Is MTU setting router or PC sided?

AstroBenny

I saw a few articles about changing MTU size (not that I need to) but was interested whether this setting is done through a PC or the router settings? - Because my router has the option to change the MTU size but I'm also seeing articles which say "How to change MTU in windows" eg:https://support.zen.co.uk/kb/Knowledgebase/Changing-the-MTU-size-in-Windows-Vista-7-or-8
Are they independent of each other?
Thanks 

I don't like 2D games...I just couldn't get into them.. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Both. Your MTU setting on the router basically governs all external or external bound traffic and the one on your PC will be for that specific client. I believe the general rule of thumb is to set both to 1500 or just leave it to the system to determine the size to use. If your MTU is larger on your PC than the router, you may end up sending a packet that is too big for your router, so it will have to fragment/segment the packet in order to send it. This *can* slow down the transfer of the packet, but it's generally negligible. 

5 hours ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

Both. Your MTU setting on the router basically governs all external or external bound traffic and the one on your PC will be for that specific client. I believe the general rule of thumb is to set both to 1500 or just leave it to the system to determine the size to use. If your MTU is larger on your PC than the router, you may end up sending a packet that is too big for your router, so it will have to fragment/segment the packet in order to send it. This *can* slow down the transfer of the packet, but it's generally negligible. 

Cheers

I don't like 2D games...I just couldn't get into them.. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)