 500GB, Crucial P1 M.2 NVME 1TB   PSU: Corsair CX550M CPU COOLER: Corsair H100x

LAPTOP

Apple Macbook Pro 13 M1 Pro

2 hours ago, Yali said:

So I have an idea.

I would like to start a camera company. Sounds intense, but hear me out.

The thing with Super 35 cameras is that they are expensive. For indies and people that can't afford a red or another body, there is no option.

My idea is to start a new company. I want to build budget bodys. Not cheap but less expensive. It doesnt have to have premium features. I would just say around 1-2k without calculating.

• Canon EF bayonett (cheap glass options)
  • Recording options up to 3840 x 2160, 50fps. (Something like that)
  • Super 35 sensor.
  • 10+ Stops
  • Recording to CFast or SD
  • No screen. But an HDMI output.
  • Using cheap canon batteries.
  • No audio recorder. But an XLR or 1/4 for audio input. (External audio recorder required.)

I want to give a chance to people which cant afford the gear but have the talent.

So now I need your help. I need people that have expereince with this kinda stuff.

Maybe its impossible manufacturing a camera with these components for such a low price.

If you think you can help, or contribute, let me know.

(Unhelpful replies are unhelpful.)

This is just daydreaming, so just give your input and assume everything is possible.

I am stoked for your replies!

-ydiddle

BlackMagic already has a Super35 camera that uses EF mount with 12 stops of DR, they call it the Ursa Mini and it IS within the price range of many people who are serious about cinematography.  Of course the price range is not for hobbyists.  Hobbyists can use DSLRs and Mirrorless cameras.  Super35 is approximately the same size as an APS-C sensor on a DSLR.  A Sony A6300 can record up to 4K30p and with the E-mount it can take on almost any lens (with the right adapters of course).  It also has HDMI out and a mic input.

It may cost around $5000 to kit up a Ursa Mini 4K EF mount (from scratch, meaning someone who doesn't already own any accessories) but $5000 is pretty cheap.

I'm not saying your dream is a bad one, however you are facing quite a few strong competitors.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

1 hour ago, ALwin said:

BlackMagic already has a Super35 camera that uses EF mount with 12 stops of DR, they call it the Ursa Mini and it IS within the price range of many people who are serious about cinematography.  Of course the price range is not for hobbyists.  Hobbyists can use DSLRs and Mirrorless cameras.  Super35 is approximately the same size as an APS-C sensor on a DSLR.  A Sony A6300 can record up to 4K30p and with the E-mount it can take on almost any lens (with the right adapters of course).  It also has HDMI out and a mic input.

It may cost around $5000 to kit up a Ursa Mini 4K EF mount (from scratch, meaning someone who doesn't already own any accessories) but $5000 is pretty cheap.

I'm not saying your dream is a bad one, however you are facing quite a few strong competitors.

That's true. I have a mini. There are just a few things that i think could be done better and cheaper. But you have a point!

3 hours ago, another random person said:

A viewfinder would be all that's needed because if you are set up in a fixed location, you can use a HDMI display but if you are running and gunning a viewfinder would be great. Some variants of the 18650 battery have capacities of up to 9900Mah and run at 3.7 volts. Yes, any form of prototype would greatly help out with your product as many companies make multiple product prototypes before even marketing it. Yeah basically a built-in stereo to record sound without any external mic.

didnt even think about it. But yeah, a viewfinder of course haha. Maybe i get to play around with inventor today, im stoked!

3 hours ago, cangath said:

I'm sorry what?

First off i don't know jack about cameras but what you're asking for is as a new manufacturing process. The cheapest 35 sensor i could find is a black magic URSA mini with 4k 60fps at 3k usd. There's no throwing around of components that you can find to make it perform the same and cost half as much. Think of it like gtx980 and the gtx1060. They perform pretty close with each other but the 1060 is cheaper because its made using a different process.

TLD: 35 sensors will get cheaper when manufactures figure out how to make them cheaper.

Well, yeah it would be a new camera ;) new camera, new manufacturing process

30 minutes ago, Yali said:

That's true. I have a mini. There are just a few things that i think could be done better and cheaper. But you have a point!

Also, what you basically described would be something like a BlackMagic Micro Cinema Camera with a Super35mm sensor instead of Super16, and the ability to record 4K.

But I do agree that there are many improvements that could be made to the design of the Ursa Mini.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer