Hey folks!

So, I'll be starting school again and besides other stuff I'll have to deal with Linux and Windows based OS and server systems.

Which means that I either have to find a way to install Linux (either Debian or Ubuntu) besides OS X on my MacBook Pro 8,1 (late 2011) model, buy a new laptop just for Linux and Windows or win the Razer giveaway.

But what I'd really like to do is save the money for a new laptop and have a triple boot on my MacBook. First of all, the MacBook works well and it would save me another 1200 bucks on a new machine.

Secondly, if it's possible, I'd do it, left alone for learning reasons.

Has one of you ever installed Linux on a MacBook before?
As far as I know I'd have to deal with a boot handler called "rEFInd" in order to be able to boot Linux on my Mac. But does that also work while OS X and Windows is installed?
Windows isn't an option because Bootcamp deals well with it, but I'm curious about the Linux part.

Also, the criteria at school just says "Linux based OS" so I'd really like to stick with Debian or at least Ubuntu for various reasons.

And yes, I did research on googe and the Ubuntu and Debian Wiki's but the informations there are a bit outdated.

And tbh I'd love an answer here from my fave tech heads. ;)

I will appreciate every suggestion.

-Lex

“For if we are truly created equal, then surely the love we commit to one another must be equal as well.” 
― Barack Obama

Tech:

Daily Driver: MacBook Pro 15" TB (mid-2018), Intel Core i7-8850H, 16 GB DDR4 2400 MHz, 512 GB SSD, AMD Radeon Pro 560XWeight lifting: Dell Alienware 15 R4, Intel Core i7-8750H, 16 GB DDR4 2400 MHz SK Hynix, Nvidia GTX 1070 on 15" 1080p TN Gsync 120Hz, Intel Pro 7600p PCIe NVMe 256 GB, Samsung 860 Evo 1TB, 15" 1920x1080 TN Gsync 120Hz, Windows 10 Pro, Fedora 30, K.L, P.OS. The Home Panel: Samsung C34H892, 34" Ultra Wide 3440x1440p, VA, 60Hz.

Tumblr - Riot-Company, CA

I know PowerPC Macs can natively boot Linux though the boot menus, I assume Intel Macs can to? just make a new partition in disk utility and boot off the Linux install media. Shouldn't be that complicated

CPU: Intel Core i7 Extreme Edition 3960X | Motherboard: Intel DX79SR "Stormville" | RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series DDR3 PC3-12800 (4x 8GB) Quad-Channel | GPU: 2x EVGA GTX 970 FTW 4GB in SLI (I have Many other builds plus 100+ Macs (don't judge me)... Many specs are listed on my profile)

[PC#1] Log: [Link] [PC#2] Log: [Link] F@H stats: [Link]

Hey HrutkayMods,

I know the PPCs can do it, probably due to their OpenFirmware "bios". Intel Macs use EFI bios which is why I'm a bit curious. Most websites say you'd need to install a proper boot manager like rEFInd in order to be able to boot Linux.

Other websites say "Just download the AMD64 MAC version of Linux".

And then there's still that one questions: Will it boot all three operating systems properly?

I guess I should put another HDD in my MacBook and just try, huh?

“For if we are truly created equal, then surely the love we commit to one another must be equal as well.” 
― Barack Obama

Tech:

Daily Driver: MacBook Pro 15" TB (mid-2018), Intel Core i7-8850H, 16 GB DDR4 2400 MHz, 512 GB SSD, AMD Radeon Pro 560XWeight lifting: Dell Alienware 15 R4, Intel Core i7-8750H, 16 GB DDR4 2400 MHz SK Hynix, Nvidia GTX 1070 on 15" 1080p TN Gsync 120Hz, Intel Pro 7600p PCIe NVMe 256 GB, Samsung 860 Evo 1TB, 15" 1920x1080 TN Gsync 120Hz, Windows 10 Pro, Fedora 30, K.L, P.OS. The Home Panel: Samsung C34H892, 34" Ultra Wide 3440x1440p, VA, 60Hz.

4 hours ago, LexCalifornia said:

Hey HrutkayMods,

I know the PPCs can do it, probably due to their OpenFirmware "bios". Intel Macs use EFI bios which is why I'm a bit curious. Most websites say you'd need to install a proper boot manager like rEFInd in order to be able to boot Linux.

Other websites say "Just download the AMD64 MAC version of Linux".

And then there's still that one questions: Will it boot all three operating systems properly?

I guess I should put another HDD in my MacBook and just try, huh?

I boot 2 copies of OS X and 2 of Windows without any problems on my Pro (btw I have about 25 vids and counting on youtube about stuff on macs like this if you'd be interested... anyway). I'd say yeah just try it it can't hurt, I'm considering experimenting with Linux very soon on my Pro in fact. It'd probably be setup like doing a Windows install maybe?

