NEW PC build (2000USD budget, indefinite HW)

Crimluck

Hello everybody,

Name is David and my friend Tom over here, greetings from Czech Republic~!

So we've been looking around, thinking, debating, had fights about different builds with whatever CPU, GPU etc.

And well, we're really not sure which way we should head to.

Our budget is around $2 000 USD or 50 000 CZK (+/- $200/5000CZK, depending on if it's really worth it).

Right now what Tom mainly does on his notebook is playing League of Legends (ton of it, 1000+ hours of it) at somewhere around 25FPS (David: tho he's really good at it). He's really into League of Legends, before that he played quite a bit of DOTA 2 as well. He'd also love to play some more graphically demanding titles but due to his notebook that is really an impossible task.

Main task: GAMING

So this is where we are. In his budget should also fit a monitor and a keyboard as he's got nothing to "build up from".

Right now what is imperative are the innards of the PC I guess.

CPU: i5-6600K or i7-6700K?

CPU cooler: Noctua NH-D15

Motherboard: we've got no idea which one would be the most suitable in this situation

RAM sticks/dimms: really whatever (David says 16GB at the very least, he is a heavy Chrome user)

GPU: GTX 1070 (some version of it with an aftermarket cooler/ing)

PSU: we would like to leave it to y'all

SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB

HDD: 1TB or 2TB (or none)

PC case: Corsair 760T (Tom loves the look of this case)

Monitor: *unknown* 144Hz if it would fit in the price range

Keyboard: *unknown*

David here: Now if I could ask all of you to also write some compelling reasons as to WHY to choose THIS component over this or that. I would be immensely grateful to y'all. My words are hitting a wall right now.

Some websites for the price reference in Czech Republic: Alza.cz or Heureka, as we've got +21% VAT the prices vary by quite a bit in the end.

1000 thanks to anybody that replies to this post in advance! Thank you very much for reading this post and sorry if it is confusing. I'll try to edit/clarify A.S.A.P.

Best regards,

David & Tom

GPU I would go with EVGA

PSU again, EVGA g2/p2

for motherboard just make sure that you get a z170 board so you can overclock

2 minutes ago, Crimluck said:

- snip -

CPU - You should be fine with the 6600k, as video games do not usually use that many threads.

RAM - 16GB wouldn't be that expensive, especially with it being DDR4 (2 x 8 GB should work out fine for most ATX mobos as it gives room for expansion during the future)

Video Card - A GTX 1070 works fine for most AAA games, and so it's obvious that he should be able to achieve good framerates on a lighter game such as LoL & most MOBAs.

PSU - Just get something ~700W  with a good, trustworthy manufacturer (probably overkill)

Motherboard - Just choose a random one that has the features you want, just make sure it's Z170 chipset so you can OC.

Storage - Go for a speedy SSD so your system can boot quickly and make sure to get at least 1 hard drive, preferably 2TB+, but at least 1TB  (after a few years junk starts to pile up, along with your library of Steam games)

Case - Just choose something that you like (within your budget), 'cause you're gonna end up staring at it for the next couple of years.

For the CPU cooler, monitor and keyboard I have very little experience with and will therefore not recommend anything in those categories.

Want to know which mobo to get?

Spoiler

Choose whatever you need. Any more, you're wasting your money. Any less, and you don't get the features you need.

Only you know what you need to do with your computer, so nobody's really qualified to answer this question except for you.

chEcK iNsidE sPoilEr fOr a tREat!

Get the i7.  Motherboard, get something that you like that's Z170.  I would go with the Gigabyte G1 Gaming 1070.  DEFINITELY go with a Corsair PSU.

26 minutes ago, Crimluck said:

i7 6700 non K most likely unless the K part isn't much more

Then you only need a decent budget board like one of the MSI VD boards

Far as the GPU+display goes, it more economical to get like a 470 or 480 with a 1080p 144hz free-sync display, a G-sync display should cost a fair amount more

i7 6700 vs i7 6700K maybe a 10fps difference at most in some games, the non K part already turbos to 4ghz, average OC is probably going to end up around 4.5ghz on the K part, though in the US the K part is only $20 more atm

and if you can afford the i5 6600K + Z170 + aftermarket cooler, you'd be better off with the i7 6700 + budget board for the same price, 4 cores at 4ghz turbo + Hyperthreading > 4 cores at 4.5ghz

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?