Help needed on network hardware selection

Alphabloom

I am currently deciding on buying a replacement modem for my BoBlite (an Aussie telco provided ADSL2+ modem/router/VOIP) and I'm not sure which one to buy. I was thinking of buying an cheap TD-8840T or TD-8817 as they are only to be used as bridges to my asus RT-AC68U. I was wondering will I loose performance torrenting as apparently the TP link modems have small NAT's and RAM? (I will need more explanation on this point)  

Maybe relevant information? 

My primary uses for the internet include: Games, torrents, web browsing.

A max of 7 devices or so are connected to the network at all times.

Any help would be grand because my network needs an overhaul.

If your just going to use it as a bridge then have a look at a Dreytek Vigor 120, very good and very cheap. I use one at home to bridge my ADSL2+ connection to my FortiGate firewall using PPPoE passthrough/Half Bridge. This means the Dreytek is only initiating the ADSL connection and intercepting the PPPoE login from the firewall and converting it to a PPPoA. The firewall or in your case the RT-AC68U gets the public IP address and does the NAT'ing.

http://www.draytek.net.nz/draytek/support/passthrough/

1 minute ago, leadeater said:

If your just going to use it as a bridge then have a look at a Dreytek Vigor 120, very good and very cheap. I use one at home to bridge my ADSL2+ connection to my FortiGate firewall using PPPoE passthrough/Half Bridge. This means the Dreytek is only initiating the ADSL connection and intercepting the PPPoE login from the firewall and converting it to a PPPoA. The firewall or in your case the RT-AC68U gets the public IP address and does the NAT'ing.

http://www.draytek.net.nz/draytek/support/passthrough/

thanks for your feedback, I work at umart and I have work tomorrow so I was hoping I could buy something from my work and sadly we don't supply Dreytek :/ but I guess If i get either of the TP links, it will sit as a dumb modem since everything would be handled by the asus?

1 minute ago, Alphabloom said:

thanks for your feedback, I work at umart and I have work tomorrow so I was hoping I could buy something from my work and sadly we don't supply Dreytek :/ but I guess If i get either of the TP links, it will sit as a dumb modem since everything would be handled by the asus?

Yea basically it's all up to how the bridging is done for what the TP-Link is actually going to do. The more you can pass down the line to the RT-AC68U the better.

4 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Yea basically it's all up to how the bridging is done for what the TP-Link is actually going to do. The more you can pass down the line to the RT-AC68U the better.

Cheers, do you know much about the differences between the TD-8840T and the TD-8817 apart from the ethernet ports?