EDIT: yeah it sounds like you might need another boot loader and or make sure it doesnt overwrite os x

CPU: Intel Core i7 Extreme Edition 3960X | Motherboard: Intel DX79SR "Stormville" | RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series DDR3 PC3-12800 (4x 8GB) Quad-Channel | GPU: 2x EVGA GTX 970 FTW 4GB in SLI (I have Many other builds plus 100+ Macs (don't judge me)... Many specs are listed on my profile)

SO I tested it on my pro. (it doesn't like 32bit efi and had to start the install in windows) It should show up fine in the boot menu as a WIndows install media (and should boot fine with 64bit efi). The default boot menu will work fine, but it will identify the Linux disk as a Windows disk. other than that youl'll just have to play around with it to get it to load completely (i'm not great with Linux and it has a waited too long kick into shell error but it should work once I tinker with it some)

On 6 September 2016 at 7:32 AM, HrutkayMods said:

SO I tested it on my pro. (it doesn't like 32bit efi and had to start the install in windows) It should show up fine in the boot menu as a WIndows install media (and should boot fine with 64bit efi). The default boot menu will work fine, but it will identify the Linux disk as a Windows disk. other than that youl'll just have to play around with it to get it to load completely (i'm not great with Linux and it has a waited too long kick into shell error but it should work once I tinker with it some)

Hey hey!

Thank for for playing the mice! :D

As far as I've read you really need rEFInd to get it to boot properly. Also there's a thing called SIP (System Integrity Protection) that needs to be disabled to run Linux properly on a Mac (applies to 10.10 and newer?). I'll get another SSD and will try it out. Still disabling some "protection" sounds like toasting in a microwave but whatever. We'll see if it works. :D

I might be lucky having a late 2011 MacBook because otherwise (also as far as I've read) you need to edit start options for display resolution and probably the GPU if you have dedicated. (Still dedicated GPUs aren't the greatest choice for running Linux on, duh).

But I'll definitely try it. I mean, I'm so used to use my Mac for all the business purposes, writing, emails, etc and I'd really rather run around with just one notebook. When I've tested it (and didn't smash something out of rage), I'll report back. :)

Thanks again for trying it out. That really gives me hope! :D

-Lex

― Barack Obama

Tech:

5 hours ago, LexCalifornia said:

Hey hey!

Thank for for playing the mice! :D

As far as I've read you really need rEFInd to get it to boot properly. Also there's a thing called SIP (System Integrity Protection) that needs to be disabled to run Linux properly on a Mac (applies to 10.10 and newer?). I'll get another SSD and will try it out. Still disabling some "protection" sounds like toasting in a microwave but whatever. We'll see if it works. :D

I might be lucky having a late 2011 MacBook because otherwise (also as far as I've read) you need to edit start options for display resolution and probably the GPU if you have dedicated. (Still dedicated GPUs aren't the greatest choice for running Linux on, duh).

But I'll definitely try it. I mean, I'm so used to use my Mac for all the business purposes, writing, emails, etc and I'd really rather run around with just one notebook. When I've tested it (and didn't smash something out of rage), I'll report back. :)

Thanks again for trying it out. That really gives me hope! :D

-Lex

No problem, and SIP started with 10.11, very easy to disable. Just boot into the recovery disk from the boot menu. Open Terminal and type "csrutil disable" It's not really going to hurt anything its just another layer of security to prevent malicious code and some "dangerous" programs from running. The OS is still pretty secure with the security updates coming in and I wouldn't worry about it at all

Good luck!

8 hours ago, HrutkayMods said:

No problem, and SIP started with 10.11, very easy to disable. Just boot into the recovery disk from the boot menu. Open Terminal and type "csrutil disable" It's not really going to hurt anything its just another layer of security to prevent malicious code and some "dangerous" programs from running. The OS is still pretty secure with the security updates coming in and I wouldn't worry about it at all

Good luck!

You're right, started with El Capitan. So, you're saying that SIP is for preventing installing malicious software such as Windows? Nice! :D

Well, this will be an interesting journey to make. If everything works you just saved me from buying a new notebook! Hoorah! :)

Thanks again! I'll try it out.

-Lex

― Barack Obama

Tech:

I'm a bit late here, but I may be able to offer some help. I've been running Linux on my MacBook Pro 9,2 for a little while now without any major issues.

Like HrutkayMods said, it's a pretty straight forward install. I first installed Arch Linux on my MacBook, and used rEFInd installed from OS X to manage the dual boot. Since then I've moved to Solus, which installs it's own EFI bootloader "goofiboot" by default.

In terms of running Linux on a MacBook, things have been pretty smooth. Battery life isn't quite as good as OS X, but the battery is only capable of charging to 74% anyway. It seems to get little hotter under Linux than OS X, but only when watching video in Chrome for extended periods of time. I'd recommend installing "TLP" and "thermald" if your distribution doesn't come with them pre-installed.

The Arch Wiki is a great place for Linux information, even if you're not gonna be running Arch. Here's the page on your MacBook Pro: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/MacBookPro8,1/8,2/8,3_(2011)

And finally, good luck! :D If you run into any problems or have any questions, I'd be more than happy to help in any way I can ;)